Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK reclaiming status requires some story and justification about a life event, such as giving birth to a child, that prevented you from flying during the relevant period. You also can't do it too often. I suspect that it requires or can require documentation.
I guess my life event of "I was too cheap to buy expensive tickets" probably wouldn't go over too well

Not to hijack the thread, but Delta did get about half the money from me this year than during my DM (w/ wavier) years -- Combined trips, got a couple of good award redemptions (which I never used to do as I always needed the MQM). On the other side, that half was less than a TPAC J trip so I doubt they missed it

As for why buy MQMs instead of taking a trip -- personally, I'd rather take the trip but with the end of the year I could see family obligations getting in the way. Spending $1399 for some MQMs is a lot less than a divorce lawyer
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I got the $4999 DM offer. interestingly enough I already have the MQM and I only need $4600 MQD. I understand that this is easier than flying but why wouldn't I want to save $300
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:09 pm

My offer * was

Ummmm....no thank you DL. I will end up with more than this in both MQM and MQD (and I don't need the MQM) for more about 2/3 less.

*(which I don't need, have a planned trip to MEX end of the month, was going anyway, but booked the flights on AM vs DL, even though SFO-LAX are DL operated and got a good deal for first during a AM sale)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM
I too received an email tonight to buy up to DM status for next year. It was the $4999 offer as others have posted (25,000 MQMs, 36 MQSs, and 4999 MQDs).

I'm currently PM, and based on current standings + one final trip of the year next month I'll only lack DM by roughly $1500 MQDs, satisfying all other requirements. Still, I'm quite happy with PM status and having LOTS of rollover for next year. So I'll pass.

And especially since I bought two D1 tickets last night for a summer trip ($3900 each) DL has gotten enough of my money this year.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:10 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I got the same 25k MQM, 36 MQS for $4999

I've only got award tickets book on DL since Oct 2019 to the end of the year and am short 411 MQM and $4535 MQDs.

I've also got a trick up my sleeve with a VS flight to JNB soon in J/PM and the outbound CI to BKK in PM, SO NO THANK YOU!!!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I am hitting PM today on my outbound. Wonder if the offer will change later today or tomorrow?

My max in the offerings with 25k MQMs for $3599
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
I am hitting PM today on my outbound. Wonder if the offer will change later today or tomorrow?

My max in the offerings with 25k MQMs for $3599
Last year my offer price more than doubled as I crossed the threshold from GM to PM. In hindsight I should have taken advantage of the relatively low offer price as a GM.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
Fascinating to see all the variations of MQM/Pricing! I've been a Diamond for the last 5 years and typically roll over about 20k MQM. I have (thankfully) flown much less in 2019. I'm currently at 64K MQM and $10K MQD, with trips planned through Dec 29 i'll hit 75,700 MQM for Platinum. Delta gave me an offer of 12,500 MQM, 18 MQS and $1,999 MQD. not useful this year but possibly next year!

For 2020, I can see my travel being about the same (50k mqm) so with my 2MM "lifetime" gold status looks like 2021 and beyond will be relegated to GM unless I really want to stretch my sanity and do a handful of TPAC trips!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:26 am

I received the offer to buy up from Gold to Platinum for $1,999. I've already satisfied the $ requirement for Platinum. I'm short about 10,000 MQMs. I could easily fly a bit before year end to make up the difference. I just can't really be bothered to do it and not sure there's any value for me bc I pay for first or Delta One whenever I fly. Either way, I'm definitely not paying $1,999 to buy up to the next level.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

BTW, I'm a firm believer in the fun long weekend trip, even if it's just to explore a great restaurant or enjoy a really good hotel for a night or so, rather than the genuine back-to-back immediate turnaround MR where you never leave the airport. I also favor buying sensible discounted premium cabin fares where the extra MQMs are needed or provide an advantage.
Me too. I have an MR to JNB next month, and I intentionally gave myself a night to spend in the city. To me, it makes it more than just a MR and a little easier to justify the cost . Ok, back to the topic at hand...
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
No email offer though already re-qualified for PM and sitting in no-man's land for DM at 98k/$11.5k and will likely end the year at 99k/$12k barring unexpected last minute trips (aka my ideal position for 2020 rollover) -- so not surprised since not sure what they would really offer
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
No email either, currently at PM for 2020 but will hit DM with what's booked.

I am on the other hand receiving a steady stream of DL AMEX offers so there's that
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
No offer for me (Never get one). Went to the web page and it says I am not eligible.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
No email offer though already re-qualified for PM and sitting in no-man's land for DM at 98k/$11.5k and will likely end the year at 99k/$12k barring unexpected last minute trips (aka my ideal position for 2020 rollover) -- so not surprised since not sure what they would really offer
If you hit 100,000 MQMs, it could be interesting to see whether DL then sends you a late offer to buy up to DM.

This year DL is willing to sell up to 25,000 MQMs. IIRC it was a maximum of 10,000 MQMs in previous years.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I got what appears to be the lowest buy-in. I currently have 35,300 MQM, about 5,000 MQM booked before year end

I also can spend about $5,000 on my Delta Amex Platinum to get to the $25,000 threshold for 10,000 MQM.

I’m wondering if I should double dip so I can get some extra rollover in 2020. I also may have an international flight in December that could get me 10,000 miles

Last edited by Adelphos; Nov 5, 2019 at 8:57 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.