Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Redcoat and GA: “As a DM, you’re also subject to a standby fee”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM

Arrived at JFK early and was hoping to catch an earlier flight out. I went to the gate of flight that I wanted to get on and informed the GA that I was a DM and was hoping to get home early. She said that there’s a $75 charge. I was surprised and said, “Wait, I’m a DM though. I thought there wasn’t a fee.” She shook her head and said that there’d be a charge. During this entire exchange, the redcoat next to the GA is nodding and affirming that I was subject to a $75 fee. In the end, I just walked away and stayed on my original flight, which is just as well, because I got upgraded. DMs aren’t subject to a standby fee, right?

My sense is that JFK has some of the least pleasant and sometimes combative agents, including SC staff, that I’ve experienced (out of all the DL hubs). Are these folks just charging other GM+ who aren’t aware that fees are waived for them?
sdadept, KRSW, ryandc99 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
No, there is no standby fee for DM. In a case like this, your best bet is to just walk away and call the Diamond line or visit the Sky Club... you'll almost never win arguing policy with a misinformed GA, and it's better to just have someone who knows what they're doing take care of the transaction for you.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
There's not a whole lot you can do when someone is just wrong, but the best way to resolve it would be to pull up your phone, search Google for the benefit, and go to the page in question (in this case, this one) and politely ask if you're misunderstanding the policy. Most of the time this will at least make them rethink and either solve it on the spot or call someone else. If this still fails, and you really want to push things, try either the in-person HUCA and talk to someone else or try to escalate to the station manager.

Also, I think that phone agents can put you on standby lists now - so you can also try to call the Diamond desk.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Wow this is truly pathetic re: DL at JFK :/

Please report this too
Spiff, KRSW, lsquare and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Arrived at JFK early and was hoping to catch an earlier flight out. I went to the gate of flight that I wanted to get on and informed the GA that I was a DM and was hoping to get home early. She said that there’s a $75 charge. I was surprised and said, “Wait, I’m a DM though. I thought there wasn’t a fee.” She shook her head and said that there’d be a charge. During this entire exchange, the redcoat next to the GA is nodding and affirming that I was subject to a $75 fee. In the end, I just walked away and stayed on my original flight, which is just as well, because I got upgraded. DMs aren’t subject to a standby fee, right?

My sense is that JFK has some of the least pleasant and sometimes combative agents, including SC staff, that I’ve experienced (out of all the DL hubs). Are these folks just charging other GM+ who aren’t aware that fees are waived for them?
That's pathetic. Please write in a complaint so that these incompetent people can be trained in procedures and policies.
Spiff, hnewman, sdadept and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
There's not a whole lot you can do when someone is just wrong, but the best way to resolve it would be to pull up your phone, search Google for the benefit, and go to the page in question (in this case, this one) and politely ask if you're misunderstanding the policy. Most of the time this will at least make them rethink and either solve it on the spot or call someone else. If this still fails, and you really want to push things, try either the in-person HUCA and talk to someone else or try to escalate to the station manager.

Also, I think that phone agents can put you on standby lists now - so you can also try to call the Diamond desk.
I stepped to side, call DM line, making sure to say the issue. Once done I ask GA to confirm I'm on standby. (Or for new BP if can confirm instead) 😈
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Was in paid J (LAX-JFK) and tried to get on an earlier flight. The gate agent said no seats in J. I looked at the monitor at the gate and it said one J seat available. He said doesn’t see it and even if there was one seat, I would have to pay the fare difference. I said I am a Diamond and J has same day confirmed anyway. He said I was wrong. I called Delta in front of him and they put me on the flight. Was so crazy. He was mad at me. I then made him SDC my colleague who was in coach. He tried the same thing of repricing etc. But then just did it and said fine you both got the last two seats on the plane. Looks like these standbys wont get on. He was so mad he made us walk all the way around the boarding area to the other line rather than just scan our boarding pass and let us board. Oh well. I got home 1.5 hours sooner and followed the rules.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Like other I would just call and get them to make the change. And I would do it right in front of the redcoat and GA. Once on my BP was scanned I would be spiteful and tell that I would be sending in a complaint on their lack knowledge.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06

Goes with the culture of the region. My experiences at LGA/EWR/JFK/BDL are either nothing short of amazing (and remind me why I fly DL) or nothing short of absolutely dreadful (and remind me why I don't live there anymore). Don't take it personally (because its absolutely not personal), don't attribute experiences at northeast airport to the broader DL system (because DL can't control it), don't expect anything from reporting this (because it won't change the culture). I would have just paid the fee and then asked for a refund via the comment/complaint link on DL's website.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:58 pm

Pay the fee, get home early then write in for a refund plus a goodwill gesture of some SM for the aggravation.
ijgordon, jalves and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by The Situation
I would have just paid the fee and then asked for a refund via the comment/complaint link on DL's website.
Completely disagree. Why pay the fee when the GA was probably trying to disincentivize the pax from making the change, probably to get a friend on the flight?

Regardless I think the system automatically waives the fee for GM...but ridiculous to loan Delta money in exchange for incompetence...

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Was in paid J (LAX-JFK) and tried to get on an earlier flight. The gate agent said no seats in J. I looked at the monitor at the gate and it said one J seat available. He said doesn’t see it and even if there was one seat, I would have to pay the fare difference. I said I am a Diamond and J has same day confirmed anyway. He said I was wrong. I called Delta in front of him and they put me on the flight. Was so crazy. He was mad at me. I then made him SDC my colleague who was in coach. He tried the same thing of repricing etc. But then just did it and said fine you both got the last two seats on the plane. Looks like these standbys wont get on. He was so mad he made us walk all the way around the boarding area to the other line rather than just scan our boarding pass and let us board. Oh well. I got home 1.5 hours sooner and followed the rules.
If the GA ever provides resistance, this is usually the reason. A desire to get standbys/friends/fellow employees on the flight, and to "make you pay" if you're going to be the customer to not allow that to happen.
Spiff, RoyalFlush, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Pay the fee, get home early then write in for a refund plus a goodwill gesture of some SM for the aggravation.
I really disagree with paying the fee. So inefficient. Loaning them money and processing a transaction, only to take up CS resources to reverse the charge and open a case and all that...just get a Red Coat or OSM with a brain to waive it right then and there
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How are these idiots, even RED COATS, getting thru the hiring process?!
JakeRobertson212 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I really disagree with paying the fee. So inefficient. Loaning them money and processing a transaction, only to take up CS resources to reverse the charge and open a case and all that...just get a Red Coat or OSM with a brain to waive it right then and there
I actually like this solution as it is actually probably the best way to effect change though. Requires more resources (read: cost to Delta), and refund transactions are likely viewed with more focus/import than random complaints.

In terms of "loaning them money" - that's a bit silly.. you're not loaning them anything. At the most strained, the credit card company is loaning them money - but it's unlikely that money ever even makes it to Delta's bank accounts (which takes several days to weeks) before the charge is reversed.

My biggest complaint with this approach is the further aggravation of having to submit a complaint/refund post hoc, but if you're going to complain anyways, this is a sunk cost.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is exactly the kind of thing I would expect... from AA.

This is not acceptable service and you should definitely report this to DL.

Random side note, about a year and a half ago I was in a similar situation and had the opposite experience. I was non-status flying into JFK from YVR on CX in J. I was on a separate ticket on DL in F to MCO and purposely booked a lengthy connection because of the separate tickets. I was hoping to get on an earlier flight which still had a number of F seats available and asked the SC agent if it would be possible. She was able to confirm me on the earlier flight with no issues and didn't charge a fee or anything. I assumed I would have to pay something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.