FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Sky club membership refund (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994197-sky-club-membership-refund.html)

verneg Nov 5, 19 10:24 am

Sky club membership refund
 
I just started a new job where I'll be flying a large portion of the time. My work will pay for half of the cost of a sky club membership. I had thought about just getting the AMEX DL Reserve, since it includes sky club access, but my supervisor says that the company won't reimburse credit card annual fees. He tole me that he has the AA executive card and charges an admirals club membership to the card and it automatically gets refunded about a month later. Any ideas if this (or any other method of getting a sky club fee refunded after being charged) would work with DL?

WhiskeyBravo Nov 5, 19 11:24 am

I've never heard of DL doing this and I highly doubt it. It sounds like something unique to AA

GregInMN Nov 5, 19 11:25 am

Maybe buy another 12 month membership and add the 12 months to the existing time period - than you could expense the extension portion?

MSPeconomist Nov 5, 19 11:48 am

Wouldn't it be fraudulent to take reimbursement from your new employer for an expense that has been refunded? OTOH, your new boss seems to be telling you how and that he does it.

I'd think about looking for a new job.

lost_perspicacity Nov 5, 19 12:11 pm

The refund of the membership charge if you get access through the card is specific to AA/Citi. Delta doesn't do anything similar.

Duke787 Nov 5, 19 12:15 pm

You could likely upgrade to the DL executive membership (if that is something important to you) and have your employer cover that added cost since the base membership will be covered by your card.

Alternatively drop the DL AMEX Reserve and switch to another card (either another DL AMEX or non-DL card)

lost_perspicacity Nov 5, 19 12:20 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31704386)
Wouldn't it be fraudulent to take reimbursement from your new employer for an expense that has been refunded? OTOH, your new boss seems to be telling you how and that he does it.

I'd think about looking for a new job.

It's definitely weird the manager would be explicit telling an employee how to skirt the rules. My company's T&E rules are really vague about some things and I will approve expenses in those categories my direct reports submit if they are not clearly against the rules, but if they explicitly ask me if an expense qualifies or not where the policy is vague I make sure to get an official written answer from a higher-up.

dantheflyingman Nov 5, 19 12:48 pm


Originally Posted by verneg (Post 31704052)
He tole me that he has the AA executive card and charges an admirals club membership to the card and it automatically gets refunded about a month later.

As someone who has said Citi AA Executive MasterCard, there are no charges for the membership to the Admiral's club - rather it is a perk of having the card (and its hefty $450 annual fee).

My understanding is the Delta Reserve also works the same way - you get a membership by having the card, not that the card reimburses you for paying for a membership.

As mentioned by MSPeconomist, the Delta Reserve only allows SkyClub access on days when you have a DL flight.

MSPeconomist Nov 5, 19 12:53 pm


Originally Posted by dantheflyingman (Post 31704639)
As someone who has said Citi AA Executive MasterCard, there are no charges for the membership to the Admiral's club - rather it is a perk of having the card (and its hefty $450 annual fee).

My understanding is the Delta Reserve also works the same way - you get a membership by having the card, not that the card reimburses you for paying for a membership.

NO, the DL Reserve card just gives SC access on days when you have a DL or partner flight. It's not a membership.

DMs formerly got comped SC memberships, butt now they're available as a choice benefit selection, as are some SC passes and the upgrade to Executive (which permits free guests).

TuxTom Nov 5, 19 8:04 pm

How much will you be flying on DL? Other benefits of the DL reserve include the companion certificate and MQM bonuses at certain spend levels. The reserve also serves as a tiebreaker on the upgrade list after upgrade certs, medallion level, and fare code. The DL Platinum also gets a companion certificate but no SkyClub with a much lower annual fee.

dantheflyingman Nov 5, 19 8:53 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31704663)
NO, the DL Reserve card just gives SC access on days when you have a DL or partner flight. It's not a membership.

DMs formerly got comped SC memberships, butt now they're available as a choice benefit selection, as are some SC passes and the upgrade to Executive (which permits free guests).

Color me corrected. I'll edit my post.

dlflyer00 Nov 5, 19 11:31 pm


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31704663)
NO, the DL Reserve card just gives SC access on days when you have a DL or partner flight. It's not a membership.

DMs formerly got comped SC memberships, butt now they're available as a choice benefit selection, as are some SC passes and the upgrade to Executive (which permits free guests).

Why do you think this is a correction? SC memberships are also restricted to same-day Delta/partner flights. There is no difference.

Gig103 Nov 5, 19 11:37 pm


Originally Posted by dlflyer00 (Post 31706443)
Why do you think this is a correction? SC memberships are also restricted to same-day Delta/partner flights. There is no difference.

I think that is new, effective last Friday.

dlflyer00 Nov 6, 19 12:49 am


Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31706456)
I think that is new, effective last Friday.

Effective January 1st, 2019:


Effective January 1, 2019, Delta Sky Club members may only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines and will no longer have access to partner lounges.

UKtravelbear Nov 6, 19 6:08 am


Originally Posted by verneg (Post 31704052)
I just started a new job where I'll be flying a large portion of the time. My work will pay for half of the cost of a sky club membership. I had thought about just getting the AMEX DL Reserve, since it includes sky club access, but my supervisor says that the company won't reimburse credit card annual fees. He tole me that he has the AA executive card and charges an admirals club membership to the card and it automatically gets refunded about a month later. Any ideas if this (or any other method of getting a sky club fee refunded after being charged) would work with DL?

Why are DL involved?

It's not them that are refunding you but your employer. All DL care about is getting paid for the membership and won't be bothered if the cost is paid back to you via your credit card, employer or your Great Aunt Agatha as a christmas present.

Personally if I was starting a new job and they were refunding me 1/2 the membership cost then I would do it properly and eat the 1/2 I have to pay for and not try and double dip on getting the cost back via my credit card and from them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:08 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.