Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have You Delivered Delta's Mishandled Bags? (Crowdsourced Uber like baggage delivery)

Have You Delivered Delta's Mishandled Bags? (Crowdsourced Uber like baggage delivery)

Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not with passenger, but of luggage at the drop off point. They've left on my porch numerous times. They take pic of bag on the porch.
OK - that's better, I suppose, but in the video, they show the pick and the recipient is in it with her bag.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:09 pm

Sometimes.

Originally Posted by josephstern
OK - that's better, I suppose, but in the video, they show the pick and the recipient is in it with her bag.
Depends what the recipient wants. Sometimes the recipient asks for signature, or picture.

I do this service couple times a week. I'm out and about doing errands, and the airport is close to where I am, and I can see on the map where the luggage has to end up. If its near my house, I'll do it. You can always see where you are delivering to before.

I drive a diesel BMW, and if I do a 20$ gig, couple times a week, it pays for my gas for at least a month. Not bad for being paid for going back home towards my house. I've had some really nice Delta customers who were soooo grateful for me getting their late bag(s) to them.

I know my neighorhoods, and I pick and chose which ones I want to go to.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB
The Economist reports: "Nearly half of Delta’s mishandled bags are delivered by travellers who use Roadie’s app to see if suitcases need dropping off along their drive home. The carrier’s head of cargo, Gareth Joyce, says this has cut costs, speeded up deliveries and boosted customer satisfaction. Alaska Airlines, Southwest and United also use Roadie to return lost luggage."

I'm curious whether anyone here has participated, and if so what your experience has been. The same app discusses apps that connect passengers with generous travel allowances to folks who need stuff shipped. If that takes off, I can see that leading to restrictions on the number of bags that airline status-holders can check without charge.
That sounds like a great way to get unknowing fools to transport illicit substances from point a to point b. Good luck convincing TSA and customs to not give you a free trip to jail and a run through the court system
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:39 pm

Did BOS-ATL today 3pm-6pm. Tried to go standby on the Noon but no luck, but my 2 checked bags went on the earlier flight. Delta tracking showed both bags on carousel 6 at 3:15, great, my bags will be waiting for me!

Get to carousel 6 at 6pm and only see one bag. Start to head to the baggage desk and my phone rings. Guy has my bag and is at the Hilton Downtown. Great, I live 1/2 a mile from there. I ask him if he left a bag at the airport, of course he did. I find it, take a cab to the Hilton, and swap bags with him.

I should have charged him $20
Zorak likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by eneq
I was thinking the same as you, but Roadie's website states, "For the safety of our community, each Roadie Driver passes a safety screening that consists of professional third-party background and DMV checks. Once they start delivering Gigs, Drivers must maintain a minimum 4-star rating to continue driving in our community."

Still, I'm sure airline employees go through a much more in-depth hiring process, so I'd trust them more than a driver for Roadie.
I hope you don't think the airline actually employs people that deliver your bag. They are contractors, and the back ground checks are probably just a detailed as Roadie.

hell at most airports in the world every single person that touches your bag, from check in to bag bin, is a contractor.

Out of all of the stations Delta fly's too, Something like 30 of them are staffed below wing by actual Delta employees. Even with that, in a lot of stations, certain aspects of the operation are done by vendor. IIRC most of Delta's bag room operations are contracted out for example.
Then you have stations like Miami that are completely outsourced.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I’ve had mishandled bags delivered to my hotel in the wee hours by Roadie twice this year. I had no idea it was a gig economy service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.