Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by bgriff
I suspect that was just the benchmark aircraft size they used based on historical use of the airport. I'd assume the A321 can generally use the same gates as the 752 and will probably be primarily what we'll see at those gates going forward.

BTW, worth noting that as of a week ago it appeared that demolition has begun on the eastern part of the C terminal, where building will subsequently begin on the new concourse E. I only saw it while taxiing by so not sure what things look like inside the terminal in that area now. I imagine the Terminal C facilities (check-in, security, Sky Club, etc.) will start to be a lot less busy with those gates closed (even though the Terminal D facilities were actually arguably more convenient to the eastern C gates, I don't think most passengers knew that trick). I wonder if Delta will bother to keep both C Sky Clubs open as passenger volumes change.

That said, I feel like I have been on a lot more A321 departures from the western C gates lately than ever seemed to be the case before, so I wonder if they're trying to redistribute the load around the terminals a bit. Or it may just be a result of no longer having dedicated Shuttle gates taking up half of the western C gates.
correct to both. I flew out twice last week from LGA. The lower C gates is strictly hard stand now. You go downstairs and walk to a crj aircraft.

lots of a321s are now out of C38-39 now. My FLL flight almost every morning. Occasionally D
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by scott56
Looking at the proposed gates, interesting to see they used the 752 which delta hasn’t sent to LGA in a long time. Mostly, a321s instead of the 757. It might just be for sizing, but curious if delta has plans to send them back to LGA. Also curious if the gates could handle the 767 as they used to in the past. Bad weather changes ect.
Despite the planning documents, what's relevant is not so much the specific a/c as the ADG (Airplane Design Group) which is based on wingspan and, lesser, tail height.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/faqs/aircraftdesigngroup.pdf
https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corporate-topics/publications/backgrounders/techdata/general-information/Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft-ICAO-ARC-FAA-ADG-App-Cat.pdf

So yes, the 767 (cat IV, like the 757) could theoretically fit at the gates (not sure about the new taxiways) but I doubt we'll be seeing one at LGA any time soon. The a321s (even the XLR) are cat III and can easily fit. I think the gate design choices are more of a hedge for any possible NMA aircraft that DL may own in 10 or 15 years.

---------------

edit to add clarification - it seems that the PA (and occasionally other airport authorities, but mostly the PA) has invented its own airplane group ADG IIIa - that fits 757s with winglets (134.8ft) but not 767s (156.2ft+). 6.7.0
Note: Within the body of this report there is a reference to “ADG IIIa”. The reference to ADG IIIa is not a standard FAA term; however, it is a generally accepted industry reference to B757-200 aircraft which have a minimum wing span of 125 feet, slightly larger than the maximum dimension for ADG III which is 118 feet.
The LGA plans are calling for ADG IIIa gates and taxiways, so it seems we won't be seeing 767s any time soon.6.7.0

Last edited by ekozie; Mar 2, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Originally Posted by ekozie
Despite the planning documents, what's relevant is not so much the specific a/c as the ADG (Airplane Design Group) which is based on wingspan and, lesser, tail height.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/faqs/aircraftdesigngroup.pdf
https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corporate-topics/publications/backgrounders/techdata/general-information/Airbus-Commercial-Aircraft-ICAO-ARC-FAA-ADG-App-Cat.pdf

So yes, the 767 (cat IV, like the 757) could theoretically fit at the gates (not sure about the new taxiways) but I doubt we'll be seeing one at LGA any time soon. The a321s (even the XLR) are cat III and can easily fit. I think the gate design choices are more of a hedge for any possible NMA aircraft that DL may own in 10 or 15 years.

---------------

edit to add clarification - it seems that the PA (and occasionally other airport authorities, but mostly the PA) has invented its own airplane group ADG IIIa - that fits 757s with winglets (134.8ft) but not 767s (156.2ft+). 6.7.0

The LGA plans are calling for ADG IIIa gates and taxiways, so it seems we won't be seeing 767s any time soon.6.7.0
interesting. The only reason I get curious with the 767 is because they used to operate out of LGA, especially during bad weather when several flights were cancelled or large events were going on. If Boeing ever comes out with the NMA, LGA could probably handle it. It might take some
more effort for taxiing. Air Canada every so often sends a 767 down.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by scott56
interesting. The only reason I get curious with the 767 is because they used to operate out of LGA, especially during bad weather when several flights were cancelled or large events were going on. If Boeing ever comes out with the NMA, LGA could probably handle it. It might take some
more effort for taxiing. Air Canada every so often sends a 767 down.
L1011s used to operate to/from LGA
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
L1011s used to operate to/from LGA
Indeed. I remember flying then to Atlanta a number of times.

AA also used to fly the DC-10 out of LGA. In fact that was one of the main design attributes for both aircraft. Ability to fly in and out of LGA.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL D, UA 1k, Mar T
Not the DAL terminal but I'm sure you'll enjoy these as much as I do. I'm not getting on a plane anytime soon but I miss it terribly. Today at LGA Terminal B....

ijgordon, bgriff, N830MH and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! It's so beautiful!!! Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Love the pics thanks
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the last pic just a private pat-down partition or is that some kind of new screening device?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Is the last pic just a private pat-down partition or is that some kind of new screening device?
Yes, this is brand new security technology. No need MMW. You go through security. They won't pat you down anymore. Same at the different airports. LAS, DEN and other airports have it too.
AeRoSpaceman and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
It's a newer MMW scanner that bombards you using fixed scanners in two dimensions at once, rather than using a moving scanner. Back in the day, I saw them at FRA and LCY. Basically the same process, but you don't do the "hands up" pose. I think they're a bit larger than the glass models (maybe so you can roll a wheelchair through?), so they probably only fit newly designed lanes.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
LGA looks so clean in those pictures.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
LGA looks so clean in those pictures.
Hah! Words that likely haven't been said in about 50 years or so.
hotturnip likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
It's a newer MMW scanner that bombards you using fixed scanners in two dimensions at once, rather than using a moving scanner. Back in the day, I saw them at FRA and LCY. Basically the same process, but you don't do the "hands up" pose. I think they're a bit larger than the glass models (maybe so you can roll a wheelchair through?), so they probably only fit newly designed lanes.
No, this is not MMW scanner. It's brand new body scanner. It's different, not exactly same as MMW.

They have get off the wheelchair. They still have go through the scanner.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hah! Words that likely haven't been said in about 50 years or so.
It also actually looks like an airport, not a decrepit bus terminal.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.