FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   London upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1993167-london-upgrades.html)

heckler Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm

London upgrades

Im a seasoned old traveler from the days when you could only upgrade YBM fares. Or score an OP up across The pond.

PMs lost our GUC / SWUs so options have dwindled further. So what are my options these days to get from PNS to LHR?
am I limited only to Only paid upgrades at the counter or kiosk? I know the variety affairs is also expanded to include most of
fares to include Q, H, K.

Travel will be within the next month ocean towards thanksgiving. Thanks folks.

bennos Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm

These are the threads you are looking for:

Duke787 Oct 28, 2019 7:54 pm

You'll likely get some sort of cash upgrade offer once you book via DL.com or the DL app. Have seen as low as $799 and as high as $3500 -- not real rhyme or reason. You can also choose to pay that offer with miles at 1 CPM.

SkyMiles to upgrade on VS (linked above) is the best deal out there for LHR (either booking Y and upgrading to PE or booking PE and upgrading to J)

13thandseven Oct 28, 2019 8:19 pm

You haven't flown internationally since 2013? SWUs went away starting 2014 calendar year. You can always create a 7-day Pro free trial on Expert Flyer to check VS availability.

Thanksgiving Day is exactly one month from today. Honestly, I wouldn't get my hopes up to find upgrade availability less than 30 days out on a major US holiday week.

MSPeconomist Oct 28, 2019 9:15 pm

If you don't get a good cash upgrade offer, try for an upgrade award at a fixed number of miles (not the pay with miles option to buy up to a D1 fare) depending on your fare class "group" if applicable, although these require the same upgrade inventory bucket as GUCs (which isn't shown online for DL flights).

FlyinHawaiian Oct 29, 2019 4:49 am

If your routing ends up as PNS-NYC-LHR. you should familiarize yourself with the extra benefits that PMs have (such as, access to the Virgin Clubhouse departure lounges). NYC-LHR in C+ on DL763/4 is fine if you can score a window/aisle combo. Premium Economy on VS is even nicer if you can find a reasonable fare.

VS offers a bid-to-upgrade program but only for flights ticketed on their stock. Otherwise, they offer day of departure upgrade$ at the airport. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...w-upgrade.html

pgh234 Oct 29, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by 13thandseven (Post 31676093)
You haven't flown internationally since 2013? SWUs went away starting 2014 calendar year. You can always create a 7-day Pro free trial on Expert Flyer to check VS availability.

Thanksgiving Day is exactly one month from today. Honestly, I wouldn't get my hopes up to find upgrade availability less than 30 days out on a major US holiday week.

Thanksgiving is the perfect time for empty D1 cabins. Plenty of OPUPs and GUCs will clear over holidays.

daloosh Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 31676932)
Thanksgiving is the perfect time for empty D1 cabins. Plenty of OPUPs and GUCs will clear over holidays.

I've found lots of plans change over Thanksgiving in particular, because it's such a short time period, everyone's trying to get out on Wednesday and home on Sunday, but a lot of people wind up missing one or the other. However, the other days are pretty good days at the airport. Some of those summer weekends are worse than Thanksgiving!

heckler Nov 2, 2019 3:31 pm

Got an update, folks.Called SMS, They applied the value of my unused ticket to cover a newly issued D1 ticked.

So I got a new D1 ticket there and back, paid... and without having to sweat an upgrade .

Thanks for the help,

NOLAnwGOLD Nov 2, 2019 10:39 pm

Yeah it's best to buy what you want to travel on/in. VS's app is really upfront about paid upgrades, price fluctuations all the time. I recently bought a JNB-LHR-LAX booked in PE (W) and was $611 total. Was often a lot more but did it.

Enjoy the LHR VS lounge, you'll have access in D1 as well and it's great. The VS lounges incentivizes me to arrive early to the airport for food, beverages and maybe even a free facial. For spa treatments, book them as you arrive.