Diamond on Segments

Old Oct 23, 19, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Diamond on Segments

I live around Savannah GA, which means I connect thru ATL on Delta everywhere I go. Every week is 4 segments, and I typically travel every other week, so each year I end up with around 110-120 segments, putting me well over Platinum status (which is 100 MQS), but many flights short of Diamond (which is 140 MQS). But I have very few MQMs since I'm usually just popping around the South and up the East Coast. But even though these are short flights, I spend a ton of money each year, well over $20k.

So my question is - are there any tips to get to Diamond?

1) I can't do mileage runs bc I have to get there on segments.
2) I can't sign up for one of the premium Delta Amex cards, because their bonuses are in MQMs not MQSs (I wish they would figure out a comparable rate and bonus MQSs too).

Any ideas? Or are frequent flyers in my position just SOL?

Seems a bit backwards that all of these programs reward folks that fly longer distances, whereas I'm spending more money and at a lower cost due to very short flights.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
SDC to routing with more segments and/ot booking flight options with additional segments.
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle
I don't understand all of the details of the new United plan, but it sounds like it may be perfect for someone like you. I know it would be a longer flight from Savannah to Houston or Chicago, but i believe that, under their new plan, you would do very well since they now focus on spend and number of flights(segments). Having said that: in my opinion Delta offers a FAR superior product A-Z vs United, but if top status is your goal, it may be an option.
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, starting next year, UA is giving 1K for 56 segments and $18,000 spend (which seems to now include more than just fares).
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
A buddy of mine feels your pain.

As of mid-August, he had 90 segments, none of which were over 500 miles. He books at least two weeks in advance, which leads to relatively low MQDs.
Old Oct 23, 19, 10:52 am

120 segments @ 500 miles minimum each is 60,000 MQMs. Spend $120,000 on a DL AMEX Reserve card and this is another 60,000 MQMs. Another 5,000 MQMs on vacation and you will be DM. There is no other way to achieve DM on segments as there are no segment shortcuts and segments donít even roll over.
Old Oct 23, 19, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmarucco View Post
Any ideas?

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
SDC to routing with more segments and/ot booking flight options with additional segments.
Unfortunately, and specifically with DL, this is probably going to be your best bet if you can make it work, something I am never able to do. I say that having 119 segments so far this year on Delta alone (not counting the two I just flew on Transavia which I will get zero credit for even on 006 ticket stock).

I wish DL would allow segment rollover. It would make life so much easier for those of us who do not fly long distances all the time.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like I'm not the only one stuck in this position.

Originally Posted by tvtd View Post
I wish DL would allow segment rollover. It would make life so much easier for those of us who do not fly long distances all the time.
Yes, that would be great! And only makes sense?

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
I don't understand all of the details of the new United plan, but it sounds like it may be perfect for someone like you. I know it would be a longer flight from Savannah to Houston or Chicago, but i believe that, under their new plan, you would do very well since they now focus on spend and number of flights(segments). Having said that: in my opinion Delta offers a FAR superior product A-Z vs United, but if top status is your goal, it may be an option.
Agreed. Was 1K on United living in Chicago for a few years. Also got there each year on segments bc 100 segments = 1K at the time. After switching to Delta, even as Platinum, was SOOO much better. Could never go back now.

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
The SDC to find a 3-segment flight isn't a bad idea. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: Yes

I wouldn't count on this working regularly if booking in coach due to original fare class inventory availability requirement for SDC (stand-by travel does not allow for routing changes). Plus many fares only allow a single connection when flying to/from larger stations (or require non-stop if flying to/from hub). Probably easier to just do a segment run or two (you can generally fit 5 or 6 segments in a day trip). Other smaller stations from SAV permit double connects on fares (AVP and PVD are a couple examples).

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 23, 19 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like I'm not the only one stuck in this position.

Yes, that would be great! And only makes sense?

Agreed. Was 1K on United living in Chicago for a few years. Also got there each year on segments bc 100 segments = 1K at the time. After switching to Delta, even as Platinum, was SOOO much better. Could never go back now.

Also in IRROPS the rebookin tool always gives funky 3 segment options when you do a search. Ie SAT-MSP-ORD-ATL or ATL-AUS-MSP-ORD.
Old Oct 24, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
I would agree if the flyer was not based in the SE. While I've been a 1K out of Atlanta (mostly flying to NYC, Chicago, and Europe), the reality is that United is not strong in the Southeast. Not only are you flying out of the way, you've also got pretty restricted flight times. At a minimum you're adding two hours to every flight - and fewer departure options.

It would probably be fine flying up to the Northeast (via IAD/EWR), but trying to get to anywhere in the Southeast from the Southeast on United is a fool's errand.

I mean the practical answer here is that an every other week flying schedule is going to make it tough to be Diamond unless you are able to channel hundreds of thousands through Delta's cards. Even if you're flying mid-cons (e.g., SFO/LAX) out of Atlanta every week you're only going to get 100K miles if only fly every other week.

I think the pragmatic answer here is.. either enjoy Platinum or fly more.
Old Oct 24, 19, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I would agree if the flyer was not based in the SE. While I've been a 1K out of Atlanta (mostly flying to NYC, Chicago, and Europe), the reality is that United is not strong in the Southeast. Not only are you flying out of the way, you've also got pretty restricted flight times. At a minimum you're adding two hours to every flight - and fewer departure options.

It would probably be fine flying up to the Northeast (via IAD/EWR), but trying to get to anywhere in the Southeast from the Southeast on United is a fool's errand.

I mean the practical answer here is that an every other week flying schedule is going to make it tough to be Diamond unless you are able to channel hundreds of thousands through Delta's cards. Even if you're flying mid-cons (e.g., SFO/LAX) out of Atlanta every week you're only going to get 100K miles if only fly every other week.

I think the pragmatic answer here is.. either enjoy Platinum or fly more.
The DL Reserve card now allows 60,000 MQMs on $120,000 of spend effective 1/30/20 for a $550 fee. This is almost half of the 125,000 MQMs DL requires for DM.
Old Oct 24, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Back in the day lots of travelers did multiple RT's from ATL to Savanna and back in one or more days to maximize MQM's or segments. Not sure what the fares are today, but if too high should be easy to find some cheap city pairs and enjoy the ambience of those airports and the short flights.
Old Oct 24, 19, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lovecabo View Post
Back in the day lots of travelers did multiple RT's from ATL to Savanna and back in one or more days to maximize MQM's or segments. Not sure what the fares are today, but if too high should be easy to find some cheap city pairs and enjoy the ambience of those airports and the short flights.
ATL>BNA flights are around $49 in BE on Saturdays booked in advance.
Old Oct 24, 19, 9:01 am

I'll requalify for DM this year on MQM, but if delta had rollover MQS plus gave 150% MQS for Y/B/C/D/I/Z and 200% for J I would hit it via segments first.

Search this Thread