Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

main cabin fare, not eligible for upgrade?

Old Oct 25, 19, 11:41 am
Original Poster

I am gold with Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and that carries over to some benefits with Delta. Among those benefits is the possibility of an upgrade to comfort+ at the gate when flying main cabin. I was checking on a reservation for an upcoming flight and see that it is marked "not complimentary upgrade eligible" when I log into Delta's website. This is main cabin K fare bucket not basic economy. I called Delta to ask about this and after giving me numerous reasons eventually came back with that it was because I was using my Virgin Atlantic Flying Club #, not my skymiles number. I have a flight coming up next month (also using the VS Flying Club #) and the option to manage upgrades (where you can request to be put on the upgrade list) is still there.
Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone give me some insight? After an hour on the phone with Delta I figured I'd give the rep a break and call back another time.
I'm flying with my husband and son on the same reservation in this instance. My Skymiles status is entry level.
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:51 am

You can only upgrade a single companion and if you have more than one additional person on your reservation, everyone will be listed as non-upgrade eligible (although not really sure if partner elites are even eligible for companion upgrades). You could split the reservation, but given you would only be eligible for upgrades on day of departure anyway, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
I am gold with Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and that carries over to some benefits with Delta. Among those benefits is the possibility of an upgrade to comfort+ at the gate when flying main cabin. I was checking on a reservation for an upcoming flight and see that it is marked "not complimentary upgrade eligible" when I log into Delta's website. This is main cabin K fare bucket not basic economy. I called Delta to ask about this and after giving me numerous reasons eventually came back with that it was because I was using my Virgin Atlantic Flying Club #, not my skymiles number. I have a flight coming up next month (also using the VS Flying Club #) and the option to manage upgrades (where you can request to be put on the upgrade list) is still there.
Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone give me some insight? After an hour on the phone with Delta I figured I'd give the rep a break and call back another time.
I'm flying with my husband and son on the same reservation in this instance. My Skymiles status is entry level.
You have others on the reservation. AFAIK only DL elites get companion upgrades, even then only one companion.
Old Oct 25, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
You can only upgrade a single companion and if you have more than one additional person on your reservation, everyone will be listed as non-upgrade eligible (although not really sure if partner elites are even eligible for companion upgrades). You could split the reservation, but given you would only be eligible for upgrades on day of departure anyway, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You have others on the reservation. AFAIK only DL elites get companion upgrades, even then only one companion.
Thank you both for the clarification! So basically no real advantage over the basic economy fare, except that I got to pick my seat in advance?
Old Oct 25, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Thank you both for the clarification! So basically no real advantage over the basic economy fare, except that I got to pick my seat in advance?
That is correct. Partner elites do not get a complimentary upgrade when travelling with a companion.

But this shall give you access to choose emergency exits without paying for the whole group, compared with booking in BE.
Old Oct 25, 19, 1:17 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There is a very high chance that you and your traveling party will not be sitting together if you choose a BE fare.
Old Oct 25, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Passengers on BE tickets for flights between the US/Canada and Europe must pay a $60 fee for a checked bag, which is free on a main cabin fare.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The error here was to book all three tickets into the same PNR. If separate PNR's, at least one might have flown in C+/F.

BE tickets are also wholly inflexible, no SDC, and retain $0 in value unless involuntarily cancelled.

In sum, there are many differences between BE and all other fares.
Old Oct 26, 19, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The error here was to book all three tickets into the same PNR..
And here I thought that if I booked them all in the same PNR we'd all be eligible based on my "status". Rookie mistake paired with my being to accustomed to flying alone. But good to know for the next time.
Old Oct 26, 19, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
And here I thought that if I booked them all in the same PNR we'd all be eligible based on my "status". Rookie mistake paired with my being to accustomed to flying alone. But good to know for the next time.
You all will get free bags and seat selections based on your status. Upgrades are not a benefit that is inherited by other passengers on same reservation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: