Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do upgrade prices drop as flight gets closer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I have a round trip flight LAX-Shanghai in about 6 weeks and the upgrade cost to Delta One is about 1k on the outbound and 3k on the return. Do these prices tend to change as the date of departure gets closer? The outbound upgrade might be worth the price but wondering if it could go down further. Looks like a fair number of seats are still open.

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They change, but they could move up or down. It depends on whether DL thinks they can sell the remaining D1 seats on the flight.
hhdl, Tine Rod and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL GM
Data point: I've had a flight booked since August. I've watch the F cabin go $164, to $261, back to $164, to $468, and now back to $164. There have been 11 open seats the entire time. I think Delta uses the search history as a guide on pricing as well.
muaddib89 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
By upgrades this far out you probably are just rebooking into a higher cabin and fare class, e.g. you are in "L" now and they quote you the price to go into "Z". The return trip doesn't have "Z" available but only "I" so it is more expensive.
Most accurate way you can find is to look up fares via expertflyer and you'll probably find that the $1000 = Z one way fare - one way for your already paid ticket -> the $1000 won't likely drop further.
If the $1000 upgrade is from your economy into e.g., "I" then it may be that if "Z" becomes available it does drop.

They also change fares within one letter class over time but not by a huge order of magnitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.