Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Displeasing Lounge Access Rule (JFK-CUN in F)

Old Oct 29, 19, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer;[url=tel:31677599
31677599[/url]]That's your problem. First class tickets don't come with lounge access on any domestic airline that I'm aware of. You should have done a quick Google search ahead of time.
Try Alaska Airlines. We fly first class with them all the time and have lounge access.
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sspontak View Post
I have flown DL JFK-CUN for the last few years in FC and I have always gotten Sky Club access. I flew JFK-CUN FC on October 19th and for the first time I was declined access to the Sky Club. The Sky Club agent said the policy changed in March 2019 and I was no longer allowed access to the Sky Club on this FC ticket. This type of FC ticket has had Sky Club access in the past but the policy has changed this year.
On my return flight on Oct 26th, the routing was FC - CUN-MEX on Aero Mexico and FC - MEX-JFK was on DL. There was no AM lounge in the CUN terminal I was in so no access. But in MEX on the DL FC ticket, I did get access to the AM lounge. This is how it normally is so no changes on the return.

I was definitely surprised Delta would not give me lounge access on a DL FC ticket to their own lounge on the JFK-CUN routing as in the past but Aero Mexico still allowed lounge access on the DL FC on the MEX-JFK routing. Not a good was for DL to treat their Mexico traveling FC passengers.
Old Oct 29, 19, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This reminds me of the Canada travel thread on Delta......used to qualify for SC access, then became vague and then it seems like DL took it away altogether.
Old Oct 29, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
On my return flight on Oct 26th, the routing was FC - CUN-MEX on Aero Mexico and FC - MEX-JFK was on DL. There was no AM lounge in the CUN terminal I was in so no access. But in MEX on the DL FC ticket, I did get access to the AM lounge. This is how it normally is so no changes on the return.

I was definitely surprised Delta would not give me lounge access on a DL FC ticket to their own lounge on the JFK-CUN routing as in the past but Aero Mexico still allowed lounge access on the DL FC on the MEX-JFK routing. Not a good was for DL to treat their Mexico traveling FC passengers.
There must be a domestic lounge in CUN, I've been there multiple times, on the second floor, right next to kind of shops or something. The lounge is pretty basic though, the only PRO I can say is the bottled water that you can bring onboard.
Old Oct 29, 19, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

DL, and other carriers, look very careful at who gets lounge access. DL has drawn the line between D1 and F. I doubt that you will see minor variations from this as it is both part of the D1 branding and also because it creates exactly the sort of confusion about what "international" means.

On DL, international is not the determinant.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Lampsaw View Post
Try Alaska Airlines. We fly first class with them all the time and have lounge access.
Only on paid FC tickets, right? IIRC FC award tickets aren't included, nor are instrument-supported or paid (cheap) FC upgrades.
Old Oct 29, 19, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
DL, and other carriers, look very careful at who gets lounge access. DL has drawn the line between D1 and F. I doubt that you will see minor variations from this as it is both part of the D1 branding and also because it creates exactly the sort of confusion about what "international" means.

The distinction between D1 and F is often not all that obvious to avid travelers like ourselves, let alone the general public. By contrast, the vast majority of people understand that Canada and Mexico are different countries than the United States. As such, making "international" the determinant would presumably eliminate a great deal of confusion. I also still fail to grasp why lounges are considered so desirable (by airlines and passengers alike).
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Yes, we have had these discussions a number of times. It is likely the case that the "First" class being referred to on the Skyteam policy page are the true International First Class products (such as those provided by the likes of AF and KE), and does not include the domestic "First" class offered by DL which as we all know bears no relationship to true International F products.

The "(excluding Delta)" wording was added to the website back in February. If there was no change in policy, why did they add that extra wording? Clearly it would be helpful if they cleaned up some of the language as well with that addition, but it's a bit challenging to believe that wording was added with no corresponding change in policy.
Per multiple agents and DL CS, the exclusion was an oversight. No one apparently realized that Canada/Mexico was included previously by virtue of the ST portion and not the Delta portion. It's not like DL hasn't done this before when updating policies. (Bad wording seems to be the norm) Basically itll be YMMV depending on agent.
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I have flown DL JFK-CUN for the last few years in FC and I have always gotten Sky Club access. I flew JFK-CUN FC on October 19th and for the first time I was declined access to the Sky Club. The Sky Club agent said the policy changed in March 2019 and I was no longer allowed access to the Sky Club on this FC ticket. This type of FC ticket has had Sky Club access in the past but the policy has changed this year.
Not sure about the date it changed, but it's definitely correct that the verbiage didn't refer D1 up until recently and access included international "Business" branded routes to Mexico (but not the Caribbean).
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
If you have a lot of time to kill and really want SC access just buy an eligible Delta One same-day flight, gain SC access and then call to cancel it. For the 10 minutes you are double booked doubtful it will be flagged.
Or you can just pay the $29 for entry.

Are we that cheap now that we can buy a JFK-CUN F ticket but have no money left for the SC fee ??

Geezus
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

When Im in most SCs it doesnt look like they look very carefully at all based on the crowds. Haha
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Frogbone View Post

Are we that cheap now that we can buy a JFK-CUN F ticket but have no money left for the SC fee ??

Geezus
OP said this was "My first time on Delta" and is based in London/Singapore. Why would you assume they would have a DL-branded credit card? Delta stopped selling single entry passes to those without DL credit cards in 2018, and until then they were $59 not $29.
Old Oct 29, 19, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
OP said this was "My first time on Delta" and is based in London/Singapore. Why would you assume they would have a DL-branded credit card? Delta stopped selling single entry passes to those without DL credit cards in 2018, and until then they were $59 not $29.
My reply wasn't to the OP. It was to the person that suggested to book two flights, cancel one to game the system.
Old Oct 29, 19, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Frogbone View Post

Geezus
I believe single day passes are no longer sold.
Old Oct 29, 19, 5:43 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I believe single day passes are no longer sold.
Correct, they eliminated these along with the introduction of the asinine DL/ScaryTeam boarding pass requirement.

Search this Thread