Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Talk me into or out of DL over AA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:48 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
FWIW as a traveler often in Y, I think DL’s 767 configuration is decently spacious and comfortable, and I really value that they’re keeping the 777s with 3-3-3 seats instead of 3-4-3. (If OP is doing most of their flying upfront though then this might not matter so much).
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I will point out that there is a good DL RDU thread as well, where there is a good route network discussion.

I moved to RDU in May, but I had switched from AA to DL back in 2015 when AA announced they were reordering upgrade priority to reward spend first. DL rewarded me by starting ORD a month before I moved with a CR9/CR7 mix. I have to pay $35 more than WN (who matches Basic) but I have a 90% upgrade percentage on that route, although I split the business three ways as WN has a cheap 10pm back to RDU that I use a lot and I can often find AA F awards even at 96 hours via BA for Friday and Sunday afternoon flights.

I find that DL often has very reasonable F prices, and I like VS PE out of either JFK, BOS, or to a lesser extent MCO on the old 747s. My RUCs clear to LAX or SEA, I haven't tried SLC or LAS yet but I will in March.

The lounges are no contest if you don't qualify for the Flagship Lounge. I'm writing from the RDU AC as I'm using BA miles to fly home in AA F for the holidays. The AC is just sad compared to the SkyClub next door.

I actually prefer ATL to CLT. The flight schedule means I can usually avoid sub-55 minute connections if I'm willing to take one closer to two hours, and Atlanta has better sit down dinner options. I'm fine with 10C on the little skip over.

This is the last year I will easily make DL Plat, as I'm cutting way back on work travel in 2020 and I do still value A-List and reusable ticket funds on WN and BA Silver for when I need to fly AA. But 65k (plus 10 that come with the cc waiver) is reasonable with 20k overseas on PE fares twice a year, especially with clearable RUCs for another 9k total on west coast trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.