AMS Newbie

Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
AMS Newbie

Hi all,

Looking at a DTW-AMS-GLA flight in early February. I am not familiar with AMS and want to know what to expect. It looks like a mixture of passport checking and security? I would be on one ticket straight through with Delta/KLM in economy with a checked bag. I've got precheck but that wouldn't do squat in AMS. Is 1h25m sufficient to get through whatever I need to get through, or should I opt for a longer layover? Would I need to retrieve bag and get it re-screened? On the return I'd have a 2h5m layover.

PS: The short layover going there is because I'd prefer to try the A350 vs the A330 out of Detroit. Yell at me if I'm wrong...

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No need to clear security (flights from US/CANADA don't need to reclear security). No need to go through passport check as UK is not part of Schengen even now. Thus you'll get off plane and be able to head straight to connecting flight. Coming back depends on agreement that is reached between UK and EU regarding security, as UK will no longer be in EU, it could be subject to needing to reclear security. You however wont need to worry about passport control, as even now flights from UK land at international side as UK is not in Schengen area.
MSPeconomist and ryw like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much flyerCO !
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
1:25 should be more than fine, and KLM will get you there on a later flight or on alternative routing if there is an issue. Worth it ti fly on the new a/c!
griffy208 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
We actually planned it so we had a 5-hour layover in AMS. That was plenty of time to do the pay-storage of our bags (USA does not have this feature), and take the train to downtown. Had a few beers, walked around the sights, and took the train back to AMS and went back thru security and home to the US.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Sounds nice, Porter2112 !
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Porter2112
We actually planned it so we had a 5-hour layover in AMS. That was plenty of time to do the pay-storage of our bags (USA does not have this feature), and take the train to downtown. Had a few beers, walked around the sights, and took the train back to AMS and went back thru security and home to the US.
To me, this sounds like cutting it close with only five hours. You can take the train downtown and have a little stroll but IME not a lot more, and certainly a couple beer would be risky IMO. I'm glad it worked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.