Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's With The Upper & Lower Levels in Concourse H (DL) @ MIA?

Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but given that this is "The Delta Concourse" at MIA, it seems like the best place to post, despite not actually being Skymiles related.

I've been flying to South Florida regular since about 2010, and I'd say half of all my flights are in/out of MIA (with the remainder being mostly FLL and a little PBI) and over the years I've noticed the stairs & escalators up and down (to what I believe are technically floors 1 and 2) to be blocked by 'temporary' barricades. And although those barricades are still present, I see that they've actually dry-walled the space directly of the ends of the stairs and escalators, and I've gotta know: What's the story with those two levels? Does DL EVER use them? Were they ever used by anyone?

If anyone knows the history/story behind these, I would really love to know to satisfy my weird interest with any and all things abandoned...

(Two pictures of the area below)

MIA H Concourse Lower Level

MIA H Concourse Upper Level
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:48 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

HMM...I have been flying to MIA since 2010 as well and wondered about these areas also. In for an answer.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by SSF556
HMM...I have been flying to MIA since 2010 as well and wondered about these areas also. In for an answer.
I learned about this a few years back so here goes / I could be way off...

When originally constructed, concourse H did not offer FIS/international arrival capability. The upper level was nothing more than a walkway to the gates further out on the concourse (perhaps with moving walkways) but the rationale for having such a setup always seemed odd to me. With the construction of the south terminal and concourse J (and addition of FIS), a number of the gates on the one side of the concourse (H2/4/6/8/10) were modified to allow international arrivals via the (now sterile) upper level.

I never knew there was a lower level as well! No idea what that could have been used for
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
FWIW, via Wikipedia:

This concourse featured a third floor, the sole purpose of which was to expedite access to the "headhouse" gates at the far end.
The concourse was dramatically renovated from 1994 to 1998, to match the style of the then-new Concourse A. Moving walkways were added to the third floor...
Re the first floor:

However, the H1 Bus Station was never used and has since been permanently closed.
Looks like sheer laziness to not remove the vertical circulation and reuse the space. None of the concourse was int'l arrival capable until the 2000s.

First pic is 1994. Second is 1999.

Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

I’m struggling to find the difference between those two photos... hint?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I’m struggling to find the difference between those two photos... hint?
Looks like concourse was widened significantly along western side including additional gate waiting areas on that side. Eastern side looks to have expanded out a bit as well.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by xliioper
Looks like concourse was widened significantly along western side including additional gate waiting areas on that side. Eastern side looks to have expanded out a bit as well.
The 3rd floor walkway was added as well.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:30 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I have often wondered about this as well and had read the description on Wikipedia but found it lacking, but I guess that's as much as there is to the story. MIA has lots of odd concourse layout design choices (I'm thinking also of the train to the end of concourse E).

Various parts of the airport give the sense that perhaps at some point it had more functionality than it does now (like maybe allowing international transits without clearing US customs, which would have been particularly useful back in the days when Europe-Latin America nonstops were less common than they are now), but apparently that wasn't the case, and that seemingly all of these strange design choices were just to help people avoid walking to the ends of concourses which are actually pretty short walks by modern international airport standards.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:35 am

I think the problem was that the concourse was extremely narrow and had gates - with seemingly no holdroom areas before the mid-90s expansion. I can imagine trying to navigate the concourse with multiple departures boarding at the same time being extremely congested, hence the third floor "expedited access" hallway for the further-out gates.

Of course, a wider concourse with actual holdrooms is preferable, and that's what they built later on,
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Still irrationally enamored with this…. Must. Explore. (And avoid jail time…)

Wish there was ANY info on the basement/Level I

Any plans for these areas? I know I’m digging up an old thread but I flew into MIA for the first time in years and my inner child’s curiosity is up to an 11/10

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.