Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Exit Row as Lowly Silver - is this correct?

Old Nov 6, 19, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Delta Silver, IHG Gold

I am a lowly Silver and have been able to select exit row seats days before flight (e.g. not within 24 hour check-in window). Is this typical for Delta?
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:13 am

Booked thru your company’s travel site?
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII View Post
I am a lowly Silver and have been able to select exit row seats days before flight (e.g. not within 24 hour check-in window). Is this typical for Delta?
To my knowledge, yes that is normal. Unlike other airlines that treat exit rows as an "upgrade" like C+...DL allows any elite sitting in "Main Cabin" to select them for free. It is one of the main perks of Silver Medallions (FO's) on DL. You still have to pay the medallion tax (non-BE fare) to get them though.
Old Nov 6, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: DL PM
Yes, this is correct. My husband is only Silver and can always select exit row seats at time of booking, regardless of how far away the flight is.
Old Nov 6, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yes corporate thing is irrelevant if FO (some companies including mine do have agreements to allow exit row access even if no status but not relevant here).

It's why I believe FO is the most valuable of the bottom tier airline elite programs
NoleATL and lost_perspicacity like this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 7:17 am

To be specific, exit row seats are usually marked as "Preferred" and have a slightly different color on the seat map on delta.com. FOs have access to Preferred seats at time of booking.
Old Nov 6, 19, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Delta Silver, IHG Gold
Thank you all for the confirming posts. My concern was that this was a technology fluke and I'd be relegated to a middle seat in regular economy next to the bathroom after a computer sweep. Sounds like that won't happen (aside from the usual and customary risk of this happening due to IRROPS etc...).
Duke787 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:38 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Delta's "preferred" seats, including most exit rows, are not considered Comfort+, which is different from the approach at AA/UA/B6 where exit rows are part of Main Cabin Extra/Economy+/Even More Space. So Silver and Gold Medallions can select them any time for free. (Note that means they also don't come with the other limited benefits of Comfort+, like free booze and extra snacks.) Unfortunately on certain planes, like the 767-300s, the only exit rows are near the front of the economy cabin and are thus considered part of Comfort+.
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Yeah people dump on silver here but the preferred seats are a valuable perk. I spent 2 years as FO before hitting gold midway through this year. For me, since I don't check baggage or fly international very often, and fly routes that are either very medallion-heavy (no upgrades as gold) or very medallion-light (regular upgrades as silver), I don't see much difference.
Old Nov 7, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity View Post
Yeah people dump on silver here but the preferred seats are a valuable perk. I spent 2 years as FO before hitting gold midway through this year. For me, since I don't check baggage or fly international very often, and fly routes that are either very medallion-heavy (no upgrades as gold) or very medallion-light (regular upgrades as silver), I don't see much difference.
This. To me, this is one of the best perks of Silver, why I would almost certainly try to get a minimum of Silver each year, and why those who say "You basically can get all the perks of FO status just by getting a DL-branded AmEx" are missing a key aspect of FO status.
Old Nov 7, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I'm a silver through Million Miler status. The ability to select exit rows is awesome. Let's also not forget free baggage on all tickets to all destinations. United doesn't allow this for their elites on Basic Economy tickets (unless you have their credit card). Delta does.

Having said this, I fly DL once or twice a year (usually when rebooked from UA) and I might check a bag on DL about once every 3 years.

-RM
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Do FOs get free preferred seating on partners as well? I just booked a trip with two legs on KL and it appears to show a charge if I select a preferred seat.
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity View Post
Biggest difference for me between gold and silver is free SDS/SDC. I got a few more first class upgrades as a GM as well, but in terms of seat selection / Comfort+ upgrades on the most flights, there isn't a difference.
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JoelThomas View Post
Do FOs get free preferred seating on partners as well? I just booked a trip with two legs on KL and it appears to show a charge if I select a preferred seat.
No you have to be GM or higher on KLM for the preferred seats, PM and higher get extra legroom for free as well:

(3) KLM Preferred Seats are complimentary for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members, and are available for Silver Medallion Members for a reduced fee. KLM Extra Legroom Preferred Seats are complimentary for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members, and are available for Gold and Silver Medallion Members for a reduced fee.
Similar for AF:

(3) Delta Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will receive complimentary Air France Seat Plus preferred seating at no charge. Gold Medallions will receive a discount of 50% and Silver Medallions will receive a discount of 25%.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Old Nov 7, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
No you have to be GM or higher on KLM for the preferred seats, PM and higher get extra legroom for free as well:

Similar for AF:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Thanks for that. I just read the quick terms under FO benefits on the Delta website and it made mention of preferred seats on partners. I should have dug into details

Search this Thread
Search Engine: