Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International baggage thru check - 6 hours vs 8 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Last month I travelled ANC-SEA-ICN-SIN with a 6 hr 30 min connection in SEA. No issues at all checking bag all the way to SIN. Agent didn’t even question it.

Tonight while dropping my bag for ANC-MSP-ICN-BKK with an 8 hr 45 min connection in MSP, the first agent said it wasn’t possible to check it beyond MSP as it was more than 6 hours connection time.

When I politely pushed back, explaining my trip to SIN last month, she called for a Red Coat. Once the Red Coat arrived she thru checked it with ease. I overheard her tell the agent to modify bag destination and she walked her through it.

My question is this: Was I correct? Or was this a courtesy? My understanding is that a reclaim is required if over 12 hours for international, but am I mistaken? Just trying to learn for the future. Living here in ANC our flight options become rather strange in the winter requiring odd connections.

The app shows it all the way to BKK. Hoping it makes it!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Over 6 it can be short checked, over 12 it must be. (Excluding hub airports were it can be up to 24hrs, like ICN) Agent must select which option.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
We were forced to pick up our bags on DCA-JFK-KEF a few weeks ago. We had a 9 hour connection and I would have preferred to check them all of the way to KEF, but the agent refused because it was longer than 6 hours. I tried looking it up in the CoC, but I couldn’t find it in there anymore. Did they delete it with the new revision?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Schuhfly
We were forced to pick up our bags on DCA-JFK-KEF a few weeks ago. We had a 9 hour connection and I would have preferred to check them all of the way to KEF, but the agent refused because it was longer than 6 hours. I tried looking it up in the CoC, but I couldn’t find it in there anymore. Did they delete it with the new revision?

Not sure about CoC. However it's a 6/12 cutoff. Agent must tell system to check all the way if between 6 and 12 hours.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where are the hubs where bags can be checked through for up to 24 hours? ICN, AMS, and CDG or others too, including USA international gateway hubs too ATL, JFK, DTW, MSP, SEA, plus LAX, PDX, SLC, BOS, RDU, PIT, IND, CVG, MEM? I'm trying to think of all the airports where DL has longhair international flights. (I'm assuming that Canada doesn't count for this even though it is a different country.)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where are the hubs where bags can be checked through for up to 24 hours? ICN, AMS, and CDG or others too, including USA international gateway hubs too ATL, JFK, DTW, MSP, SEA, plus LAX, PDX, SLC, BOS, RDU, PIT, IND, CVG, MEM? I'm trying to think of all the airports where DL has longhair international flights. (I'm assuming that Canada doesn't count for this even though it is a different country.)
Basically any airport outside US/CANADA/CARIBBEAN/MEXICO (excluding MEX) can be up to 24 hours.

Even those with 12hr limit can have bags connecting up to 24hrs. However they'll require an agent to manually override system and add the onward segment. Ie I've had bags spend 15 hours at DTW going RDU-DTW-PVG
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanks for all the good info! Sounds like the first agent who assisted at bag drop did not realize the policy of manually changing bag destination if the connection is more than 6, but less than 12 hours to the final. I’ll know now to rightfully persist if it happens again. Happy to report my bag survived the 8 hours in MSP and was waiting for me at bag claim last night in BKK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.