Sky club membership refund

Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Why do you think this is a correction? SC memberships are also restricted to same-day Delta/partner flights. There is no difference.
SC membership gives access to a couple other lounges (AF at CDG IIRC, for example) that don't accept the DL Reserve card (with a SkyTeam flight) for access. This would only help if the passenger is in coach or PS and isn't GM+ or maybe for a GM+ on a domestic AF flight.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TuxTom
How much will you be flying on DL? Other benefits of the DL reserve include the companion certificate and MQM bonuses at certain spend levels. The reserve also serves as a tiebreaker on the upgrade list after upgrade certs, medallion level, and fare code. The DL Platinum also gets a companion certificate but no SkyClub with a much lower annual fee.
I'll be flying DL a lot. I'm in a DL hub and most of the nonstops to/from here are on DL. But I'm mostly concerned about the Sky Club access with the DL Reserve card, though the other added benefits might be nice. I'm pretty much trying to decide between the Amex Platinum and the DL Reserve.

Does anyone know if Delta will allow you to cancel a Sky Club membership within, say, 30 days if you haven't used it and get a refund?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by verneg
I'll be flying DL a lot. I'm in a DL hub and most of the nonstops to/from here are on DL. But I'm mostly concerned about the Sky Club access with the DL Reserve card, though the other added benefits might be nice. I'm pretty much trying to decide between the Amex Platinum and the DL Reserve.

Does anyone know if Delta will allow you to cancel a Sky Club membership within, say, 30 days if you haven't used it and get a refund?
No -- and will just gloss over the morals of the underlying question you are getting at here.

It's in the T&Cs "Delta Sky Club Memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable. Delta Sky Club facilities may be used only in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or a Delta partner airline. You must be at least 18 years of age for Club membership. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter Clubs with a self-service bar, unless you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Access to partner lounges is subject to partner rules, terms and conditions. All Delta Sky Club rules apply to Club membership and use."
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SC membership gives access to a couple other lounges (AF at CDG IIRC, for example) that don't accept the DL Reserve card (with a SkyTeam flight) for access. This would only help if the passenger is in coach or PS and isn't GM+ or maybe for a GM+ on a domestic AF flight.
No partner lounges in 2019, in the exact same quote I posted above for travel on Delta. They’re the same as the card now.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Why do you think this is a correction? SC memberships are also restricted to same-day Delta/partner flights. There is no difference.
Is a "real" SC membership still upgradeable to Exec with cash/miles? That might be another difference. (although I forget if a SC membership purchased outright vs a SC membership using a Choice Benefit differed in this regard)

Originally Posted by Gig103
I think that is new, effective last Friday.
Effective January 1st, 2019:
Right; I think Gig103 is thinking of the new United Club restrictions which went into effect Nov 1.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
The big difference is that DL Reserve card comes with SkyClub access while the AA Executive card comes with an Admiral's Club membership. I assume what the boss is doing is buying a second membership directly from AA. He submits this to the company for reimbursement and eventually gets refunded for the membership by AA as well when their system sees that he has two memberships.

IMO, this is not feasible on DL as well as being unethical to submit expenses that were later charged back for reimbursement.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Delta will not refund a SC membership. A few years ago when Delta did the serious downgrading of the liquor (fortunately it only last a couple months) to Gordon's some people wanted to cancel their membership and Delta wouldn't budge.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Effective January 1st, 2019:
Ooops, it's AA where the restrictions were Nov 1.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not since Jan 1. SC membership only gets access to SC locations now.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Is a "real" SC membership still upgradeable to Exec with cash/miles? That might be another difference. (although I forget if a SC membership purchased outright vs a SC membership using a Choice Benefit differed in this regard)

Right; I think Gig103 is thinking of the new United Club restrictions which went into effect Nov 1.
Yes can be upgraded using miles or cash. If you goto the Skyclub membership page it'll give you prices in both.

Upgrading a choice benefit membership is the best deal. It upgrades you through the period your choice membership benefit gives you. Ie I requakified for DM early this year, around March/April. I used a 2020 DM CB to get SC membership valid through Jan 31, 2021. I then went and used miles to upgrade to Executive membership. I now have an executive membership through same date.
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:17 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Why can't you just get the Reserve card, and print out the page right before you check out for the SkyClub membership online and submit that?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Why can't you just get the Reserve card, and print out the page right before you check out for the SkyClub membership online and submit that?
That pretty much crosses the line from borderline-fraud to clear-cut fraud.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:54 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
That pretty much crosses the line from borderline-fraud to clear-cut fraud.
How? Still getting a skyclub membership, just a different way. No more fraud than purchasing it, getting a refund and submitting the receipt.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"I just started a new job" says OP.

Perhaps committing what is mail fraud, wire fraud, and income tax fraud on your first day (or thereabouts) is not the best way to advance one's career or keep one's compass pointed ahead.

It is the employer who sets the terms of what it offers and the employee who accepts them, negotiates for different ones, or turns the job down. If the employer chooses to reimburse a membership but not a CC fee which includes a membership, either one asks to have the policy changed, turns the job down, or lives within the rules.

Let's not forget the NBA referees who went to federal prison, not for doing a lousy job officiating, but for purchasing fully refundable F tickets, submitting those for reimbursement and then refunding them and purchasing the cheapest Y ticket to be had. That reimbursement becomes taxable income and they did not report it.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:12 am

Since they will reimburse half of a membership, why not consider getting a membership for whoever is your second choice carrier? There are many times my secondary carrier is one I have no status on and otherwise have no lounge access when flying them. If your travel patterns are frequent enough, consider who your second choice carrier is and see if you would benefit from lounge access on that carrier if it was half price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.