FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Cheapest delta flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994726-cheapest-delta-flight.html)

boniam Nov 8, 2019 8:57 pm

Cheapest delta flight

does anybody know which route may have cheapest delta flight? I want to buy close to $50 using a ecredit and amex to trigger amex credit.

pdxkat Nov 8, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by boniam (Post 31717552)
does anybody know which route may have cheapest delta flight? I want to buy close to $50 using a ecredit and amex to trigger amex credit.

one way PDX-SEA in basic economy is under $50
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bf089bea07.png

sydneyracquelle Nov 9, 2019 5:45 am

I have done some mileage runs ATL>BNA>ATL for $48 one way in BE on Saturdays booked well in advance.

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by boniam (Post 31717552)

I'm confused. You don't seem to care about the route, so aren't you planning to take the flight? If you don't fly, what benefit do you expect to get from spending the ecredit (voucher) you have and triggering the AmEx credit?

boniam Nov 9, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31718916)
I'm confused. You don't seem to care about the route, so aren't you planning to take the flight? If you don't fly, what benefit do you expect to get from spending the ecredit (voucher) you have and triggering the AmEx credit?

I have about $42 ecredit which most likely will expire. I also recently opened delta credit card. I hope to spend couple of $s on that by booking a ticket using ecredit that i have and triggering delta $50 credit. Make sense or terrible idea?

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Nov 9, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by boniam (Post 31719837)
I have about $42 ecredit which most likely will expire. I also recently opened delta credit card. I hope to spend couple of $s on that by booking a ticket using ecredit that i have and triggering delta $50 credit. Make sense or terrible idea?

If you don't fly the route, and subsequently cancel it, the $42 ecredit that's likely to expire soon will, in fact, expire if its cancelled after the expiration date.
Merging two credits is not supposed to change the expiration date of either.

sydneyracquelle Nov 9, 2019 3:07 pm

Makes sense to me. You book a $48 ATL>BNA BE ticket for a Saturday in the future. Use your $42 credit. Pay the $6. Trigger a $50 AMEX refund. A $44 windfall.

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 2019 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31719876)
Makes sense to me. You book a $48 ATL>BNA BE ticket for a Saturday in the future. Use your $42 credit. Pay the $6. Trigger a $50 AMEX refund. A $44 windfall.

Why would there be a $50 AmEx refund?

Jaimito Cartero Nov 9, 2019 6:42 pm

If this is the DL Amex, mine got triggered by $30 in taxes on an award ticket. I didn’t charge anything after that, so they sent a $50 check after a few months.

gregsfortytwo Nov 9, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31720326)
Why would there be a $50 AmEx refund?

A $50 credit on first Delta purchase is a common part of the sign-up bonus for Delta Amex cards.

bloc0102 Nov 10, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo (Post 31720418)
A $50 credit on first Delta purchase is a common part of the sign-up bonus for Delta Amex cards.

Or the incidental credit from the Amex Platinum.

For the Delta CC credits, I usually buy a drink or can of Pringles on board.

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bloc0102 (Post 31721355)
Or the incidental credit from the Amex Platinum.

For the Delta CC credits, I usually buy a drink or can of Pringles on board.

My point is that for the incidental DL airline credit, I don't see how purchasing the cheap ticket using a small credit would help unless the person wants to actually fly the cheapest ticket to anywhere just to earn miles, but then having only a OW ticket could be a problem if the person wants to return home.

If you try to cancel the ticket, the change fee exceeds the ticket cost and if you cancel within 24 hours, what you paid is returned to the original form of payment and AFAIK the AmEx credit would be clawed back from your account too.

If you make the initial DL purchase and then cancel the ticket, I would similarly expect AmEx to claw back the credit.

Duke787 Nov 10, 2019 4:38 pm

The DL AMEX credit will trigger with an inflight beverage purchase too