FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Infant in Arms Ticket price? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1992077-infant-arms-ticket-price.html)

FlyingBeanCounter Oct 20, 2019 7:35 am

Infant in Arms Ticket price?

I have a tripped booked next week to India and my daughter may need to go with me. She is 5 months old so she would go infant in arms.

I just called to check on the taxes and surcharge fees and I was told by the diamond desk that it is 10% of the Fare. There is no way that's the case - I thought it was just the taxes? Is this even possibly correct?

Mr. Tickets Oct 20, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 31647702)
I have a tripped booked next week to India and my daughter may need to go with me. She is 5 months old so she would go infant in arms.

I just called to check on the taxes and surcharge fees and I was told by the diamond desk that it is 10% of the Fare. There is no way that's the case - I thought it was just the taxes? Is this even possibly correct?

From delta.com:

International Taxes & Fees—For infants under the age of two and held in the adult's lap, the cost is usually about 10% of the adult fare plus any international taxes and surcharges, which can be significant.

Often1 Oct 20, 2019 8:16 am

Yes, not only possible, but it has been approximately this way for 50+ years. US domestic routes are the exception, not the rule.

FlyingBeanCounter Oct 20, 2019 8:17 am

weird. It would be cheaper to book a coach ticket and just take her on my lap in first class.

MSPeconomist Oct 20, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 31647805)
weird. It would be cheaper to book a coach ticket and just take her on my lap in first class.

You can't do that, although you might be able to downgrade your own ticket to coach.

It's 10% of the fare plus 100% of the fees.

BTW, if you have DL operated longhaul international flights, they're business class and not FC. D1 is not a FC product.

acrophobia Oct 20, 2019 8:57 am

Our son outgrew the infant-in-arms stage a couple years back, but we flew many times with him as an IIA in all classes of service. The only thing I have to add to the correct information posted above is to not delay taking care of this. IME it is 10% of the prevailing ticket price at the time you add IIA, which may be much higher than the ticket price you paid. This was certainly the case when we cleared into D1 at the gate on a GUC from HKG-SEA; the fee was quite high in that instance but we were more than happy to pay it!

Often1 Oct 20, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter (Post 31647805)

You can't do that. Too young to fly as an unaccompanied minor and in order to be accompanied, a parent has to be seated in the same class of service. This will work if you are able to downgrade from D1 to Y.

The advice not to let time pass is important. If all that is left is full fare D1, 10% of that can be a fortune.

appleguru Oct 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Also, from experience: They charge you 10% of the fare for your currently seated cabin. So if you get a complimentary upgrade to C+ for example, make sure you downgrade to normal economy before calling to add the infant in arms to your ticket. Once you do, you can upgrade again without issue. Have never tried with a paid upgrade, but also might work then too?

flyerCO Oct 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by appleguru (Post 31649357)
Also, from experience: They charge you 10% of the fare for your currently seated cabin. So if you get a complimentary upgrade to C+ for example, make sure you downgrade to normal economy before calling to add the infant in arms to your ticket. Once you do, you can upgrade again without issue. Have never tried with a paid upgrade, but also might work then too?

This doesn't work. When you upgrade you have to pay to upgrade infant's ticket also.

appleguru Oct 20, 2019 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31649399)
This doesn't work. When you upgrade you have to pay to upgrade infant's ticket also.

Has worked ok for me (so far?) for complimentary upgrades... IE, called, agent quoted an infant price that was more than 10% of our C- fare. When asked to explain, he indicated it was based on the C+ fare, as that was the cabin we were currently seated in. Asked him to downgrade us, reprice, issue, and then upgrade us again, which he did; new quote was the expected 10% and we ended up back in C+... But good to know it doesn't work for paid upgrades; that makes sense.

acrophobia Oct 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by appleguru (Post 31649436)
Has worked ok for me (so far?) for complimentary upgrades... IE, called, agent quoted an infant price that was more than 10% of our C- fare. When asked to explain, he indicated it was based on the C+ fare, as that was the cabin we were currently seated in. Asked him to downgrade us, reprice, issue, and then upgrade us again, which he did; new quote was the expected 10% and we ended up back in C+... But good to know it doesn't work for paid upgrades; that makes sense.

I think this is YMMV territory. I’ve clearly remember having to pay 10% of the difference between fare class booked and fare class upgraded to at the gate, and also remember it getting a little hairy in terms of how much time it took for them to sort it out.

appleguru Oct 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by acrophobia (Post 31649479)
I think this is YMMV territory. I’ve clearly remember having to pay 10% of the difference between fare class booked and fare class upgraded to at the gate, and also remember it getting a little hairy in terms of how much time it took for them to sort it out.

Was this for comfort+? Or to D1/FC?

You've got me a bit worried for our upcoming flights now (which perhaps are even more complicated because they are award flights and the infant price is based on the non-award rates...)

acrophobia Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by appleguru (Post 31649487)
Was this for comfort+? Or to D1/FC?

You've got me a bit worried for our upcoming flights now (which perhaps are even more complicated because they are award flights and the infant price is based on the non-award rates...)

D1/F; we almost always clear into C+ immediately. Sorry to worry you, but I do find IIA to be one of the more inconsistent aspects of the program. We never argued and always paid what (if anything) was requested because it was worth it to us. Now that we’re three full grown humans from DL’s perspective we just book F/J outright for personal travel.

acrophobia Oct 20, 2019 7:35 pm

I should clarify: this is for international F/D1. There is, I believe, no extra charge for IIA on domestic routes. That slipped my mind because we do international far more often than domestic as a family.