Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

#2 on standby with a middle seat. 5 others got an aisle or window?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

#2 on standby with a middle seat. 5 others got an aisle or window?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I noticed this a few weeks ago when I did SDS (this was my first experience doing SDS as I avoid standby for this reason). I was No.12 on the standby list, with 30+ seats available. There were also many names behind me. So I felt pretty confident I would get on. Plenty of "good" seats throughout the aircraft, including numerous exit row seats.

While at the SkyClub, 11 names cleared ahead of me. I was now #1 . Names ahead of me were clearing into middle seats throughout the plane while the exit rows remained open. I left the club and went to the gate (which was right by the club) and asked the gate agent if she could clear me into an exit row.

Now I cannot tell just "who" was ahead of me on the "Awaiting Seat Assignment" list - were they Non-Rev Positive Space employees, passengers who were already confirmed but hadn't been assigned a seat, other Medallions also doing SDS who were higher on the list than me. I also have no idea who was behind me. But it at least made me wonder if a minor form of "Shena" was going on, and that the GA was giving people higher on the list worse seats and then giving better seats to those (possible NRSA's) on the list. Or it could have been the opposite and the GA was trying to look out for revenue passengers as for all I know the GA was doing the opposite and giving NRPS who were higher priority "worse" seats and trying to save the better seats for revenue passengers from other flights who were doing SDS but would make the flight. At least the GA did clear me into the exit row aisle when I asked, so at least for me, it worked out. Had I been cleared into a middle, I would have just opted out and remained on my confirmed two hours later and enjoyed more time in the SkyClub.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. How do you opt out of a SDS that has cleared? Is your previous flight, including the previous seat assignment on it, still available at that point? And what about upgrade requests for the previous flight? Would they be lost or would there be a new (later) timestamp as the tiebreaker?

2. My *guess* is that the eleven ahead of you were confirmed passengers on the flight who had purchased BE tickets. If so, I'm glad the GA gave them the middle seats and gave better seats to you and other elites trying to get onto the flight.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. How do you opt out of a SDS that has cleared? Is your previous flight, including the previous seat assignment on it, still available at that point? And what about upgrade requests for the previous flight? Would they be lost or would there be a new (later) timestamp as the tiebreaker?

2. My *guess* is that the eleven ahead of you were confirmed passengers on the flight who had purchased BE tickets. If so, I'm glad the GA gave them the middle seats and gave better seats to you and other elites trying to get onto the flight.
You dont get removed from original flight till you actually board and fly the "standby" flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
I believe that sometimes prior to "Final call", upgrades are distributed, yet at Final Call, passengers who have preferred seats may not show and their seats are cleared for reassignment. At that point, an elite member may already have an assigned seat that is less desirable than those cleared for reassignment at the last minute.
this would be the most likely scenario. Even as a NRSA you can be #1 on standby and get a worse seat than someone down the list from you who got a vacated seat when the GA dropped the no shows. If you’re a revenue passenger, it doesn’t hurt to ask the gate agent to call you up if a window or aisle becomes available.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Yea guys I didn't buy a BE fare. I had an H fare for these first two and U fare for the two segments coming up later this week.

The 1st guy on standby was the #1 on C+ and he got a C+ middle. I was #2 on C+ and #2 on standby and got a middle near the back. There were 5 others who got an aisle or window in some capacity. I wasn't the furthest back so it must've been done by fare class instead of standby order, which is kind of disappointing I suppose. I understand a BE fare but I have never and will never buy one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.