DL ticket, KLM upgrade - no bonus MQM?

Old Oct 23, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
DL ticket, KLM upgrade - no bonus MQM?

My better half tagged along with me to Cape Town last month, but their ticket was booked separately than mine. Was able to use a GUC and clear 3 out of 4 legs, the only one not able to clear at time of booking was AMS-CPT. Because they don't have status the agent wasn't able to select a Y seat for them, so they gave me the KLM record locator and and I went on klm.com a few days before the trip to buy a Y seat because Z inventory never opened to clear the GUC. While I was looking at Y seats I got a buy-up offer to J and purchased it.

The flight credited as it would for coach and I submitted a mileage request through dl.com with a screenshot of the boarding pass showing J and asking for the bonus MQM's. Having been over 30-days and not hearing anything I called Customer Care today and the agent said that because I did the upgrade through kl.com and they received the money they don't get any bonus MQM or additional RDM's for upgrade. Is that correct?
Old Oct 23, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
That sounds right to me. In order for DL to give you the bonus MQMs, they'd have to be the ones processing the upgrade and receiving the money. Even though a number of their systems talk back and forth with KLM, the financial systems don't, so they go purely on your transaction with Delta.
Old Oct 23, 19, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reimero View Post
That sounds right to me. In order for DL to give you the bonus MQMs, they'd have to be the ones processing the upgrade and receiving the money. Even though a number of their systems talk back and forth with KLM, the financial systems don't, so they go purely on your transaction with Delta.
I guess that's where I'm confused. They're in a JV so it's revenue neutral, no?

Also, I've bought tickets through KLM and credited back to DL and never had an issue with bonus MQM's even though KLM took my money, not DL.
Old Oct 23, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
The agent stating that you don't get bonus MQM because "KLM got the money, not DL" is making that up. There are published earning charts for KL fare classes (including MQM bonuses) when crediting to Skymiles and those also count when you buy a KL ticket completely independent from DL.

For your situation, if it is not a DOD upgrade at check-in and if it rebooks into a business fare bucket you should get the MQM, but it still depends on how well KL and DL systems communicate (mostly not so well). What does the DL receipt say for class purchased/flown? If DL only sees Y/Y then they won't give a bonus without some intervention from KL verifying the updated fare bucket. In that case, KL twitter or facebook may be able to help push updated information to DL.
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post
The agent stating that you don't get bonus MQM because "KLM got the money, not DL" is making that up. There are published earning charts for KL fare classes (including MQM bonuses) when crediting to Skymiles and those also count when you buy a KL ticket completely independent from DL.

For your situation, if it is not a DOD upgrade at check-in and if it rebooks into a business fare bucket you should get the MQM, but it still depends on how well KL and DL systems communicate (mostly not so well). What does the DL receipt say for class purchased/flown? If DL only sees Y/Y then they won't give a bonus without some intervention from KL verifying the updated fare bucket. In that case, KL twitter or facebook may be able to help push updated information to DL.
The receipt was KLM was very basic. Itís below:

Last edited by JakeRobertson212; Oct 23, 19 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, it looks like a seat in business class was purchased, versus upgrading to business class. This could make a difference. Did the "upgrade" come with other advantages associated with business class such as lounge access (automatic for GM+ and guest anyway on SkyTeam international itinerary), more or heavier free bags, etc.?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 23, 19 at 12:44 pm Reason: correct autocorrect
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
To me, it looks like a seat in business class was purchased, versus updating to business class. This could make a difference. Did the "upgrade" come with other advantages associated with business class such as lounge access (automatic for GM+ and guest anyway on SkyTeam international itinerary), more or heavier free bags, etc.?
Yes, all of that.

The other 3 segments were already upgraded to Business using a DL GUC at time of booking. When I upgraded the one remaining segment (AMS-CPT) on kl.com it generated a KLM ticket number starting with 074, which I blurred out for privacy. Or maybe thatís just for a receipt. We still got full lounge access privileges, baggage privileges etc
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212 View Post
Yes, all of that.

The other 3 segments were already upgraded to Business using a DL GUC at time of booking. When I upgraded the one remaining segment (AMS-CPT) on kl.com it generated a KLM ticket number starting with 074, which I blurred out for privacy. Or maybe thatís just for a receipt. We still got full lounge access privileges, baggage privileges etc
If you have a new ticket number, it probably was an up fare situation rather than paying for the seat assignment. That detail is important here, although normally the receipt should show the fare class (and exact fare code in the fare calculation details).

What happens if you look at the receipt through your DL account?
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

If you have a new ticket number, it probably was an up fare situation rather than paying for the seat assignment. That detail is important here, although normally the receipt should show the fare class (and exact fare code in the fare calculation details).

What happens if you look at the receipt through your DL account?
I donít see a receipt in their DL account. But would I if I purchased the upgrade through KLM?

Last edited by JakeRobertson212; Oct 23, 19 at 2:32 pm
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Yes, all of that.

When I upgraded the one remaining segment (AMS-CPT) on kl.com it generated a KLM ticket number starting with 074, which I blurred out for privacy.
That change (from 006 to 074) has a tendency to mess things up. I had a change like this happen a few months ago due to an equipment swap that included a cabin downgrade at AMS. Our 006 tickets were rebooked as 074 and as a result 2/4 people in our party never received MQM or MQS for the rebooked segments (I didn't pursue it because those travelers wouldn't qualify for status anyway).

If you do not get anywhere with DL on your original request, ask KLM to reprocess the segment to make sure DL gets updated information and then re-request the mileage credit from DL.

Also as MSPeconomist mentioned, check in your delta receipts what far class flown the segment shows as - my guess is you will find it as the original coach fare bucket.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I donít see a receipt in their DL account. But would I if I purchased the upgrade through KLM?

Hereís the boarding pass, which I sent to DL also. I just blurred out name, ticket number and DL FF#
Is it the same ticket number as before upgrade?
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
[QUOTE=JakeRobertson212;31659176]I donít see a receipt in their DL account. But would I if I purchased the upgrade through KLM?

Why wouldn't the receipt be in their Delta account? Didn't you buy the original Y ticket from Delta?

Assuming you purchased the ticket from Delta, it had DL codes with a 006 ticket number. Then you used your GUCs to upgrade 3 of the 4 segments. The ticket was then reissued with KL codes, still on 006 stock. Finally, you purchased an upgrade for the last segment on KLM's website, and they gave you a 074 ticket number.

Can you look up the receipt manually on Delta.com using either the 006 or 074 ticket numbers?

In any event, this is complicated so I'd expect you'd have to escalate this to a supervisor to look into. Assuming you were rebooked into a business fare class when you purchased the upgrade you should be able to get MQM and MQD according to the Delta's partner award chart for KLM.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is it the same ticket number as before upgrade?
Yes, it is.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:20 pm

The receipt was KLM was very basic. Itís below:
This "receipt" looks like a fee for the business class seat and not a refaring. IIRC additional add/collect often has an associated airline "ticket number" even though it's payment for special services and not an actual ticket purchase.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:22 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
This "receipt" looks like a fee for the business class seat and not a refaring. IIRC additional add/collect often has an associated airline "ticket number" even though it's payment for special services and not an actual ticket purchase.
Yes, I believe this is the case. When a EMD is generated it's just an additional collection instead of reissuing a ticket and under normal circmustances this will not result in additional RDM or MQM.

Search this Thread