Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to HNL seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Flying to HNL seeking advice

I'll be headed to a conference in Honolulu next year, and I am a complete rookie with the following and looking for advice.

1.) Should I wait for my Amex companion pass (I get it in Jan 2020) to book, or is it better to book now than wait? Flights around 3/24-29? [Answered: cert cannot be used.]

2.) Are there issues with using companion passes that I should know about? Or, just read the thread? [Answered; cert cannot be used.]

3.) First Class vs. Delta One?

4.) I'm now located right between PIT and CLE (CAK) is also available. CLE-SLC-HNL is probably the fastest route, but CAK-ATL-HNL appears to be the cheapest D1 option...

All in all I'm looking for advice here. I'll take 73 year old mom out with me, and want to maximize her comfort and experience.

[I have PM status for this and next year, and would have at least two RUCs available if that makes any difference.]

Last edited by Wimsta; Oct 31, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Wimsta
I'll be headed to a conference in Honolulu next year, and I am a complete rookie with the following and looking for advice.

1.) Should I wait for my Amex companion pass (I get it in Jan 2020) to book, or is it better to book now than wait? Flights around 3/24-29?

2.) Are there issues with using companion passes that I should know about? Or, just read the thread?

3.) First Class vs. Delta One?

4.) I'm now located right between PIT and CLE (CAK) is also available. CLE-SLC-HNL is probably the fastest route, but CAK-ATL-HNL appears to be the cheapest D1 option...

All in all I'm looking for advice here. I'll take 73 year old mom out with me, and want to maximize her comfort and experience.

[I have PM status for this and next year, and would have at least two RUCs available if that makes any difference.]
I’m confused, you can’t use AMEX companion certificates to Hawaii unless you are a resident from there and must originate ex-Hawaii. If I were you and you want to fly in F, I would purchase it outright as flights to HI tend to sell out sometimes sometimes a month before departure on the ATL-HNL route so I wouldn’t depend on a RUC.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’m confused, you can’t use AMEX companion certificates to Hawaii unless you are a resident from there and must originate ex-Hawaii. If I were you and you want to fly in F, I would purchase it outright as flights to HI tend to sell out sometimes sometimes a month before departure on the ATL-HNL route so I wouldn’t depend on a RUC.
Ok, thanks for letting me know, I've never used the companion cert before, I thought HNL was covered. That clears things up.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Ok, thanks for letting me know, I've never used the companion cert before, I thought HNL was covered. That clears things up.
I’ve previously used the companion cert to go to a west coast city and then book a ticket to Hawaii in between. My parents did the same when they came to visit in Seattle while I lived there. They used the companion cert to get to SEA. Spent a few days in Seattle. Then they flew to/from Hawaii on a separate ticket. Then they had a few day in Seattle again after coming back from Hawaii before continuing home.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’ve previously used the companion cert to go to a west coast city and then book a ticket to Hawaii in between. My parents did the same when they came to visit in Seattle while I lived there. They used the companion cert to get to SEA. Spent a few days in Seattle. Then they flew to/from Hawaii on a separate ticket. Then they had a few day in Seattle again after coming back from Hawaii before continuing home.
I can see that.

I think the answer in my case is to decide which route and class to fly and book it.
I don't expect I'm going to get many suggestions on any routes being much better than others or providing utility of RUCs or UGs. I'll probably just take the C+ and call it good.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
FYI: The 757 DL flies to HNL are old and the C+ seats are not very good. My wife has had back issues since.....We flew thru LAX on way out and SEA back and both
757 were terrible, this was in Feb 2019
3 years ago we went and went thru SLC and at that time DL flew a 767 and that was a much better flight, seat, plane wise
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I don't know that any extra money for D1 would be worth it, but I would definitely try for the lie-flat in F. the service level will be the same as domestic F and not elevated like D1, but if you're looking for comfort, the bed is the same. in terms of routing, I'd assess your and your mom's situation. will you need to fly as far west as possible to break up the trip, or could you realistically and comfortably make the trip from Atlanta.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:44 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, read the terms of the certificate (found in "my wallet" in your SkyMiles profile) but no, you can't use it to Hawaii nor Alaska. Certainly the D1 lay-flats and service are going to be the best. For your 78 yo mom, I'd just splurge if it's affordable (I believe D1 is NOT from the West Coast Cities, but most of the midwest/east coast flights).
At that age, sometimes it's the last time people will ever travel again, so I say make the best of it. If you find a fare that's acceptable, just do it, never wait.

If you have the RUCs since ti seems you are PM, then best thing is to call the PM agents, tell them what you want and see if you can confirm them at ticketing (assuming you've selected getting RUCs as your Choice Benefits). If you haven't already selected them, you could do some preliminary investigation and see if you will be able to get the D1 seats confirmed. Or if you have miles, you can do that as well (20k bonus miles available as an alternative to the RUCs for the PM Choice Benefit).

Does that make sense??

Last edited by NOLAnwGOLD; Nov 1, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:15 pm

I’ve done MSP-HNL when it was F, MSP-HNL as D1, and SLC-HNL in F, all on the A330. The food and service are marginally better in D1 but to me the hard product is what I’d be after. I wouldn’t spend much extra or go out of my way just for D1. It’s still a step or 2 below international D1. Personally I’d break it up with a stop in SLC and do lie flat F. You won’t be missing out on much at all.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mspdoc
I’ve done MSP-HNL when it was F, MSP-HNL as D1, and SLC-HNL in F, all on the A330. The food and service are marginally better in D1 but to me the hard product is what I’d be after. I wouldn’t spend much extra or go out of my way just for D1. It’s still a step or 2 below international D1. Personally I’d break it up with a stop in SLC and do lie flat F. You won’t be missing out on much at all.
I thought HNL-SLC switched to a standard domestic 757?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I thought HNL-SLC switched to a standard domestic 757?
For the summer, yes. But they usually switch back to an A330 for the winter season. Although I just did a dummy booking for March just to be sure and interestingly enough SLC-HNL is an A330 but marketed as Delta One. That would be new for this season. Previously I’m pretty sure only ATL/JFK/MSP-HNL were D1 flights.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First Class vs. Delta One?
Cheapest possible.

There is something interesting about ex-HNL domestic routes of any airlines - the premium cabin is always the first to fill up. But not necessary for economy. So yes F or D1 can get you a better seat setting. But someone is definitely sitting next to you. On the other hand, if you are lucky enough, you can get an empty seat next to you.

Although I don't fly DL, I can tell you that F or D1 does not matter.

I'll take 73 year old mom out with me, and want to maximize her comfort and experience.
Then don't bring her.

Regardless F, D1, EC or Y, it is always hard to fly at least 5-6 hours. The discomfort is the price you need to pay for any Hawaiian adventures.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Even with a RUC, the D1 seats thru SLC are almost always sold out. Depends on the day if there's even a seat available. I can't imagine a RUC clearing in advance
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
We've been flying to HNL once or twice a year from the NYC area for the past 15+ years and I've seen all sorts of configurations, various planes and taken all different routes. As to the F v. D1 cost, YMMV. That all depends how comfortable you are with what seat you have for an extended period of time. I'm 6'4" so for the longer distance, it's totally worth it to me. My wife is 5'0" so she's fine in Comfort or even a regular seat. With your 73 year old mother as a travel companion, health issues (bad back, etc...) might play into it as well.

D1 to Hawaii is a nice treat, and while it's not the international soft-product, the hard product is the same and much more comfortable. The bigger item is the ex-HNL trip home. Those flights are over-night and a traditional F seat is usually far from comfortable for that. It might be worth it to do F on the way there and try to snag D1 on the way home for comfort and cost savings. Keep in mind, those ex-HNL lie flats sell out fast.

We're heading back in February and coming home, we're on an HNL to DTW which is the seasonal D1 offering (A330). I'm not sure when that ends compared to your March travel window and not sure if that'll still be running at that time, but might be worth looking into as an option.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
If you are willing to do the drive, may want to check ex-YYZ fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.