Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Around the World on (mostly) SkyTeam leaving Oct 30th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World on (mostly) SkyTeam leaving Oct 30th

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
I’m having a hard time understanding this , help me out a bit. Is this akin to when I set out to do a century on my mountain bike , and non biking folks (and even avid bikers) look at me like I’m crazy - wondering why I would put myself through that torture. While it is torture the feeling of accomplishment more than makes up for it. Is what you’re doing kinda like that?
Most people do not understand why you do what you alluded to or for me to undertake a trip such as what I'm about to partake on. Most people just can't comprehend why we would take so much time out of our lives which gived them zero satisfaction. This is what sets you and I along with fellow FT'rs vrs the rest of the population.

Background on me. I have a eight yr old son and six yr old daughter and wife who doesn't like to fly anything over six hours. Both my kids have traveled to all Fifty States and numerous foreign countries by the time my son turned three and my daughter turned two. When people hear that ive done this with both my kids they either (A) don't believe me or (B) say my kids won't remember any part of their travels at such a young age. Both my kids love traveling to this day. I just returned with my son from a four day completely random and no thought what-so-ever trip to Iceland. We both had a incredible time but the bonding that I was able to experience with my son was absolutely priceless.

To answeryyour question relative to me... It is a sense of accomplishment with a little bit of fortitude thrown in. I know that I'm doing is something that most people on this planet can not do due to time constraints, logistics, family concetns, etc. Im just adhd enough to attempt to pull off it off with a fair sense of aptitude towards traveling.

I'm spending <300k SMs which has paid for 90% of all of the flight segments in 100% Business. All of these flights added up is something north of $30k to spend for the same class seating. I'm spending less than $300 in total taxes which in the end gives me a enormous sense of accomplishment and attainment that only a few can understand.
Tine Rod likes this.

Last edited by aspenedelen; Oct 12, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes, based on the time difference, you will likely be very tired in the day in the Maldives, find it difficult to wake up, and then have trouble sleeping, the worst kind of jet lag. Of course you have Paris on the way which should help.

My advice would be to start waking up earlier in the days leading up to your trip, and going to bed earlier. I do the same before I travel to the USA from Australia; usually wake up at 3am on my departure date so I find it easier to sleep on the plane when it is bedtime at my destination.
I appreciate this knowledge. T-1 week I'll start doing this and the day I leave I have to get up at 3am anyway for the first segment which departs at 5:15am.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Most people do not understand why you do what you alluded to or for me to undertake a trip such as what I'm about to partake on. Most people just can't comprehend why we would take so much time out of our lives which gived them zero satisfaction. This is what sets you and I along with fellow FT'rs vrs the rest of the population.

Background on me. I have a eight yr old son and six yr old daughter and wife who doesn't like to fly anything over six hours. Both my kids have traveled to all Fifty States and numerous foreign countries by the time my son turned three and my daughter turned two. When people hear that ive done this with both my kids they either (A) don't believe me or (B) say my kids won't remember any part of their travels at such a young age. Both my kids love traveling to this day. I just returned with my son from a four day completely random and no thought what-so-ever trip to Iceland. We both had a incredible time but the bonding that I was able to experience with my son was absolutely priceless.

To answeryyour question relative to me... It is a sense of accomplishment with a little bit of fortitude thrown in. I know that I'm doing is something that most people on this planet can not do due to time constraints, logistics, family concetns, etc. Im just adhd enough to attempt to pull off it off with a fair sense of aptitude towards traveling.

I'm spending <300k SMs which has paid for 90% of all of the flight segments in 100% Business. All of these flights added up is something north of $30k to spend for the same class seating. I'm spending less than $300 in total taxes which in the end gives me a enormous sense of accomplishment and attainment that only a few can understand.
Kudos man!
aspenedelen likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Agreed and that is the way my adhd self travels (Wife is a teacher and doesn't fly over six hours).

After 8 hours in Paris I'm off to the brand new Waldorf Maldives for 48 hours in a beachfront pool villa then I'm headed to Bangkok for 24 hours to enjoy the highest rooftop infinity pool currently in Indonesia. After Bangkok I'm off to the famed Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore for 24 hours to enjoy the highest infinity pool on the roof of hotel on this planet. After SIN I'm off to Bali for a 72 hour stay in a 7 bdrm beachfront Villa (don't ask) by myself. Once in Bali I'm climbing the highest mountain in Indonesia just to see the sunrise for my birthday. After Bali it's business class to China then onwards to JFK.
I shudder to think of the carbon emissions generated by a trip like this, especially in business class.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by third_wave
I shudder to think of the carbon emissions generated by a trip like this, especially in business class.
It is unfortunate from a emissions standpoint but as a company owner I invest in carbon offsets that help to mitigate the emissions that my travels incur.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
what is special about a trip like this, vs. all the other plane flights (some on the same routes even) that operate every day? And why "especially" in business class? It's not like the plane knows if you are flying for work or leisure or what cabin you're sitting in and emits more or less CO2 accordingly.

If your thesis was, respectively, that discretionary air travel should be curtailed/eliminated, or that a greater share of emissions is attributable to J/F pax because those cabins are less dense, those might be valid starting points for a debate, but it's not what you said.

All likely OMNI/PR fodder anyway.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
what is special about a trip like this, vs. all the other plane flights (some on the same routes even) that operate every day? And why "especially" in business class? It's not like the plane knows if you are flying for work or leisure or what cabin you're sitting in and emits more or less CO2 accordingly.

If your thesis was, respectively, that discretionary air travel should be curtailed/eliminated, or that a greater share of emissions is attributable to J/F pax because those cabins are less dense, those might be valid starting points for a debate, but it's not what you said.

All likely OMNI/PR fodder anyway.
Specifically, the travel to so many different far-flung destinations for a <24 hour period each as part of a discretionary trip was what triggered my comment.

It is well documented that a greater share of emissions is attributable to J/F pax.

I am not suggesting that all discretionary air travel should be eliminated, or even that J/F travel should be eliminated, just that a trip of this nature is excessively damaging due to the fact that one can easily find a week's worth of very worthwhile travel destinations within the same country, region, or even continent.

But you are correct that this may be outside the scope of this conversation so I will rest my case.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My guess is the planes would all be emitting about the same amount of carbon emissions versus if OP spent the week sitting home on the couch - the amount of extra fuel burned because the OP and his child are on the plane versus the amount of fuel the flights would burn if they weren’t is negligible. My guess is also that the amount of emissions burned on each flight would be the same even if OP spent longer at each destination.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
This is my favorite part! That is an accomplishment, have a great time and happy birthday!
aspenedelen likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I appreciate this knowledge. T-1 week I'll start doing this and the day I leave I have to get up at 3am anyway for the first segment which departs at 5:15am.
Another thing that works for me.

If your clock is a bit out of sync, use a SHORT nap in the day to help build up energy to get you through to local bed time. But do not close your eyes for more than 30 minutes or so else you will make it worse.
aspenedelen likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daloosh
This is my favorite part! That is an accomplishment, have a great time and happy birthday!
Appreciate the huge nod daloosh!!

To be exact, 270K SM's spent and $321 in total taxes for 90% of all flights traversing this planet. Creating this itinerary has seriously made my month and soon to be epic trip
daloosh likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Another thing that works for me.

If your clock is a bit out of sync, use a SHORT nap in the day to help build up energy to get you through to local bed time. But do not close your eyes for more than 30 minutes or so else you will make it worse.
Definitely appreciate this tip exwannabe, Thsnk You!

If you have any others feel free and post away
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

By the way.... If any of you would like to Follow this epic/crazy trip that I have coming up on October 30th I have created a FB blog (mainly for friends and business associates but why not extend the reach) that details literally everything about how I've planned this trip, the flight segments, hotel stays, costs, etc of this insane 11 day tour of this planet.

https://www.facebook.com/EdelenTravels/

I don't know a lot but I do know how to book a fairly epic journey across this planet of ours. A lot of you know a whole lot more than I do so if you have any tips for me I'm seriously open to just about anything.

Last edited by aspenedelen; Oct 13, 2019 at 7:01 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta GM
After SIN I'm off to Bali for a 72 hour stay in a 7 bdrm beachfront Villa (don't ask) by myself.
You can't say "don't ask" and expect FTers to obey 😉

So what's the story here? Haha
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
By the way.... If any of you would like to Follow this epic/crazy trip that I have coming up on October 30th I have created a FB blog (mainly for friends and business associates but why not extend the reach) that details literally everything about how I've planned this trip, the flight segments, hotel stays, costs, etc of this insane 11 day tour of this planet.

I don't know a lot but I do know how to book a fairly epic journey across this planet of ours. A lot of you know a whole lot more than I do so if you have any tips for me I'm seriously open to just about anything.

Do us all a favor and post a Trip Report on FT
added .... just read a couple of your FB posts - you should definitely d othe Trip Report here.
Also, may want to confirm, the pool will be accessible at Marina Bay; if they are booked by the hedge fund they may have the roof may be closed for private party
Also, not to nitpick, but your HH calculation is off, you are getting 1.79 cents per point, not 17.9 cents per point, still way above your valuation

Last edited by MarkCron; Oct 14, 2019 at 8:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.