FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   An hour and 8 minute connection at JFK on Thanksgiving Day (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994506-hour-8-minute-connection-jfk-thanksgiving-day.html)

flyerCO Nov 8, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nystateofmind (Post 31714787)
You likely won’t have an issue in terms of traffic as there are fewer flights on Thanksgiving. The bigger issue is that with an RJ you will be gate checking larger roll aboard pieces. It is hit or miss the wait times for those. I would suggest avoiding carrying aboard anything larger than a laptop bag so that way you can just get off the plane and get to the next gate as expeditiously as possible.

Thanksgiving Day it is unlikely the flight will be even half full.

Duke787 Nov 8, 2019 10:00 am

Wouldn't worry about it. Just keep monitoring and if any weather arises you can change to an earlier flight on the day of to be safe. But 1:08 at JFK is plenty of time if everything is on time even on a busy day. The gate-checked concern is valid but they are usually pretty quick at JFK so not a deal-breaker by any means.

The walk from RJ gates to the international gates is 5-7 minutes at most -- usually less. I've found the FCO/MXP (and other non-hub Europe destinations) flights tend to be in the B30s range while the LHR/CDG/AMS flights are further down in the B20s making the walk even shorter.

Also note that if she misconnects at JFK for some reason, there is an AZ flight that leaves later that night that they would likely be able to easily accommodate her on or the late night AF/KL flights to CDG/KLM that could also get her there if necessary.

awayIgo Nov 8, 2019 11:40 am

Coming in domestically, she should be okay. As said, Thanksgiving afternoon is quiet- people are too busy stuffing their faces.As someone who lives between JFK and LGA that idea is horrific. With traffic on the connecting highway and construction at LGA, I would only recommend with a 5-6 hour break between the two flights - and I still would be wary!

MSPeconomist Nov 8, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31715598)
Wouldn't worry about it. Just keep monitoring and if any weather arises you can change to an earlier flight on the day of to be safe. But 1:08 at JFK is plenty of time if everything is on time even on a busy day. The gate-checked concern is valid but they are usually pretty quick at JFK so not a deal-breaker by any means.

The walk from RJ gates to the international gates is 5-7 minutes at most -- usually less. I've found the FCO/MXP (and other non-hub Europe destinations) flights tend to be in the B30s range while the LHR/CDG/AMS flights are further down in the B20s making the walk even shorter.

Also note that if she misconnects at JFK for some reason, there is an AZ flight that leaves later that night that they would likely be able to easily accommodate her on or the late night AF/KL flights to CDG/KLM that could also get her there if necessary.

Note that some TATL flights don't operate on certain days around Thanskgiving weekend. That's partly why I suggested earlier that the OP check schedules and forumlate a list of Plan B options.

Duke787 Nov 8, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31716058)
Note that some TATL flights don't operate on certain days around Thanskgiving weekend. That's partly why I suggested earlier that the OP check schedules and forumlate a list of Plan B options.

Yeah I checked on Thanksgiving Day before posting the later CDG/AMS/MXP flights are all on the books on AF/KL/AZ metal as of now.

Plus a re-route option via DTW on a 2pm flight is possible if JFK becomes untenable (CLE - DTW - AMS - MXP)

cplunk Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am

I was just in JFK first time in 10-15 years last week.
Switched from terminal 2 to terminal 4, if I remember correctly.
Incoming flight left late, mechanical issue, anti-lock brake sensor. Arrived 35-40 minutes late on a 70 minute layover.
I checked out the terminal map in the in-flight magazine to familiarize myself. Saw what looked like a shuttle or bus between terminals.
Off the airplane, followed the signs, found the bus, walked up and asked the guy which bus to make sure. (I almost did get on the wrong bus, didn't see signs).
Told him I was late, only had 20 minutes, he told the driver, the bus didn't wait long for more people.
Getting to the next terminal discovered 5 people behind me going to the flight...
Everyone made it with time to spare. And sat on the plane 5-10 minutes past departure time.

david55 Nov 28, 2019 6:24 am

So this morning her flight from Cleveland to JFK shows an arrival gate change to terminal 2 C65. ( last night it was scheduled to arrive at B53 which would have made life simpler)

I have explained to her about the jitney bus.

sspontak Nov 28, 2019 7:53 am

It is a beautiful sunny day here on Long Island near JFK but the winds are gusting to around 30 mph.

JumboJet Nov 28, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by sspontak (Post 31785219)
It is a beautiful sunny day here on Long Island near JFK but the winds are gusting to around 30 mph.

Yes. Definitely windy here today

Austin787 Nov 28, 2019 1:49 pm

I see the CLE-JFK flight will arrive 30+ minutes early. So should be no issues in making the connecting flight.

david55 Nov 28, 2019 8:45 pm

She made her connection with minutes to spare. I got a little nervous when she texted from the CLE-JFK flight while still at the gate and said the pilot was coming through the cabin shaking everyone's hand and wishing them a " Happy Thanksgiving". My immediate thought.... was this a way of easing a coming delay announcement. But alas...he was just being hospitable.