Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s LGA Concourse and Terminal Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by bgriff
It's really not that much of a walk. It'll still be nothing compared to JFK T4, for example. At the same Google Maps scale, JFK T4 on the left, LGA Delta terminal on the right with new concourse G on the far right. Looks like the walk from the terminal D headhouse out to the last G gate is the equivalent from T4 security to about gate 26, maybe 28. (I also imagine this won't be the permanent home of the shuttle flights; they're just being put there to use the nice new facilities first, and will eventually be moved to some centrally located new gates once those are available.)
Not too far off. Luckily, G Earth has a measure tool. I got 1700 feet from D security to end of G, including the temporary walkway, which puts the distance the same as JFK gates 30 and 31.
quoo likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
To make it worse the SkyClub in D is even further to the left than the TSA Pre/Clear line. I use the Shuttles very frequently so this is kind of a bummer that they're getting sent all the way over to G.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
(I also imagine this won't be the permanent home of the shuttle flights; they're just being put there to use the nice new facilities first, and will eventually be moved to some centrally located new gates once those are available.)
Hmm, I think most shuttle customers would care more about convenience than shiny facilities. I suppose a new/re-opened security checkpoint to the right-side of D would help if going directly to the gate, but as pointed out, that makes the SkyClub even more of a detour (arguably many shuttle pax don't arrive early enough to bother with the lounge). If they do open an additional security checkpoint, I wonder if it will have Precheck or Clear. Or maybe it would be shuttle-only, which would probably keep the lines down to a minimum anyway, and I guess they could do Pre-Check Light (keep shoes/light jackets on, but take laptop out).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler and PM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, I think most shuttle customers would care more about convenience than shiny facilities. I suppose a new/re-opened security checkpoint to the right-side of D would help if going directly to the gate, but as pointed out, that makes the SkyClub even more of a detour (arguably many shuttle pax don't arrive early enough to bother with the lounge). If they do open an additional security checkpoint, I wonder if it will have Precheck or Clear. Or maybe it would be shuttle-only, which would probably keep the lines down to a minimum anyway, and I guess they could do Pre-Check Light (keep shoes/light jackets on, but take laptop out).
As great as it is to have the Shuttle in C near the skyclub I think they are doing this for two reasons. 1) moving the shuttle flights and opening the security checkpoint closest to where cars drop you off will save shuttle commuters time. Right now the traffic with all the construction is miserable and it takes considerable time on the entry roads up to the terminals. The G concourse with shuttle will be the first and closest gates upon arriving at the delta complex right now and that far right security line will likely have clear and pre-check to expedite things. 2) while it lacks a club they can show off their fresh new wing of the terminal to the shuttle crowd/business flyers. They also will likely have some club amenities like coffee, water, papers etc. by the gates here for free.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
With several years of construction starting on terminals D, E & F, I'd happily trade a longer walk for having all my flights go out of G.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AA77WFlyer

Wow! It's so beautiful!! Can't wait to see it!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ajggiant
With several years of construction starting on terminals D, E & F, I'd happily trade a longer walk for having all my flights go out of G.
The next step is that the eastern concourse of terminal C (what will eventually be called the E pier) will be torn down and replaced, so activity at terminal C will go down quite a lot -- and terminal D check-in, security, Sky Club, and baggage claim will all get a lot busier for a few years until the new headhouse opens. Which in itself could arguably be a reason to keep the Shuttle where it is, except for the challenge of there no longer being direct access to the Terminal C departure level road as TOPGUN750 mentioned.

It will also mean some long walks for C-D (or, in future language, D-F/G) connecting passengers, though that will become a permanent feature of the new facility. Or I guess possibly the reinstitution of a C-D shuttle bus, depending on how much of the current eastern-C headhouse facilities they're planning to keep intact during pier E construction.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM

At LGA this morning, signs are up for D92-98 (Not G yet). I was turned away trying to visit, but SkyClub reports ribbon cutting today and it looked close.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ajggiant

At LGA this morning, signs are up for D92-98 (Not G yet). I was turned away trying to visit, but SkyClub reports ribbon cutting today and it looked close.
Yep, Cuomo apparently will be there too for the opening.

Would love to hear reports sooner rather than later!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL D, UA 1k, Mar T
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yep, Cuomo apparently will be there too for the opening.

Would love to hear reports sooner rather than later!
Local cable news covered the opening. Reporter stated that passenger traffic will start next week.

Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
so are they going to wind up just numbering all the gates 1-92? That would be helpful, since currently LGA has duplicate gate numbers (though none for the same airline since the 2016 re-shuffling)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
so are they going to wind up just numbering all the gates 1-92? That would be helpful, since currently LGA has duplicate gate numbers (though none for the same airline since the 2016 re-shuffling)
The entire airport will eventually be numbered sequentially (starting from the Marine Air Terminal, presumably). The new concourse that's already open in the non-Delta section is gates 40-59, so I guess Delta's other new concourses will eventually be gates 60-90 or so. (Also seems like there will be quite a few lower-numbered gates missing since there aren't 39 gates between MAT and the to-be-built concourse B, but maybe they skipped low numbers to avoid confusion with the various sets of pre-existing gates 1-20?)

It's not clear if the concourse/pier letters are actually planned to be used publicly in the final configuration, or if they'll just be for internal use -- the new sections seem to have gates labeled with only a number, not a letter-number combo.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Did anyone see governor goomba at the terminal today?

Is there a firm date for the start of passenger service?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler and PM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Did anyone see governor goomba at the terminal today?

Is there a firm date for the start of passenger service?
Local news reports say next Monday November 4th is the start of passenger service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.