Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can't get Multi-city to ticket with preferred connections - any tips?

Can't get Multi-city to ticket with preferred connections - any tips?

Old Nov 5, 19, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Now I'm confused because I was always told that EF doesn't check for married segment logic when showing availability.

For the OP, usually you must play around with the departure times to see all of the flight possibilities for the day. [I wish there were a way to make EF show all of the nonstop DL flights on a route instead of showing a nonstop or two and a bunch of connections.]
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Now I'm confused because I was always told that EF doesn't check for married segment logic when showing availability.

For the OP, usually you must play around with the departure times to see all of the flight possibilities for the day. [I wish there were a way to make EF show all of the nonstop DL flights on a route instead of showing a nonstop or two and a bunch of connections.]

ITA correctly checks for married segment availability when using one-way or roundtrip searches. It is ONLY when using the multi-city search feature that it does not actually check married segment availability when combining multiple segments on a single fare. The delta.com multi-city search previously suffered from the same issue. DL addressed it by simply disabling the function to combine multiple flights on a single fare when using multi-city search. It now only prices out each segment on a separate fare when using multi-city search. This will frequently not produce the lowest possible price in cases where segments can be combined on a single fare, but it will also not produce erroneous fare quotes like the ITA multi-city search does. The reason you are able to initially pull up the fare quotes on delta.com with bookwithmatrix and other sites is that delta.com does not do an inventory check at that point. It will simply pull up whatever fares it is directed to pull up via the API interface. It is only when you go to purchase the fares that it actually does an inventory check and discovers there is no inventory in the quoted fare bucket class.
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Side question: I once had a similar itinerary where I couldn't complete the purchase on DL, and on a whim I tried to ticket it using one of the Powertools links to "book with" one of the other airlines [EDIT: and it worked, got ticketed and everything]. I ended up cancelling within the 24-hour period, but I wonder, would DL eventually have sent them a debit memo?

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 5, 19 at 9:57 pm
Old Nov 5, 19, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Side question: I once had a similar itinerary where I couldn't complete the purchase on DL, and on a whim I tried to ticket it using one of the Powertools links to "book with" one of the other airlines. I ended up cancelling within the 24-hour period, but I wonder, would DL eventually have sent them a debit memo?
Learning lots here! Thanks

Not exactly sure who would have let you book a Delta ticket. Maybe KLM tor AF? But I did try and book with an OTA (FlightNetwork) on a provided link. It took, and sent me a confirmation of processing. I ended up mistakenly hitting the Insurance/Trip Cancellation box so called them immediately to cancel that portion, and on that call the agent said it couldn't/wouldn't ticket. So if you were ticketed, not sure what would have happened...
Old Nov 5, 19, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by c5ruzr View Post
Not exactly sure who would have let you book a Delta ticket. Maybe KLM tor AF?
In my case it was Air Canada Just because it's off-alliance doesn't mean they won't sell the ticket; in that case they're acting in the position of any other OTA. e.g. there are also recent posts about DL selling connections onto SQ

(mine was different in being a 100% DL itinerary plated on 014 but I think the idea is still the same.... also this was a few years ago, AC may have tightened up their systems since then)
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM
There is "K" availability returning at 2:04 PM via LGA arriving at 9:28 PM.
Also ONE "K" seat at 4:41 PM via MSP arriving at 12:22 AM

Does price out at $345.00
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Note in the OP:
Thanks - I missed that.

Might be worth trying the priceline option. I have had that ticket when the Delta link wont.
Old Nov 6, 19, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by c5ruzr View Post
I did call, and they could find it but only at the higher price point (M fare). So that explanation all makes sense. I'm trying to see what other options there might be with inventory available on the married segment. I started my free trial of ExpertFlyer yesterday. But when I put in DFW - BOS on 11.23 +/- one day on DL, all I get are like 3-4 flight options per day. And if I just do one day, I only get 3-4 total. Any idea why or what I'm doing wrong?
Force the routing in EF if you want to see inventory. ITA is much better for searching many options; it has a much higher depth.

Side question: I once had a similar itinerary where I couldn't complete the purchase on DL, and on a whim I tried to ticket it using one of the Powertools links to "book with" one of the other airlines [EDIT: and it worked, got ticketed and everything]. I ended up cancelling within the 24-hour period, but I wonder, would DL eventually have sent them a debit memo?
Pretty sure answer is no if it tickets; no carrier that I know of logs historical inventory so if the ticketing is successful there isn't a record of it. Other airlines' websites will also issue tickets on their own metal like this... as xliioper noted even the DL website does not re-do the inventory check; rather it forces fare breaks in searching multi-city.

The absolutely bizarre thing to me is that a married inventory query returns different inventory on each segment. That makes no sense since you cannot book either segment alone with that inventory.
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets View Post
There is "K" availability returning at 2:04 PM via LGA arriving at 9:28 PM.
Also ONE "K" seat at 4:41 PM via MSP arriving at 12:22 AM

Does price out at $345.00
Thanks!
There was a few options sprinkled throughout the 3 days for the return at $345 RT through mainly ATL, but also DTW MSP and NYC. So I'm looking at that. Found a 11.24 return in V that prices to $302 Round Trip, so I may just do that. And if upgrades don't clear I may still try to SDC through SLC.

I've now set alerts on Expert Flyer for the DFW - SLC - BOS legs in K, and I didn't have it send the test email because I did for another alert (ATL-AVL) and that worked fine. But I could only pick one of the two segments. However, I soon thereafter got alerts there was availability. But I think it is still false availability on the married segment logic, where it is still seeing them as individual segments. So is there any way to set up the alert so it seems them together and checks that inventory so I will actually get alerts if something changes? Or does it send an alert even if you don't ask for the test? Current inventory and email alerts attached.

Search this Thread