FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Mistake on refaring; prospects for correcting after the fact (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994658-mistake-refaring-prospects-correcting-after-fact.html)

HKG_Flyer1 Nov 8, 19 1:41 pm

Mistake on refaring; prospects for correcting after the fact
 
:(Would appreciate some advice. While in NY on business, I had a sudden need to make a flight change while in the middle of a meeting. I tried to change my flight on DL.com, but the system wouldn't let me (perhaps because I had already checked in)? I then pulled up airfares on DL.com, which were in the range I expected.

I then called in to request the change (while simultaneously conducting a meeting-- so, yeah, I was distracted). I couldn't clearly hear the fare quoted, and told the agent to go ahead and book it.

Once I got home, I was stunned to find that I had been charged over $1,000 for the one-way LGA-DFW return leg, using the fare basis YA0RA0FL (see below).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...53812bad53.png
DL's filed fares as of today.

I checked DL.com literally right before I called and none of the fares were remotely close to what I was charged (the first class fare was roughly $700, which appears to be the MA0OA0FB fare basis). I've submitted a request for DL to look into this, but admit I share a lot of the blame for not listening closely to the agent while the transaction was being processed.

Do any of the experienced DL FT hands believe I will get a credit?

(As an aside, DL, AA and WN started a "reverse airfare war" on this route about a month ago, with the cheapest roundtrip airfares between DFW/DAL now starting at around $1,000 RT if purchased within three days of travel-- except for a 6:00 a.m. WN departure which still prices consistent with past trends.)

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 2:10 pm

What did you pay for your original ticket and what was the booking class and fare code? Did you have a OW or RT ticket (or multicity)? Can we assume that you purchased a coach ticket directly from DL? And did you sit in coach or FC on the new flight?

Exactly what did you say to the phone agent? Did you ask for a SDC (same day confirmed) or just ask for a change to your ticket, which normally would cost $200 plus the fare difference.

Note that coach tickets on DL require the same fare class availability for SDC, where you can (often) buy up to the higher fare class if your own fare class isn't available. A FC ticket should not require the fare class availability, only a (FC or coach if you're willing to downgrade) seat that DL is still selling on the flight. Also, nonelites pay a fee for SDC/SDS. If your ticket was rewritten into (almost full) Y class, you might have been given the last seat on the new flight.

sydneyracquelle Nov 8, 19 2:32 pm

Dispute it with your credit card company but DL might ban you.

Often1 Nov 8, 19 3:00 pm


Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 31716454)
Dispute it with your credit card company but DL might ban you.

How can you possibly advise this based on the (lack of) facts provided by OP. It is entirely likely that the fare is valid.

Need a lot more facts from OP before next steps can be advised. It seems entirely possible that DL issued a new ticket and that the old one may still have some value. If the call was "recorded" DL might be able to verify what exactly OP agreed to. But, the bottom line is that if he simply was not paying attention but agreed to whatever it was, including the ticket price, the chances of DL doing anything are slim.

WhiskeyBravo Nov 8, 19 3:31 pm

If you're on a full Y fare there is a good chance it has zero change fee, so maybe call and ask if they can re-issue the ticket, or refund it and you buy a new one? If yo'uve already flown the segment, DL has you on the phone agreeing to the price change -- 0% chance IMO you'll get anywhere.

HKG_Flyer1 Nov 8, 19 4:10 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. The initial ticket was purchased on the morning of Oct. 28 for a same day departure. Looking back at the actual email receipts, Google timeline, etc., I now remember that I actually made the change from the SkyClub while waiting for my outbound departure, engaged in conversation with a colleague. Also, I did agree to the change while not listening closely... just shocked by the fare, because I first tried to do it myself, then started making a dummy booking for the flight I wanted to check the price (which was a few hundred $ cheaper) before calling.

The original itinerary booked before I left for the airport was:
28 Oct DL1770 DFW LGA Fare basis: HA0UA0FB (booked into F cabin, under D class)
30 Oct DL548 LGA DFW Fare basis: HA0UA0FB (booked into F cabin, under D class)
Fare Details: DFW DL NYC546.98HA0UA0FB DL DFW546.98HA0UA0FB USD1093.96END ZP DFWLGA XF DFW4.5LGA4.5
Total fare: $1,204.60

Following the change made on the phone while at the SkyClub prior to departure resulted in the following:
28 Oct DL1770 DFW LGA Fare basis: HA0UA0FB (booked into F cabin, under D class)
31 Oct DL1038 LGA DFW Fare basis: YA0RA0FL (booked into F cabin, under J class)

Fare Details: DFW DL NYC546.98HA0UA0FB DL DFW1008.37YA0RA0FL USD1555.35END ZP DFWLGA XF DFW4.5LGA4.5
Total fare: $1,700.60

Any thoughts? I know this was primarily my fault for not paying close attention to the phone agent, etc.

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 4:19 pm

You were changing the date, so it could not have been done as SDC. [DL rules are different from other airlines on this.]

D is a pretty high fare class, but J means full fare and last seat availability.

Your H fare probably had a $200 change fee, so the charge should have been something like $1700 + $200 - $600 = $1300, where the $600 is roughly half of the price of your original ticket, which would have been the residual value since you seem to have paid the same fare in both directions. This is in addition to the original ticket you purchased.

If you only paid about a thousand dollars, chances are that the phone agent waived the change fee, perhaps because you were forced to buy such an expensive fare. DL agents sometimes do that, especially since you're PM.

SORRY, this is wrong. You're being charged twice for the outbound in this calculation. If we do it differently, we would take the fare difference of $1700 - $1200 = $500 and add the $200 change fee to get about $700 for the final answer on how much you should have paid in addition to the first ticket.

HKG_Flyer1 Nov 8, 19 5:08 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716729)
You were changing the date, so it could not have been done as SDC. [DL rules are different from other airlines on this.]

D is a pretty high fare class, but J means full fare and last seat availability.

Your H fare probably had a $200 change fee, so the charge should have been something like $1700 + $200 - $600 = $1300, where the $600 is roughly half of the price of your original ticket, which would have been the residual value since you seem to have paid the same fare in both directions. This is in addition to the original ticket you purchased.

If you only paid about a thousand dollars, chances are that the phone agent waived the change fee, perhaps because you were forced to buy such an expensive fare. DL agents sometimes do that, especially since you're PM.

SORRY, this is wrong. You're being charged twice for the outbound in this calculation. If we do it differently, we would take the fare difference of $1700 - $1200 = $500 and add the $200 change fee to get about $700 for the final answer on how much you should have paid in addition to the first ticket.

No change fee was charged... perhaps because I was making the change within the 24 hour free cancellation window (or, perhaps because of DM status, as you suggest)?

It looks like the base fare on the return, pre-tax, was "DL DFW1008.37YA0RA0FL USD" ($1,008.37)," which is higher than any one-way fare I've seen DL charge on this route in recent times (and I check close-in fares 2-3 times per week).

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 10:07 pm

You're right that there shouldn't have been a change fee charged within 24 hours of purchase.

My *guess* is that the agent was confused about changing the ticket where you were checked in but hadn't yet flown the first segment. Within 24 hours, normally the agent would completely cancel the ticket for a full refund and issue a totally new ticket at current prices, but if your fare class for the outbound segment was no longer available for sale, agents can do an implicit favor by altering rather than canceling the original ticket.

You haven't been very precise about the new charges, but my guess is that you were charged for the entire new ticket but only credited for the return portion of the original ticket because of confusion about your having checked in but not yet flown the first segment.

HKG_Flyer1 Nov 8, 19 10:44 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31717569)
You're right that there shouldn't have been a change fee charged within 24 hours of purchase.

My *guess* is that the agent was confused about changing the ticket where you were checked in but hadn't yet flown the first segment. Within 24 hours, normally the agent would completely cancel the ticket for a full refund and issue a totally new ticket at current prices, but if your fare class for the outbound segment was no longer available for sale, agents can do an implicit favor by altering rather than canceling the original ticket.

You haven't been very precise about the new charges, but my guess is that you were charged for the entire new ticket but only credited for the return portion of the original ticket because of confusion about your having checked in but not yet flown the first segment.

Here's how the add collect was itemized:
Fare Difference - $461.39 USD
Taxes, Fees & Charges - $34.61 USD
Service Charge - $0.00 USD
Total Charged - $496.00 USD


Appreciate your help, by the way... guess I will know soon enough when I hear from DL directly. I asked them to go back to the time of the add-collect, determine the lowest applicable upfare, and refund the difference in the form of an e-credit. I have no idea whether they even have than capability; even if they do, I suspect they will not be sympathetic.

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 10:49 pm


Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 (Post 31717657)
Here's how the add collect was itemized:
Fare Difference - $461.39 USD
Taxes, Fees & Charges - $34.61 USD
Service Charge - $0.00 USD
Total Charged - $496.00 USD

$1700.60 - $1204.60 = $496.00, so this seems correct. Implicitly, the agent cancelled the old ticket, sold you a new ticket, and charged you the difference with no change fee.

flyerCO Nov 8, 19 10:53 pm

Keeping you in F, this seems correct. While the next lowest F fare may have been $700 approx, by time agent booked it, apparently Y was the lowest coach class available with a fare that books into F.

On this route I wouldn't discount one seat being sold between when you look online and book with agent.

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Nov 9, 19 5:04 am

Lesson learned: dont lead a meeting and call Delta at the same time. Seems like a bad practice for both activities, to be completely honest.

HKG_Flyer1 Nov 9, 19 10:05 am


Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings (Post 31718265)
Lesson learned: dont lead a meeting and call Delta at the same time. Seems like a bad practice for both activities, to be completely honest.

Yeah, lesson learned. :(

Often1 Nov 9, 19 3:58 pm

The numbers sound correct. The only real question is whether there was lower fare bucket availability for that J fare. But, it seems unlikely to me that a phone agent would sell into J when there was a lower fare basis available unless the passenger expressly asked for it.

As to the tickets being expensive in the first place, that is simply a function of close-in booking on a route where your situation is entirely normal. E.g., people either booking or changing at close to the last minute.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:55 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.