FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Buying upgrade does it change your fare class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994650-buying-upgrade-does-change-your-fare-class.html)

Nuhusky Nov 8, 19 12:41 pm

Buying upgrade does it change your fare class?

Novice delta question, apologize in advance

if you have an economy ticket say m class or one of the other economy classes and buy an upgrade offer from delta to first class domestic will that change your ticket to f? Trying to understand do you earn mqm now at 100% or 200%?

Iím trying to learn the delta way of life as I convert from aa

xliioper Nov 8, 19 12:45 pm

Unlike AA, only very expensive full J fares earn 200% MQM's on DL (DL no longer uses F class for domestic FC -- J is used for both international D1 and domestic FC). I believe all the upgrade offers book into one of the discount FC fare classes (C/D/I/Z) which earn 150% MQM's. So, yes, you will get a bonus. But it will only be 50%.

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31716063)
Unlike AA, only very expensive full J fares earn 200% MQM's on DL (DL no longer uses F class for domestic FC -- J is used for both international D1 and domestic FC). I believe all the upgrade offers book into one of the discount FC fare classes (C/D/I/Z) which earn 150% MQM's. So, yes, you will get a bonus. But it will only be 50%.

Agree in general, but note that the fare class is changed only if you purchase the upgrade in advance. At OLCI or on the day of departure, you're just paying a fee for a FC seat, without the ticket being reissued.

Nuhusky Nov 8, 19 1:14 pm

Thanks both. So taking an upgrade offer prior to check in won’t reissue the ticket under the higher fare class?

xliioper Nov 8, 19 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 31716174)
Thanks both. So taking an upgrade offer prior to check in won’t reissue the ticket under the higher fare class?

It's the reverse. Taking upgrade offer prior to check-in time results in a re-issue in an FC fare class while doing so at check-in time potentially does not.

mnbp Nov 8, 19 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 31716202)
It's the reverse. Taking upgrade offer prior to check-in time results in a re-issue in an FC fare class while doing so at check-in time potentially does not.

My guess is that upgrade offers taken before the OLCI window opens (T>24) result in reticketing to the new class of service, but offers taken within the OLCI window (T<24) do not. Is that the distinction?

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 31716214)
My guess is that upgrade offers taken before the OLCI window opens (T>24) result in reticketing to the new class of service, but offers taken within the OLCI window (T<24) do not. Is that the distinction?

This is my understanding, although I've never tested it to discover the exact timeline.

We should also point out that paying money (or miles at the rate offered) to upgrade only some of the connecting segments in the same direction normally is treated like a seat purchase and doesn't change the ticket to a higher fare class.

Nuhusky Nov 8, 19 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716263)
This is my understanding, although I've never tested it to discover the exact timeline.

We should also point out that paying money (or miles at the rate offered) to upgrade only some of the connecting segments in the same direction normally is treated like a seat purchase and doesn't change the ticket to a higher fare class.

can you expand on this

so say there are four legs in the itinerary and you update only one leg to first. The upgraded leg would not result in a higher fare class and as such not earn mqm bonus over economy?

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 31716289)
can you expand on this

so say there are four legs in the itinerary and you update only one leg to first. The upgraded leg would not result in a higher fare class and as such not earn mqm bonus over economy?

This is correct if you're not upgrading all segments on the same fare component.

For instance, suppose you have a RT from AAA to BBB, with connections in both directions, at XXX outbound and YYY on the return. Assume that you do *not* have a broken fare. Then to get the additional MQMs you would need to pay to upgrade both the AAA-XXX and XXX-BBB segments (or both BBB-YYY and YYY-AAA segments). If you upgrade only one segment on this RT itinerary (or if you upgrade only AAA-XXX and YYY-AAA or only XXX-BBB and BBB-YYY, assuming that you do not have a broken fare or multicity itinerary), DL will treat it like a seat purchase and not reissue the ticket in a FC fare class.

Duke787 Nov 8, 19 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716318)
This is correct if you're not upgrading all segments on the same fare component.

For instance, suppose you have a RT from AAA to BBB, with connections in both directions, at XXX outbound and YYY on the return. Assume that you do *not* have a broken fare. Then to get the additional MQMs you would need to pay to upgrade both the AAA-XXX and XXX-BBB segments (or both BBB-YYY and YYY-AAA segments). If you upgrade only one segment on this itinerary, DL will treat it like a seat purchase and not reissue the ticket in a FC fare class.

That's correct -- and DL upgrades are also non-refundable. I was slated to fly SYD - RDU earlier this year on a business trip and upgraded LAX - ATL (on the 777). The trip was canceled last minute (by work, not Delta) and so I lost the upgrade fee (even though the flight itself was a refundable corporate fare).

Here is what the receipt itself shows for having upgraded just the LAX - ATL portion of SYD - LAX - ATL - RDU (all of which had upgrade offers to either PE for SYD - LAX or F for the rest):

Miscellaneous Service and Fees: RFIC: I
Document #: 1234567890
Date of issue: XXJUL19
This document expires: XXJUL20

CMFT+ FRST SEG Upsell282.79 USD

Total282.79 USD
Payment Method: AX****
Routing: LAX-ATL

EDIT: Actually I'm not so sure about that -- I'm looking back at my last FCM that I actually flew (SEA - RDU as part of LAS - SEA - RDU at the end of last year). I only paid to upgrade the SEA - RDU portion but I did get the 50% MCM mileage bonus -- and the receipt has the same language as the LAX - ATL one above. I guess it's possible that LAS - SEA - RDU was a broken fare and that's why it posted that way?

Nuhusky Nov 8, 19 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716318)

For instance, suppose you have a RT from AAA to BBB, with connections in both directions, at XXX outbound and YYY on the return. Assume that you do *not* have a broken fare. Then to get the additional MQMs you would need to pay to upgrade both the AAA-XXX and XXX-BBB segments (or both BBB-YYY and YYY-AAA segments). If you upgrade only one segment on this RT itinerary (or if you upgrade only AAA-XXX and YYY-AAA or only XXX-BBB and BBB-YYY, assuming that you do not have a broken fare or multicity itinerary), DL will treat it like a seat purchase and not reissue the ticket in a FC fare class.

than you. Helpful

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 19 2:15 pm

We should also say that if you upgrade both segments, but do it by picking the segments separately with separate prices (which sometimes can total to less than the cost to upgrade all flights in that direction), it *probably* will be treated as two sequential seat purchases and not lead to a reissue of the ticket, but I don't know whether there have been any reports here that address that situation.

hhdl Nov 8, 19 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716397)
We should also say that if you upgrade both segments, but do it by picking the segments separately with separate prices (which sometimes can total to less than the cost to upgrade all flights in that direction), it *probably* will be treated as two sequential seat purchases and not lead to a reissue of the ticket, but I don't know whether there have been any reports here that address that situation.

I had a BOS-SFO-BOS round trip where originally BOS-SFO was Y and SFO-BOS was C+ (not booked by me). I bought upgrades separately to C+ westbound and a couple of weeks later to F eastbound. No bonus MQM (even though each direction was upgraded atomically).

flyerCO Nov 8, 19 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl (Post 31716728)
I had a BOS-SFO-BOS round trip where originally BOS-SFO was Y and SFO-BOS was C+ (not booked by me). I bought upgrades separately to C+ westbound and a couple of weeks later to F eastbound. No bonus MQM (even though each direction was upgraded atomically).

Correct. In order to get bonus you must be able to select "upgrade all segments." If this isnt available (and it isnt when you're in different cabins per segment) then you're not buying up to a F fare, simply paying a seat fee.

JoelThomas Nov 9, 19 6:47 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...49f968c230.png
A few months ago, but I upgraded only LGA-PWM leg and got the MQM bonus on that leg.

flyerCO Nov 9, 19 7:00 am

Originally Posted by JoelThomas (Post 31718411)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...49f968c230.png
A few months ago, but I upgraded only LGA-PWM leg and got the MQM bonus on that leg.

I didnt realize that. I knew you got the MQD, but thought you only got the bonus if it was an actual upgrade (meaning all segments). However checking mine I see the same thing.

Nuhusky Nov 9, 19 7:21 am

So does that mean on segments one can earn the higher mqm?

If pax is going from rdu to sfo and pax upgrades rdu to atl they would earn the bonus on the rdu to atl leg even if on the same trip atl to sfo was not upgraded?

MSPeconomist Nov 9, 19 8:56 am

That's what this look like, although we don't know whether the original ticket was a broken fare or not. It could also be a lucky mistake or some sort.

Has anyone upgraded a seat on line recently and noticed whether delta.dumb shows the number of MQMs to be earned the way MQMs are shown at the time of ticket purchase?