Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lost item when deplaning Delta flight in Detroit

Old Nov 8, 19, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold

I lost it couple expensive items on the plane when I was deplaning in detroit. I ran back to the gate 30 minutes later but they couldnít locate my items. I submitted a lost and found ticket on delta.com but based on past experience, iíve never had any luck with that. In the past itís been much better luck to contact the airport check in agents or the airports lost and found. any suggestions on what i can do?
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
Are those items covered by any sort of insurance? Homeowners, credit card protection, etc.
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I left a Kindle on a Delta plane about a month ago. I filed a lost item report with Delta without expecting any positive results. I received an acknowledgement of my report and two interim reports that it had not been found. Then, about ten days after submitting my report I received notice that my Kindle had been found. I had to pay the shipping cost. The package came from Alabama, where the Delta lost and found facility is located.
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Are those items covered by any sort of insurance? Homeowners, credit card protection, etc.
Hmm, good point. I'll have to check!
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
I left a Kindle on a Delta plane about a month ago. I filed a lost item report with Delta without expecting any positive results. I received an acknowledgement of my report and two interim reports that it had not been found. Then, about ten days after submitting my report I received notice that my Kindle had been found. I had to pay the shipping cost. The package came from Alabama, where the Delta lost and found facility is located.
Thanks, that gives me some hope! One of the items has a serial number which i've provided. The other item unfortunately has no serial number and I am hoping they didn't separate the two items.
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
File a report with the airport police department. The one item I got back wouldn't have returned without police help.
Old Nov 9, 19, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airports have their own lost and found.

It sounds like the OP's items were lost in the terminal or in the jetway rather than on a DL aircraft. The OP was smart to return to the gate area and ask employees there, although GAs and other airline/airport workers tend to move around frequently during their workdays, so someone might have turned the items in before the OP returned.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some airports have their own lost and found.

It sounds like the OP's items were lost in the terminal or in the jetway rather than on a DL aircraft. The OP was smart to return to the gate area and ask employees there, although GAs and other airline/airport workers tend to move around frequently during their workdays, so someone might have turned the items in before the OP returned.
Sounds to me that the OP forgot the items on the plane, but it is not clear.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
I left an iPad in a seatback pocket on a plane SLC-SEA a couple years back. Based on the advice of someone else, they suggested getting in touch with the baggage office at SEA. Getting in touch with the baggage office at the airport is tricky, as the number is not listed, and when you call DL they don't want to connect you. A helpful agent eventually agreed to send them a message (through the computer system I assume), and about 20 minutes later, I got a call from the baggage office at SEA asking me to describe my iPad. After a quick description of where to find the business card I left inside, they told me they'd hang on to it until I came back through, or they'd be happy to send it to me.

The folks at the baggage office told me that many lost items get turned in there, so I would definitely check there.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
Sounds to me that the OP forgot the items on the plane, but it is not clear.
I left it on the plane.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

pauly_long thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I left an iPad on my seat while getting off the plane at SNA. the FA took it out to the GA and they paged me over the intercom. luckily I was super early for a meeting that afternoon and was spending several hours in the Admirals Club so I was able to hear them page me. if I had been leaving the airport I think I would have already been gone.

im aware this doesn't help you in any way at all.
eneq likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's also worth checking airport L&F. OP has not explained what the items are, but if they are of the type which another passenger might pick up, one might logically turn those in to L&F, which has nothing to do with DL.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by syd999 View Post
Thanks, that gives me some hope! One of the items has a serial number which i've provided. The other item unfortunately has no serial number and I am hoping they didn't separate the two items.
When I lost my Kindle I included the serial number in my lost and found report to Delta. After the Kindle was returned to me, it opened immediately to the settings page, where the Delta staff had apparently checked the serial number.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It's also worth checking airport L&F. OP has not explained what the items are, but if they are of the type which another passenger might pick up, one might logically turn those in to L&F, which has nothing to do with DL.
Ipad and earphones. More worried about the earphones since they are untraceable (and worth more).

Search this Thread