Talk me into or out of DL over AA

Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
I wouldn't bank on it. What evidence have you seen that Delta wants to do long-and-thin? Out of all three major carriers, Delta does the least long-and-thin flying. United frequently flies regional jets halfway across the country (1500+ statute miles). Delta doesn't fly a single route that long with a RJ.

Delta will potentially use A220s in place of larger planes where they believe frequency and flight experience will drive PRASM (e.g. LGA<->DFW), but I don't see Delta starting any net new once a day routes with the A220.

Not trying to derail the thread, but also don't want to get OP's hopes up.
DL has been doing MSP-PSC (tri-cities in the northwest wine country) nonstop daily using a CRJ-900 that switched to a CRJ-700 offseason. IIRC it's close to 1500 miles.

Since DL dehubbed MEM and CVG not so long ago, I can't see RDU becoming more like a hub in any way since it's so close to ATL and DL has enough hubs to serve its network. A few carefully selected destinations might be tried, but I wouldn't expect any buildup at RDU beyond that, although if passenger traffic grows, frequency and capacity fo major hubs might be increased somewhat.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL has been doing MSP-PSC (tri-cities in the northwest wine country) nonstop daily using a CRJ-900 that switched to a CRJ-700 offseason. IIRC it's close to 1500 miles.

Since DL dehubbed MEM and CVG not so long ago, I can't see RDU becoming more like a hub in any way since it's so close to ATL and DL has enough hubs to serve its network. A few carefully selected destinations might be tried, but I wouldn't expect any buildup at RDU beyond that, although if passenger traffic grows, frequency and capacity fo major hubs might be increased somewhat.
And that's one of Delta's longest regional jet routes (at 1250 miles or so) which is my point. United has 10+ RJ routes over 1500 miles while Delta has none.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I知 rdu based and ex plat on aa, but looking at downgrading to plat pro, equivalent of plat on DL. I知 looking at doing a status match to plat on DL right now

would really love recent AA refugees to give me your honest opinion of delta and why delta is or isn稚 better than AA please?

im really torn if I should jump ship for 2020 or stick it out with AA.

My travel patterns are either down to Florida, up the east coast or out to CA. Occasional international trip mixed in there but I知 looking at less international travel this coming year so although loosing AA173 will sting a bit I really care about domestic travel
Another RDU based flyer here. I don't think there's really any comparison at RDU. DL is the much better "one-flight" option, unless you travel RDU-DFW/LHR/MIA often. I used to fly AA, but I can't stand their angry employees and since they cut all their P2P service from RDU, I'd actually moved to WN before DL.

I will warn you, DL's elite ranks are really watered down and that's likely going to get worse as UA LVCs jump ship (but AA may see an influx too). Upgrades for me (as a DM) have been around 35-40% to/from RDU-ATL and slightly higher in the res of the system. Little better percentage to DTW/MSP/BOS/FLL/MCO, but virtually no chance on RDU-LAX/SEA. The CDG flight is great for going to Europe and onward, but I've found the connect times aren't the best in the other direction (or maybe it's just my destinations). AMS is a fantastic place to connect, but will require another connection for RDU flyers.

ATL is a far better hub to connect than CLT. More flights, better frequencies, better terminals and clubs, and many more mainline flights. DL runs 12-13 flights/day from RDU-ATL, so if you misconnect, there are lots of options.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Thanks all. Feedback appreciated

what are the odds delta continues to grow in rdu? Focus city but not seen much by way of new long distance flights in the last few months

there was a Jax add but that痴 far from exciting. How will the regional crew base impact things?
Many U.S. airlines are not in growth mode at the moment. They've all grown gangbusters the last 6-7 years. But now with a (possibly) peaking economy, and 737Max issues, they have slowed down. I saw in the latest DL inflight mag, there was only one new domestic route in the whole system this month. (BOS-MIA if memory serves).

That being said, DL is adding a second RDU-SLC next year. I would not be surprised to see RDU-SJC at some point in the future.

DL's service level out of RDU is quite good. ~30 destinations and mainline on quite a few of the non-hub flights too (RDU-BOS/MCO/FLL).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
And that's one of Delta's longest regional jet routes (at 1250 miles or so) which is my point. United has 10+ RJ routes over 1500 miles while Delta has none.
That's why I mentioned it. It's the longest DL RJ route that I know and PSC is a place that can be reached with lots of frequency from SLC and SEA, with MSP-PSC being a somewhat surprising nonstop for DL to offer. [I wonder whether a corporate contract is the motivation.]
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:40 am

It wouldn't surprise me to see RDU-MIA added in the near future as the LATAM stake comes into play.
MSPeconomist and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Thanks all. Feedback appreciated

what are the odds delta continues to grow in rdu? Focus city but not seen much by way of new long distance flights in the last few months

there was a Jax add but that’s far from exciting. How will the regional crew base impact things?
My DL friends there are expecting an Amsterdam (more more likely) or London (much less likely) flight to start in 12-18 months.

The growth rate on domestic has been fairly consistent, if admittedly unexciting. Chicago coming online several times per day was the last big deal (and I would argue DCA before that), competing with both AA and UA hubs. JAX was more about a/c utilization and being able to fit another flight in late night/early morning (much like the BDL service). A lot of our flying is on CR9s and 7s, and much of the growth from here out will be upgauging or possibly an added RJ frequency during key business times. As far as new destinations, I would be surprised if MIA doesn't eventually become a full-time route in addition to FLL (MIA is currently winter holiday seasonal, IIRC for the first time this year), and I would expect to see DFW eventually as well. Many have mentioned SJC, which I think is on the table. The business community here is pushing very heavily for SAN service and, while this doesn't exactly make sense for Delta, if the incentives get lucrative enough I could see it happening. Finally - and this went really under the radar - our LAS service for CES is scheduled to continue Saturday only all winter and spring through the end of the schedule. It really seems like Delta is trying something intriguing here, and I'm interested to see how it goes.
MSPeconomist and aeroman380 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I was EXP for a number of years, now PLT on DL, but being that I am NYC based now that was a pretty easy decision (DL just has more flights here for me than AA has, including non-stops to some cities I frequent that AA does not offer non-stop). As others have mentioned, DL is, overall, operationally more reliable.

That said, from what I know of RDU, AA and DL have similar levels of flights/cities so that's a bit of a wash. I'd focus on the airline that has the most non-stops to where you need to go.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I find AMS hard to believe though would welcome it as long as it's DL metal (maybe a 763 that is freed up from A339 arrivals). I've been on the RDU - CDG route in both directions a number of times and have never seen it truly sold out. The timing in both directions is fine unless you are coming from India or Eastern Europe (my trip to OTP last year meant a very early morning OTP - CDG flight to make CDG - RDU but it didn't require an overnight) -- it just limits you to AM departures only instead of having the benefit of a late afternoon departure.

Routes like RDU - SJC, RDU - LAS, RDU - SAN (all mentioned above) -- seem like prime candidates for A220 growth, especially if they cycled an A220 through on the RDU - SLC or RDU - SEA routes. Too long to pursue with a CR9 (as DL has done with most non-hub routes ex-RDU) but with a low enough seat count that the right incentives and O&D traffic could put them on the table.

The problem with any RDU expansion IMO, is it has to be pure O&D at this point. They aren't going to add flights to Asia when you have ATL/DTW/MSP all within a 2.25 hour flight. They aren't going add flights to Europe when you have ATL/DTW/BOS/JFK all within 2.25 hours. And the business case for anything else has to justify the need for a direct route over just routing the traffic through ATL -- something that can be done very efficiently with the number of RDU-ATL/ATL-RDU flights every day (including the late night ATL - RDU flights that can catch virtually any flight leaving the west coast in the early afternoon or leaving the midwest in the early evening).

The need for any real growth to be an O&D play is what drives my personal opinion that any destination growth will come via long thin A220 routes or possibly midcons that can be reached with 717s once some are freed up by the A220.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Duke787
I find AMS hard to believe though would welcome it as long as it's DL metal (maybe a 763 that is freed up from A339 arrivals).
I was incredulous too, but I have several friends at the station and their information has always been spot-on in the past.

Originally Posted by Duke787
The need for any real growth to be an O&D play is what drives my personal opinion that any destination growth will come via long thin A220 routes or possibly midcons that can be reached with 717s once some are freed up by the A220.
(Except Miami) This.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
It wouldn't surprise me to see RDU-MIA added in the near future as the LATAM stake comes into play.
I am pretty sure DL already offered this at one point in time, maybe Saturdays only? I remember the website selling me a RDU connection going from MIA-NYC
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I知 rdu based and ex plat on aa, but looking at downgrading to plat pro, equivalent of plat on DL. I知 looking at doing a status match to plat on DL right now

would really love recent AA refugees to give me your honest opinion of delta and why delta is or isn稚 better than AA please?

im really torn if I should jump ship for 2020 or stick it out with AA.

My travel patterns are either down to Florida, up the east coast or out to CA. Occasional international trip mixed in there but I知 looking at less international travel this coming year so although loosing AA173 will sting a bit I really care about domestic travel
I personally find DL considerably more reliable and consistent than AA. I use DL for the majority of my domestic flying along with some B6 flights along the east coast. Both are decent options in economy, however of course if you're looking for premium B6 is only an option to the west coast. Both are IMO worlds better than AA in any comparable class.

For intercontinental travel I almost always fly on a foreign airline.

I'm not sure if you pay for business or first class or heavily rely on upgrades or are somewhere in between and I don't really know how AA and DL compare these days in that regard. I personally choose to buy up to F on DL for the majority of my domestic flying over 2 hours or so. I find DL's buy up offers very reasonable in many cases and the product is decent enough and pretty consistent across the majority of the domestic fleet.

DL customer service is far better than AA's. DL is a far better run airline than AA.
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ty97

That said, from what I know of RDU, AA and DL have similar levels of flights/cities so that's a bit of a wash.
That was probably true pre 2007 recession, but nowhere near true now. AA dropped almost all of it's P2P flying and now only flies to it's hubs/gateways + PIT and LHR non-stop from RDU. Total of about 12 destinations. DL has ~30 destinations and flies 33% more pax than AA (Sept 2019 numbers).
MSPeconomist, ekozie and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I am pretty sure DL already offered this at one point in time, maybe Saturdays only? I remember the website selling me a RDU connection going from MIA-NYC
It's a daily holiday seasonal and then Sat-only during spring break ATM.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
It's a daily holiday seasonal and then Sat-only during spring break ATM.
OT, but it's nice that DL is so considerate as to schedule flights to facilitate Duke, UNC, and NC State students getting to and from their spring break cruises, plus of course the 21+s who stay on Miami Beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.