Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSY New Terminal & Club opening 11/6/19

Old Oct 27, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere

The new terminal and Sky Club are scheduled to open on November 6, 2019.

Info here:

Terminal Info: https://www.nola.com/news/article_bd...3bf6a95ee.html

Food Info: ttps://www.nola.com/multimedia/photos/collection_0892b708-f740-11e9-9e0d-fba2b6a4431a.html#1

Nothing from Delta yet on the new Sky Club
Old Oct 27, 19, 7:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Related thread containing general information and updates from MSY-based members here: New MSY terminal delays & traffic issues

I’m flying MSY-ATL on November 3 so will visit the old terminal and Sky Club one last time.
Old Oct 27, 19, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I searched but didn't see that thread.

Can you just delete this one snce you're a Moderator?

Thank you
Old Oct 27, 19, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I think there's value in having a stand-alone thread in this forum to concentrate discussion about the new Sky Club and experiences specific to Delta travelers; I provided the link as it has more general information about the traffic concerns, state of overall readiness, and some photos of the new terminal.

FYI, although I am a volunteer moderator, my posts in this forum are as a general member. I'll only moderate posts in the forums to which I am assigned.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. My first flight is into MSY on 11/9, a Saturday. It also happens to be my MM flight.

I'm parked at PNF on Airline so I'll be able to give a report if no one has before then.

The staff is excited about the new Club. A lot bigger and more modern.
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I will be flying out of MSY on the 8th. I have been warned that getting to the new terminal is going to take much longer than in the past due to the new routing. So, if I am not too delayed by that, I should be able to give a few comments.
Old Oct 28, 19, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Originally Posted by BamaGirl View Post
I will be flying out of MSY on the 8th. I have been warned that getting to the new terminal is going to take much longer than in the past due to the new routing. So, if I am not too delayed by that, I should be able to give a few comments.
Depends on a few factors, primarily whether you're driving. The new terminal access is actually closer to I-10, though not accessed from the same exit. So if you're being dropped off, may not be much different. This will depend on traffic, really.

If you're parking at the old long-term garage or returning a rental car, those are still in the old places, so the shuttle ride will definitely add time.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:00 am

The new terminal and Club are gorgeous. I am there now. I am not going to snap photos because there are plenty on the blogs. I love the fact that they didn’t use the ‘Target’ style furniture they’ve used in many of the remodels. The leather chairs and good quality upholstery on the wrap around bench seating gives the club a warm, more adult/business club feel. And I could see myself enjoying an adult beverage at the bar in the back of the Club next visit.

A heads up...the elevator is not functional. So plan on walking up to the 2nd floor (likely till next week according to the girl I spoke with while checking in.)

As for traffic into the terminal-I arrived at about 7:30 am. My Lyft driver said we just beat what he called ‘brutal’ backups on Loyola. I asked him in general how much extra time he would allow at typical rush hours...he suggested at least 30 minutes. I have no idea if that is a good guesstimate. But the new club is a great place to spend extra time if you’ve got it.

Kudos to Delta. This should be a prototype for remodels and new clubs in the future.
Old Nov 8, 19, 7:29 am

Slight correction. After further discussion with a station manager...they are waiting for a part for the elevator. It will likely be a month before it is functional.
Old Nov 9, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Originally Posted by BamaGirl View Post
The new terminal and Club are gorgeous. I am there now. I am not going to snap photos because there are plenty on the blogs. I love the fact that they didn’t use the ‘Target’ style furniture they’ve used in many of the remodels. The leather chairs and good quality upholstery on the wrap around bench seating gives the club a warm, more adult/business club feel. And I could see myself enjoying an adult beverage at the bar in the back of the Club next visit.

A heads up...the elevator is not functional. So plan on walking up to the 2nd floor (likely till next week according to the girl I spoke with while checking in.)

As for traffic into the terminal-I arrived at about 7:30 am. My Lyft driver said we just beat what he called ‘brutal’ backups on Loyola. I asked him in general how much extra time he would allow at typical rush hours...he suggested at least 30 minutes. I have no idea if that is a good guesstimate. But the new club is a great place to spend extra time if you’ve got it.

Kudos to Delta. This should be a prototype for remodels and new clubs in the future.
Thanks for the report! ^
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Platinum & HH Diamond
Yes, thanks for the report. I’m heading to MSY Tuesday and return Friday, off peak times.
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Well I look forward to visiting on Monday. Sounds like a great club!
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Went to the Club yesterday on arrival. Got some additional info.

The Club is smaller than the old Club but seats more people. Looks really nice and as BamaGirl pointed out, nice furnishings. DL wanted more space but the City wouldn't agree to it. (IMO - DL wouldn't make pay-offs).

The food area is larger but since the Club is narrower there will be traffic congestion. Real dishes and silverware! Crawfish Pasta is new.

There'll be 2 elevators in about a month. Not DL's issue, but Airport Authority screw up. If you can't do the 31 steps and can wait a couple of minutes DL will get you up or down on the freight elevator.

The entire airport facility isn't really ready but the delays were costing airlines and vendors so much, they opened anyway.

Non Club related. There appeared to be 7 TSA lanes but only 1 Pre lane. The Pre lane (also Clear) is at the far right as you enter the terminal. The C Gates, DL and the Club are at the other end of the TSA area.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Platinum & HH Diamond
Traffic was not bid mid afternoon, but the Lyft driver said some days are better than others. Clear was quick, but the Pre metal detector seems awfully sensitive. I took off my belt but still set it off, requiring a trip through the scanner. I’d say 50% or more had the same experience.

Sitting in the club now. Much like the rest of the terminal, it’s long and narrow. Food options are great, with oysters and boiled shrimp this afternoon.

Wifi is down, but can easily access the free airport network.

As mentioned, prepare for a long flight of stairs to get in.
Old Nov 15, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I got to use the new Term and Delta SC at MSY this month. I was unimpressed by the terminal. Coming in after 8:30pm the term was deserted and near empty except for people exiting for baggage. There was little signage for shuttle busses to hotels and of course no info desk for new arrivals. In spite of using a cane to walk with luggage it was 1/2 mile walk just to get to a shuttle bus or Uber/Lyft pickup area. It was also a 1/2 mile walk between the gate and the rental car location and again no shuttle service evident in either direction..

I would urge other Delta visitors to avoid this airport for this reason.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: