SDC / SDS with infant in arms?

Old Oct 20, 19, 6:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,080
SDC / SDS with infant in arms?

Have a few flights coming up that are very likely candidates for SDC or SDS. Any issues with flying standby in particular with an infant in arms? I know for example that not all seats are viable with an infant (for example, exit rows are a no go, and on some planes, infants are only allowed in certain seats and/or only one infant is allowed per row due to oxygen masks?)

Has anyone had any issues standing by with an infant in arms on their ticket?
appleguru is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:23 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,706
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
Have a few flights coming up that are very likely candidates for SDC or SDS. Any issues with flying standby in particular with an infant in arms? I know for example that not all seats are viable with an infant (for example, exit rows are a no go, and on some planes, infants are only allowed in certain seats and/or only one infant is allowed per row due to oxygen masks?)

Has anyone had any issues standing by with an infant in arms on their ticket?
Domestic (which is all that SDC applies to) infant in arms dont get tickets. Instead they're added to the reservation. Should be no issue as there's nothing done to ticket.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:30 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,716
I would think that if you're going standby, it's close to departure, and the only remaining seats on the flight cannot accommodate your infant, the GA would go to the next person on the list rather than delay the flight while seats are reshuttled at the last minute. At least it's a risk.....
appleguru likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:32 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,080
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Domestic (which is all that SDC applies to) infant in arms dont get tickets. Instead they're added to the reservation. Should be no issue as there's nothing done to ticket.
Are you sure? Delta's website seems to indicate a ticket is needed:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/children...ravel/overview

And indeed, my email confirmation from a domestic flight shows a ticket number with a $0 fare basis for the infant... something like 0.00VAVSA5IB/IN100 USD0.00END
appleguru is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:33 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,080
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I would think that if you're going standby, it's close to departure, and the only remaining seats on the flight cannot accommodate your infant, the GA would go to the next person on the list rather than delay the flight while seats are reshuttled at the last minute. At least it's a risk.....
But assuming the open seats are OK, or there is enough time to possibly shuffle some people around it'd be no issue? One of these SDS possibilities is a flight later than the one we're confirmed on currently... could be fun

Last edited by appleguru; Oct 20, 19 at 6:39 pm
appleguru is offline  
Old Oct 20, 19, 7:06 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 58
You should be fine. The infant in arms will get a boarding pass (this started about 2 years ago). We never had a problem with SDC. Once, the FA had to reshuffle people because we were on the side of the plane without the extra oxygen mask. It wasn’t a big deal and took 1-2 extra minutes.
appleguru likes this.
Schuhfly is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 611
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
Are you sure? Delta's website seems to indicate a ticket is needed:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/children...ravel/overview

And indeed, my email confirmation from a domestic flight shows a ticket number with a $0 fare basis for the infant... something like 0.00VAVSA5IB/IN100 USD0.00END
It’s a bit confusing. Technically the IIA requires a “e ticket,” but in practice the e-ticket is coded into the ticket of whoever will be holding the child. So it looks to the passenger as though there is only one “ticket.”
appleguru likes this.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 12:09 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,706
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
It’s a bit confusing. Technically the IIA requires a “e ticket,” but in practice the e-ticket is coded into the ticket of whoever will be holding the child. So it looks to the passenger as though there is only one “ticket.”
Is it still only one BP or two? Last time I knew anyone who did this they simply add the child at kiosk and it produced one BP, no additional ticket number listed. International of course produced another ticket and BP.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Oct 21, 19, 12:12 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,716
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
But assuming the open seats are OK, or there is enough time to possibly shuffle some people around it'd be no issue? One of these SDS possibilities is a flight later than the one we're confirmed on currently... could be fun
Are you worried that a GA could charge the SDS/SDC fee for the kid since the baby doesn't have elite status?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 4:58 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 611
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is it still only one BP or two? Last time I knew anyone who did this they simply add the child at kiosk and it produced one BP, no additional ticket number listed. International of course produced another ticket and BP.
it is just one BP. If you have a printed version, on the bottom somewhere there will be a reference to an e-ticket; that is for the IIA. Again, it is just a single document to board.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 5:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 58
For the past two years it has been 2 BP for both international and domestic travel. We travel quite a bit and this has been the case every time with infant in arms.
appleguru likes this.
Schuhfly is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 5:52 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Posts: 611
Originally Posted by Schuhfly View Post
For the past two years it has been 2 BP for both international and domestic travel. We travel quite a bit and this has been the case every time with infant in arms.
Thanks for the correction. I should have added a disclaimer that our son just turned four so it is been a couple years since we did IIA, but it was when he turned around 1.5 that they switched to a single BP; surprised they changed it back so quickly. OTOH, the single BP did cause confusion on the part of TAs and GAs on more than one occasion so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.
Schuhfly likes this.
acrophobia is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 10:00 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,080
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are you worried that a GA could charge the SDS/SDC fee for the kid since the baby doesn't have elite status?
That thought hadn't even crossed my mind... surely they wouldn't? Or would they?!
altabello likes this.
appleguru is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 5:14 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,243
Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
That thought hadn't even crossed my mind... surely they wouldn't? Or would they?!
That actually happened to me last week. I told the agent not to process the SDC when I realized it would cost an extra $75. HUCA for the second agent to drop the lap infant. HUCA for the third agent to process the SDC. Added lap infant back at the airport.
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:24 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,900
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
That actually happened to me last week. I told the agent not to process the SDC when I realized it would cost an extra $75. HUCA for the second agent to drop the lap infant. HUCA for the third agent to process the SDC. Added lap infant back at the airport.
A Diamond Desk agent wanted to charge a DM $75 to SDC the infant-in-arms? That's insane.
altabello and appleguru like this.
btonkid12345 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: