Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If anyone needs only 59 or fewer MQDs (and no MQMs or MQSs), it looks like buying a SkyMiles Select (slight priority for boarding etc.) subscription before NYE should generate 59MQDs for the price of $59. You might also be able to get AmEx to reimburse it if you have DL fee credits still to be used this year. Details appear in other threads, here for SkyMiles Select and in the AmEx forum for DL fee reimbursements.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:57 pm

I love my Saturdays going back and forth between ATL and BNA for $48 each way in BE and topping up my MQMs instead of paying these exorbitant prices to DL.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
$96 for 1,000 MQMs but what's your time worth? Do you get stuck in a middle seat or is this an RJ route? Also, you're still paying DL close to ten cents per MQM, which many people don't consider that good. [As a hub captive I can sometimes do better that this rate on long flights.] BTW, have you considered how much it costs to get to ATL airport or to pay for airport parking? IME ATL is cheap by MARTA, but airport parking costs are similar to other large cities, perhaps with the more convenient shorter term spaces being near the F concourse.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Saidoh
No offer for me. I will finish the year about 5k MQMs short of DM, and about 5k MQDs over.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

If you're currently PM, note that the rules say that you can't buy up to beyond this year's status.
Edit: I never did receive an email, but when I log into my account, I see the following bundles available:
1k for $2399
2500 for $2799
5k for $2999
7500 for $3199
10k for $3299
12500 for $3399
25k for $4999

So I'm able to buy up to Diamond for $3199, or if I just want extra for the sake of rollover, I can buy some extra too. Still not sure if it's worth it.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM
$96 for 1,000 MQMs but what's your time worth? Do you get stuck in a middle seat or is this an RJ route? Also, you're still paying DL close to ten cents per MQM, which many people don't consider that good. [As a hub captive I can sometimes do better that this rate on long flights.] BTW, have you considered how much it costs to get to ATL airport or to pay for airport parking? IME ATL is cheap by MARTA, but airport parking costs are similar to other large cities, perhaps with the more convenient shorter term spaces being near the F concourse.
Hmm if this is in response to the BHA-ATL post then it's not always purely an economic analysis. "I love my Saturdays" -> what price do you put on that?

I have an example of my own. I'm flying LGA-MSY in January just to get lunch in the airport (!) and to help with the odd offer I got to include Jan flying in 2019 MQM totals. As a mathematically-advantageous Mileage Run, it's a terrible idea. As a treat to myself, it's fantastic.

Sometimes I run the math, but often it's more about the joy of doing something nice.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Saidoh
Edit: I never did receive an email, but when I log into my account, I see the following bundles available:
1k for $2399
2500 for $2799
5k for $2999
7500 for $3199
10k for $3299
12500 for $3399
25k for $4999

So I'm able to buy up to Diamond for $3199, or if I just want extra for the sake of rollover, I can buy some extra too. Still not sure if it's worth it.
For convenient round numbers, if we look at 5,000 versus 25,000 MQMs, that's $2000 for 20,000 MQMs or ten cents per mile, a bit less that the ratio from DL's MQD requirement. For all but DMs, if the person is going to get the MQD waiver, it's not at all a bad deal. However, at the DM level, few people living in the USA can get the waiver, so if you have a lot of rollover that you use and need to make DM next year, you'll need to buy some tickets that cost a lot more than ten cents per MQM. Depending on travel patterns, this might happen naturally or it could involve needing to give DL more money toward the end of the year.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
If anyone needs only 59 or fewer MQDs (and no MQMs or MQSs), it looks like buying a SkyMiles Select (slight priority for boarding etc.) subscription before NYE should generate 59MQDs for the price of $59. You might also be able to get AmEx to reimburse it if you have DL fee credits still to be used this year. Details appear in other threads, here for SkyMiles Select and in the AmEx forum for DL fee reimbursements.
Is this based on experience or is there a link? I might need this....
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by williwaw
Is this based on experience or is there a link? I might need this....
It's based on this post in the Skymiles Select thread:

Originally Posted by artrw
I bought this a couple weeks ago and thought I'd mention that, for whatever reason, the purchase price counts towards MQDs. Sorry if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but a quick search didn't show anything. This could be a much cheaper way of crossing a status threshold than either the buy-up offers or an extra trip for someone obnoxiously close to qualification.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Zorak
Thank you!!
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:02 am

What is the best credit card to use? Would it code as 5x with the Amex Platinum?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Which “elevate” status do I buy?

My husband needs 1,649 MQMs and $1,103 dollars to the next level.... IF I read it right the purchase price goes towards reducing the MQDs... correct?
So if I spend $599 for $599 MQDs plus 2500 MQMs the $599 I spend counts twice right? I’m buying $599 plus they count the $599 I spend toward MQMs?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ORDPSC
My husband needs 1,649 MQMs and $1,103 dollars to the next level.... IF I read it right the purchase price goes towards reducing the MQDs... correct?
So if I spend $599 for $599 MQDs plus 2500 MQMs the $599 I spend counts twice right? I’m buying $599 plus they count the $599 I spend toward MQMs?
Yes, it works just like a flight. You pay for a flight (earns MQDs after you fly) and you fly the flight (earns MQMs).
ORDPSC likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ORDPSC
The $599 will only count once. You are essentially trading dollars for MQDs at 1:1 with some MQM thrown in.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If I understand your question correctly, then no...
For paying Delta $599 you get the following credited to your skymiles account:

599 MQDs
2500 MQMs

So while that would put him over on the MQM side, he'll still be short 504 MQDs
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Ok thanks I’ll buy the one that also gets the MQDs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.