Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM/MQD posting for tickets around Dec 31 /New Year (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

Quick question as I try and figure out an MQM issue. Let's say I fly JFK-LAX on a paid ticket that leaves on 12/29 and returns on 1/2.

How does the MQM get credited for the flight? Since it begins before the new year, do all of the MQM get assigned to my account for 2015? Or, since the actual return flight is flown in 2016, are the outbound MQM credited to my ledger for 2015 and return MQM credited for 2016?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
The 12/29 flights will count towards 2016 (2015 calendar year) status and the 1/2 flight will count towards your 2017 (2016 calendar year) status. If you've flown any revenue flights this year you can check your skymiles posting to see that they break up MQD's for every flight based on cost for that segment.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:00 pm

Medallion qualification is based on travel during the calendar year. Period.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
You'll get ~2500 for 2015 and ~2500 for 2016.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Medallion qualification is based on travel during the calendar year. Period.
Calendar year travel is defined by the time the flight is scheduled to take off. If a flight is scheduled for 12/31/15 11:45 PM and is delayed half an hour, it still counts for this year.

If it's canceled and you get rebooked for next year, you might be able to get ORC.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by sethb
Calendar year travel is defined by the time the flight is scheduled to take off. If a flight is scheduled for 12/31/15 11:45 PM and is delayed half an hour, it still counts for this year.

If it's canceled and you get rebooked for next year, you might be able to get ORC.
+1 OP can be trying to get all his/her travel before end of year for DM qualification or other Medallion qualification?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
Yes, but . . .

MQM's will indeed count in the year in which they were flown, BUT if the OP is above any particular status threshold yet not close enough to the next threshold for the trip to put him over, the miles would actually count toward the next year's status. For example, if he has already passed the 75K mark for PM, but not yet within 2.5K of DM, then all 5K would actually count toward next year's qualification because they roll over.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by hershyork
MQM's will indeed count in the year in which they were flown, BUT if the OP is above any particular status threshold yet not close enough to the next threshold for the trip to put him over, the miles would actually count toward the next year's status. For example, if he has already passed the 75K mark for PM, but not yet within 2.5K of DM, then all 5K would actually count toward next year's qualification because they roll over.
This is true, but only the MQDs earned on or after Jan 1st would count for the next year's status since MQDs do not roll over (and neither to MQSs for that matter).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
once more, with feeling --
MQeverything (Ds, Ms, Ss) calculate on the basis of scheduled departure date
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
Now, what happens if I'm scheduled to depart late on 12/31, but that flight gets canceled and I'm rebooked on a flight leaving 1/1?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Now, what happens if I'm scheduled to depart late on 12/31, but that flight gets canceled and I'm rebooked on a flight leaving 1/1?
This is exactly where I would be reluctant to assume that the MQMs can count for the previous year. You can get ORC and not lose any MQMs due to being rebooked involuntarily on a different carrier or different routing, but I'm not sure that MQMs can be backdated from the date flown to the earlier date that was originally ticketed.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:36 am

Simple

Originally Posted by steveholt
Quick question as I try and figure out an MQM issue. Let's say I fly JFK-LAX on a paid ticket that leaves on 12/29 and returns on 1/2.

How does the MQM get credited for the flight? Since it begins before the new year, do all of the MQM get assigned to my account for 2015? Or, since the actual return flight is flown in 2016, are the outbound MQM credited to my ledger for 2015 and return MQM credited for 2016?
When you fly in 2015 those miles are credited to your 2015 account. When you fly in 2016 those miles are credited to your 2016 account.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:46 am

MQD calculation not based on date flown

Originally Posted by jrl767
MQD are actually prorated for the distance of the flights.

In other words for a ticket that goes from NYC - MSP - SLC in 2015 and a return that goes from SLC - SEA - NYC in 2016, the MQD will be allocated based on the length of the flights, NOT the amount of fare paid for ticket or the appropriate dates.

I have run into significant trouble trying to get the proper crediting due to IROPS that coincided with the end of a calendar year. Be wary of this.

From the Delta FAQs on their website:

The MQDs posted for each segment of your itinerary will be prorated based on distance flown. For example, if you booked a ticket from Orlando (MCO) to Atlanta (ATL) to Boston (BOS), a greater number of MQDs would post after you fly the ATL–BOS segment since the ATL-BOS total distance flown is greater than MCO-ATL distance flown.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
MQD are actually prorated for the distance of the flights.

In other words for a ticket that goes from NYC - MSP - SLC in 2015 and a return that goes from SLC - SEA - NYC in 2016, the MQD will be allocated based on the length of the flights, NOT the amount of fare paid for ticket or the appropriate dates.

I have run into significant trouble trying to get the proper crediting due to IROPS that coincided with the end of a calendar year. Be wary of this.

From the Delta FAQs on their website:

The MQDs posted for each segment of your itinerary will be prorated based on distance flown. For example, if you booked a ticket from Orlando (MCO) to Atlanta (ATL) to Boston (BOS), a greater number of MQDs would post after you fly the ATL–BOS segment since the ATL-BOS total distance flown is greater than MCO-ATL distance flown.
That's the segments of a one-way. I don't think they mean that if a round trip prices in Y one way and X the other, that both segments earn the same MQD.

But I could be wrong.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
When you fly in 2015 those miles are credited to your 2015 account. When you fly in 2016 those miles are credited to your 2016 account.
It's not that simple. For starters, it depends on the flight's *scheduled* *departure* time, not when the flight (or individual miles) are actually flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.