Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-MSY is a 3-1/2 hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
JFK has one runway closed until November ??, 2019. In August I was on a flt from JFK to ZRH, the doors closed at T-0 but we sat at the gate (due to NOT major weather) for 1 hour, at T+30 a GA conversed with a push-back agent (I had a window seat). We taxied around the airport (passing the same point a second time) as we neared the t/o queue the captain noted the closed runway to our left...we took off over 2.5 hours late.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
And if they didn't pad, OP and others would come here complaining about missing connections or other important events because the flight timing was too tight and didn't account for JFK traffic.

You can't win with this stuff -- give me the huge padding any day of the week. At least when they have big padding (combined with their on-time rates that track to that padding) that I will be arriving to my gate at or before the time stated on the ticket and plan accordingly (and if it ends up being early -- great I can get started on my vacation / work trip / ride to the hotel / etc., earlier).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
And if they didn't pad, OP and others would come here complaining about missing connections or other important events because the flight timing was too tight and didn't account for JFK traffic.

You can't win with this stuff -- give me the huge padding any day of the week. At least when they have big padding (combined with their on-time rates that track to that padding) that I will be arriving to my gate at or before the time stated on the ticket and plan accordingly (and if it ends up being early -- great I can get started on my vacation / work trip / ride to the hotel / etc., earlier).
Yeah I don't understand the complaints either. I get that people feel they are trying to boost their DOT stats, but who cares? If DL wants to block an extra 10-20 minutes to make sure they can say they're number one, does it matter to you? It's still going to be thousands fewer misconnects daily by adding the extra time.

Also for those of us who live in metro areas the day and time you're departing matters a lot driving, so why wouldn't it matter for flying? In MSP, if you're headed up to Northern MN on a summer Friday afternoon, it can take twice as long than heading up Wednesday before rush hour.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by swampwiz
OK, it ended up taking about 2:50 from gate departure to touchdown. The attendant said that they "do not have to wait on the tarmac". It also seemed to be a bit roundabout; perhaps there was some bad weather along the geodesic. Got to experience the old MSY terminal one last time; Concourse D is so much better than the other ones.
All 3 flights on Nov 4....were right near 3hr ( 2 @ 2:59 and 1 @ 3:00)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
It's also good to point out that JFK has the largest peak/off peak traffic difference of any large US airport. Late afternoon into early evening is when the majority of the flights depart, so flights are padded more (20+ minutes) during these hours than mid-AM flights.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie
It's also good to point out that JFK has the largest peak/off peak traffic difference of any large US airport. Late afternoon into early evening is when the majority of the flights depart, so flights are padded more (20+ minutes) during these hours than mid-AM flights.
+1.

LGA/JFK - RDU PM flights are usually scheduled for 2 hours -- it's a 50 minute flight wheels up to wheels down (plus the maybe 5 minute RDU taxi) but it's usually spot on due to the wait time getting out of LGA/JFK.

And then I'm fine because I've planned my arrival home based on the scheduled arrival -- and on the rare occasions where the stars align and you get right out I am happy to get home 30-45 minutes early
ekozie likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
As my name would imply, I've flown the route 300+ times.

Block time has been from 3 to 3:30 as far back as I can remember, especially in the summer/fall when huge detours are common due to WX.

The flight time is usually 2:30-3:00 on the way down and about 10-15 minutes faster on the way up.
I've had 2 4+ hour flights and one nearly sub 2 hour flight in the last few years

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...853Z/KJFK/KMSY - 4 hour flight last week
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...140Z/KJFK/KMSY - 2.25 hour flight in October
Now that I think about it, doing JFK-MSY does take more time than MSY-JFK, which is about a 2-1/4 hour trip in the air. It must be that the typical wind pattern is that of the Bermuda High, which has the winds coming from the south.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swampwiz
Now that I think about it, doing JFK-MSY does take more time than MSY-JFK, which is about a 2-1/4 hour trip in the air. It must be that the typical wind pattern is that of the Bermuda High, which has the winds coming from the south.
Well, it's really just due to the jetstream, which flows from west to east, and MSY is roughly 850 miles further west of JFK. So there will be a headwind to MSY (even if not straight-on) and a tailwind back to JFK.

FWIW, Southwest blocks LGA-MSY at 3h50m in January, and that's for a mid-day LGA departure when traffic should be lighter. (Though for 12/5 it's only 3h35m).
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.