Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Delta put out a press release In summer announcing the opening of Concourse G at LGA in October. It’s now October 17th. Does anyone know the exact opening date of the new concourse?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
It's later in the month. The Governor will be coming down for the ribbon cutting too.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm seeing reduced frequencies on many regional routes during the last week of October, 1 less flight per day than the previous week to/from CHO, RIC, SYR, BUF and ORF, with the frequencies returning the following week. Many of these go into the soon-to-be gone remote stands. My guess is that DL reduced loads that week in order to open and phase-in the terminal that week.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will G be connected to DL's existing terminals at LGA? I'm trying to picture where it will be located.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will G be connected to DL's existing terminals at LGA? I'm trying to picture where it will be located.
It's supposed to be connected by walkway (don't know if it will be operational at opening).

Look at the graphic in the header of the LGA airport DL overview page. I believe terminal G is the big building on the right (built against the water) with a walkway connecting into the D gates. According to the page those gates can accommodate up to a 739 -- don't know if that means it can't handle the A321 (which I believe is a bit wider) which would be surprising given how many A321s cycle through LGA these days

https://www.delta.com/en_US/travelin...s/ny-laguardia
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes it will be connected to Terminal D via a temporary walkway bridge.

Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:52 am

... n/a
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like a bit of a trek from check-in to the far end of the concourse. Were they intentionally trying to evoke T4 at JFK?

SkyClub in that concourse? Looks like some kind of Sky Deck at the bend.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Looks like a bit of a trek from check-in to the far end of the concourse. Were they intentionally trying to evoke T4 at JFK?

SkyClub in that concourse? Looks like some kind of Sky Deck at the bend.
Sounds like it -- this from the DL press release:

When complete, the new terminal will feature 37 gates across four concourses connected by a centralized check-in lobby, security checkpoint, and baggage claim; dual taxiways that will help reduce hold outs and taxi times; a new, larger Delta Sky Club with a Sky Deck; larger gate areas and more concessions space; and more efficient airport roadways.
As for the connection point here is what is stated in the press release -- looks like Terminal D will be the entry point for Concourse G flights rather than a net-new Concourse G entry point:

...constructing the temporary pedestrian walkway that will connect the new concourse to Delta's existing Terminal D. The security checkpoint in Terminal D will expand to support both concourses until the centralized check-in lobby opens in late 2021
Full release: https://news.delta.com/coming-view-d...urse-open-fall
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
The SkyClub will be part of the new headhouse, not concourse G. The three existing clubs will be consolidated into one large club.

The new headhouse (and club) is slated for 2021ish, though it looks like everything is already a little behind schedule (shocking!).

Walks at LGA will definitely be getting a whole lot longer, though still not JFK-long. Concourse G will be nothing compared to how far out the new concourse D will be, and some connections look to be treks. Combine the centralized club and longer walks, I don't see the new LGA being quite as relaxed going from club to plane, but this is a small price for a modern facility and better operational capabilities.

Since 739s and a321s have the same wingspan, it looks like every gate will be a321-compatible, at least according to these plans.

source: panynj.gov/about/pdf/Draft-EA-Delta%20Reconfig_LGA_March%202017rev3.pdf

Another view of long walk from headhouse to Concourse D:

(AFAIK, the pictured hotel sticking up and airtrain to nowhere are not yet fully approved).
ijgordon and bgriff like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Oops, accidentally posted a screenshot of the de-icing plan above, below is the plan for all 37 gates. All can still handle a321/739. Looks like operations will take a 7 gate availability hit (19% of all gates) during de-icing conditions.

Overview of new/old terminal. I don't think plans call for any exits/street curbs (and definitely not TSA) near concourses D or E, even though limited real estate means the access road will pass right outside. Essentially, getting to/from concourse D is going to be the equivalent today of walking from the high-C gates (closest to Central Terminal) through the terminal and over the bridge to D.
cptlflyer, bgriff and gt5889a like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's gorgeous and it's interesting that G will only have gates on one side of the concourse; the water gets in the way. I also don't see any further expansion potential.

Six de-icing drive through "carwash type" stations seems like a lot for NYC and not so many (I count 30) gates.

It looks like it will be an even longer walk to the Centurion lounge.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:39 pm

That's gorgeous and it's interesting that G will only have gates on one side of the concourse; the water gets in the way. I also don't see any further expansion potential.

Six de-icing drive through "carwash type" stations seems like a lot for NYC and not so many (I count 30) gates.

It looks like it will be an even longer walk to the Centurion lounge.
The environmental reviews in NY mean that any more infill is at absolute best a pipe dream, so G will stay single-sided. The number of total gates is actually staying the same (37); that the four hardstands are being converted to jetbridge, and every gate will be mainline-capable.

It's possible they won't end up using all six de-ice stations, since a full de-ice op looks like it takes seven gates out of service.

Centurion's new location hasn't been officially announced, but it's widely believed to be post-security in the headhouse of the non-DL terminal (not one of the two bridge-connected concourses). Far walk? Sure (actually not too bad from the D and even E gates compared to the new SkyClub), but a big positive is that now it'll be connected to DL's gates airside, no crazy busses or anything wonky.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

where's the subway stop
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
where's the subway stop
Killed by NIMBY in 2002/3.

The gov's proposing an Airtrain that would go from the airport several miles away from Manhattan and then have poor connecting opportunities for some several billion dollars - a lot longer travel time than today's LGA express bus to a major connecting point.
lost_perspicacity likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.