Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ versus Premium Economy to AMS or CDG

Old Oct 25, 19, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE

Flying to Morocco from BOS next year and have options for C+ or PE through AMS or CDG. Thoughts about spending the extra $$ for PE as it is about $800 more over C+

Appreciate any feedback as we have not flown PE before, just C+. Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
C+ means better F&B, including the chicken and pasts D1 main courses. Seats are wider with fewer people across. There's more space and earlier boarding (except for DMs). More MQMs (and of course MQDs).

The question is whether this is worth $800 to you. How many are "WE" and is it $800 per person or $800 for a family of sixteen people?
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
C+ means better F&B, including the chicken and pasts D1 main courses. Seats are wider with fewer people across. There's more space and earlier boarding (except for DMs). More MQMs (and of course MQDs).

The question is whether this is worth $800 to you. How many are "WE" and is it $800 per person or $800 for a family of sixteen people?

MSP is incorrect. C+ is standard economy with more legroom and the same service.

Premium Plus includes what she said.
ijgordon, Tine Rod and jaimemayo like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

You are describing Premium Economy or whatever DL calls it and not C+.
Old Oct 25, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For a flight as short as BOS - AMS/CDG, it's not worth $800 for PS vs. C+. Flight is far too short to sleep and on the daytime return it's relatively short and C+ is comfortable -- especially if you are traveling with a +1 and have a whole row of "2" to yourself on either the 767 or A330 and your AMS/CDG - Morocco will be in standard Euro Y anyway.

You may get an upgrade offer for $200-400 (that's what the TPAC offers can be at times) -- maybe consider it at

Would save the money and spend it in Morocco or for a future flight.

Also if you are PM (as your details show) -- you'll get C+ for free at booking so if you aren't accounting for that in the cost difference there may be even more cost savings there.

Last edited by Duke787; Oct 25, 19 at 10:07 am
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
For a flight as short as BOS - AMS/CDG, it's not worth $800 for PS vs. C+. Flight is far too short to sleep and on the daytime return it's relatively short and C+ is comfortable -- especially if you are traveling with a +1 and have a whole row of "2" to yourself on either the 767 or A330 and your AMS/CDG - Morocco will be in standard Euro Y anyway.

You may get an upgrade offer for $200-400 (that's what the TPAC offers can be at times) -- maybe consider it at

Would save the money and spend it in Morocco or for a future flight.
KLM has some extra legroom seats, do you get those with PS bookings? If not, and it was $800 just to go across the Atlantic, I wouldn't go for it.
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
KLM has some extra legroom seats, do you get those with PS bookings? If not, and it was $800 just to go across the Atlantic, I wouldn't go for it.
If OP is PM (as stated in profile) -- OP would get free extra legroom anyway on the KLM flights -- or could purchase exit row seats for a lot less than $800/person.

"Extra legroom" on KLM/AF intra-Europe basically means you get like 30 inch pitch instead of 29 inch pitch or maybe an exit row with an extra inch beyond that -- nothing worth paying extra for assuming CDG/AMS - Morocco is on a narrowbody
Old Oct 25, 19, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
If OP is PM (as stated in profile) -- OP would get free extra legroom anyway on the KLM flights -- or could purchase exit row seats for a lot less than $800/person.

"Extra legroom" on KLM/AF intra-Europe basically means you get like 30 inch pitch instead of 29 inch pitch or maybe an exit row with an extra inch beyond that -- nothing worth paying extra for assuming CDG/AMS - Morocco is on a narrowbody
Then yeah, I wouldn't pay $800 for PS on that route. It was my experience though that KLM had a noticeable amount of extra legroom - maybe not Delta's C+ pitch but enough more than the normal 30" that I could use the tray table. Seatguru says 33". I'd pick AMS over CDG just for that reason, honestly, although the transit experience in AMS is preferable to me as well.
Old Oct 25, 19, 11:30 am
mhy

Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
If eastbound TATL is overnight I would pay for PE on that leg for better sleep, but stick with C+ on the westbound.
Old Oct 25, 19, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would definitely pay $800 to avoid ~14 hours of back pain (round-trip). My shoulders barely fit in the width of a coach (or C+) seat unless my seatmate is small/slender.
That said, I don't think I'd actually sleep all that much better in PE than Y+; I definitely have a hard time sleeping in domestic first class.
Often1 and jaimemayo like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I've got Premium Economy booked ATL-DTW-AMS in early December. I'm getting the same MQM miles bonus (150%) as Delta One. Paid about $1100/tix.
Old Oct 25, 19, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

It is just two of us. DH can sleep anywhere but it is tough for me. Yes, PM but still wanted some feedback on this.

Also one of the connections through AMS is 1hr 50 mins...will that be enough?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 19, 3:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nikko4me View Post
It is just two of us. DH can sleep anywhere but it is tough for me. Yes, PM but still wanted some feedback on this.

Also one of the connections through AMS is 1hr 50 mins...will that be enough?

Thanks!
In my experience AMS is really efficient at getting you to your connection, so yes 1:50 is good.

My last 2 trips to AMS have been in C+ and have been just fine. My last SE Asia trip was PS out and D1 in. Oddly enough I got more sleep in PS than D1, and the food experience in PS is reminiscent of the D1 “eat and rest” option.
Old Oct 29, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anon2k2 View Post
In my experience AMS is really efficient at getting you to your connection, so yes 1:50 is good.

My last 2 trips to AMS have been in C+ and have been just fine. My last SE Asia trip was PS out and D1 in. Oddly enough I got more sleep in PS than D1, and the food experience in PS is reminiscent of the D1 “eat and rest” option.

Thanks so much! DH was really pushing for the that 1:50 connection.
Old Oct 29, 19, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether it is worth $800 is entirely subjective. Depends what that amount of money means to you. Better seat, better food, somewhat more attentive service, and a more relaxing environment bump up against whether that $800 is needed to prevent your home from being foreclosed vs. it's what you spend on the wine at a small dinner party.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: