Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Around the World on (mostly) SkyTeam leaving Oct 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum

Pardon my ignorance but are there any threads specifically geared towards Around the World trips via mostly SkyTeam airlines? I just did a search without much success.

I am embarking on a fairly epic 11 day trip to celebrate turning 42 leaving on October 30th/Nov 9th entirely in business. FSD-MSP-SFO-CDG-MLE-BKK-SIN-DPS-CGK-PVG-JFK-MSP returning FSD.

Attempting to get any tips/tricks for the inevitable horrendous jetlag, packing situation, etc.

Airlines and boutique hotels are booked just need a little additional information

Appreciate any advice
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:55 pm

How many actually destinations do you have? Looks like too much to truly enjoy the experience 11 days IMO. Seems like a ton of it will be commute.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tine Rod
How many actually destinations do you have? Looks like too much to truly enjoy the experience 11 days IMO. Seems like a ton of it will be commute.
With 12 flights in 11 days will not need many hotels/checked bags. A small carry-on should be OK.

Route---> Great Circle Mapper
aspenedelen and QDDawg like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tine Rod
Agreed and that is the way my adhd self travels (Wife is a teacher and doesn't fly over six hours).

After 8 hours in Paris I'm off to the brand new Waldorf Maldives for 48 hours in a beachfront pool villa then I'm headed to Bangkok for 24 hours to enjoy the highest rooftop infinity pool currently in Indonesia. After Bangkok I'm off to the famed Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore for 24 hours to enjoy the highest infinity pool on the roof of hotel on this planet. After SIN I'm off to Bali for a 72 hour stay in a 7 bdrm beachfront Villa (don't ask) by myself. Once in Bali I'm climbing the highest mountain in Indonesia just to see the sunrise for my birthday. After Bali it's business class to China then onwards to JFK.
In2ishn and krakendown like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With 12 flights in 11 days will not need many hotels/checked bags. A small carry-on should be OK.

Route---> Great Circle Mapper
Awesome and incredible link, HUGE PROPS!

Every year for my birthday (since I've been who knows how old I've been) I've picked a place on a world map and flown there to enjoy who I've become.

What I've done in my previous years for my Birthday is fly to a single place such as Bora Bora for 48 hours or Cape Town for 24 hours or Zurich for 24 hours then fly home.

I'm not worried about the flights or destinations but it is the packing that boggles my mind. I've got 16 days to figure out how to pack as little as possible but as much as possible. On a side note, I've never done laundry while on vacation so I guess it's about time to enjoy the services of my butler at my suite and villa in the Maldives, Bangkok, Singapore and Bali (which I have never utilized before).
In2ishn likes this.

Last edited by aspenedelen; Oct 11, 2019 at 8:58 pm
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:33 pm

Sounds like all you need to pack is a bathing suit and a pair of hiking shoes.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Awesome and incredible link, HUGE PROPS!

Every year for my birthday (since I've been who knows how old I've been) I've picked a place on a world map and flown there to enjoy who I've become.

What I've done in my previous years for my Birthday is fly to a single place such as Bora Bora for 48 hours or Cape Town for 24 hours or Zurich for 24 hours then fly home.

I'm not worried about the flights or destinations but it is the packing that boggles my mind. I've got 16 days to figure out how to pack as little as possible but as much as possible. On a side note, I've never done laundry while on vacation so I guess it's about time to enjoy the services of my butler at my suite and villa in the Maldives, Bangkok, Singapore and Bali (which I have never utilized before).
If those times are based on schedule departures/arrivals after taking into account hotel check-out, time to airport, flight check-in, security, emigration, wait to board and then time to get off the aircraft, immigration, customs, time to hotel and hotel check-in will not be many hours at your destinations.
To me the difference 6 hours flying and 8-10-12 hours flying does seem to bad.
The 1 - 2 - 3 hours at each flight before/after is a waste.

Hope you have taken into account time/day zone changes
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
My usual advice for jet lag is to simply get on your next destination's time zone as soon as possible. Even a day or two before you leave, try to alter your schedule so you are awake during the proper hours for where you are headed.

In your case you don't have much time at each destination, so it might make some sense to try and do this, but in the end you'll be better off just sleeping as much as possible in-flight so you can at least be awake for the few hours you are in your destination. I guess maybe target the Maldives time zone before you depart, as Paris will be 'awake' most of the night anyway. .
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Sounds like all you need to pack is a bathing suit and a pair of hiking shoes.
Trust me I've thought about just this 😂
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
My usual advice for jet lag is to simply get on your next destination's time zone as soon as possible. Even a day or two before you leave, try to alter your schedule so you are awake during the proper hours for where you are headed.

In your case you don't have much time at each destination, so it might make some sense to try and do this, but in the end you'll be better off just sleeping as much as possible in-flight so you can at least be awake for the few hours you are in your destination. I guess maybe target the Maldives time zone before you depart, as Paris will be 'awake' most of the night anyway. .
Best advice ... sleep whenever you can, especially on the flights.
uanj and In2ishn like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick

CPMaverick, I very much appreciate your advice. Currently in the Maldives it is 7:35pm and here in South Dakota it is 9:35am. In, Singapore, Bali and Shanghai it is 10:35pm so the three hour difference personally one would think is negligible (but what do I know as I've never undertaken a trip like this before).

Using your advice I'll start a few days before I leave to become somewhat accentuated to Maldives time and hope for the best sleeping on the planes as much as possible. I forsee a lot of coffee and espresso in my future.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Sounds like an awesome trip! I'd avoid the espresso (alcohol, sleeping aids, ...) and 'live in the moment'. You'll be so wrecked from the flights and time zone changes that these will only discombobulate you. At the worst, you'll end up with a picture (taken by your personal concierge!) totally wiped at the highest infinity pool in the (modified) world!
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speede racer
Sounds like an awesome trip! I'd avoid the espresso (alcohol, sleeping aids, ...) and 'live in the moment'. You'll be so wrecked from the flights and time zone changes that these will only discombobulate you. At the worst, you'll end up with a picture (taken by your personal concierge!) totally wiped at the highest infinity pool in the (modified) world!
I really like your advice (Live in the Moment) I don't know how many 41 years olds can say they logistically planned this kind of insane trip (within the last two months) to enjoy one's life and turning 42.

My wife thinks I'm crazy but my two young children think daddy is super daddy for booking this trip and all the places he'll go.

This is literally a once and a lifetime trip most people who travel will never complete let alone contemplate.

I do plan on taking lots of selfies from the top of Marina Bay Sands thanks to SkyTeam.

It's all about the moment and I am going to live it to the fullest! I'll sleep on the plane.

You rock Speederacer
In2ishn likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
CPMaverick, I very much appreciate your advice. Currently in the Maldives it is 7:35pm and here in South Dakota it is 9:35am. In, Singapore, Bali and Shanghai it is 10:35pm so the three hour difference personally one would think is negligible (but what do I know as I've never undertaken a trip like this before).

Using your advice I'll start a few days before I leave to become somewhat accentuated to Maldives time and hope for the best sleeping on the planes as much as possible. I forsee a lot of coffee and espresso in my future.
Yes, based on the time difference, you will likely be very tired in the day in the Maldives, find it difficult to wake up, and then have trouble sleeping, the worst kind of jet lag. Of course you have Paris on the way which should help.

My advice would be to start waking up earlier in the days leading up to your trip, and going to bed earlier. I do the same before I travel to the USA from Australia; usually wake up at 3am on my departure date so I find it easier to sleep on the plane when it is bedtime at my destination.
aspenedelen likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:52 pm

I’m having a hard time understanding this , help me out a bit. Is this akin to when I set out to do a century on my mountain bike , and non biking folks (and even avid bikers) look at me like I’m crazy - wondering why I would put myself through that torture. While it is torture the feeling of accomplishment more than makes up for it. Is what you’re doing kinda like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.