Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta follow United changes on Medallion Program

Old Oct 11, 19, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,

OK , I am sure most of you know by now, UA has changed the earning requirements fro the Premier program starting with the 2020 year for 2021 status. I think Delta will follow suit. Makes sense to me. What is strange is that UA are leading. Usually it is DL that leads and UA that follows.

New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 11, 19 at 7:34 am Reason: add reference
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM
fine with me, though I am sure many will be outraged
am1108, gooselee and gt5889a like this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 7:45 am

Yes please; I spend a lot on flights but fly a relatively few number of flights/miles...aren't I your best customer?
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I think it will be harder for Delta to follow for the 2021 status year as they have the roll over miles, and Amex waiver (just renewed contract I believe).
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Id be interested to see how they treat large rollover MQM balances if they made a similar transition.
puntamita likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
I’d be interested to see how they treat large rollover MQM balances if they made a similar transition.
Originally Posted by manually View Post
I think it will be harder for Delta to follow for the 2021 status year as they have the roll over miles, and Amex waiver (just renewed contract I believe).

Good points
puntamita likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
I’d be interested to see how they treat large rollover MQM balances if they made a similar transition.
Yes, and I do think rollover MQMs keep people flying (and spending on their credit cards) after qualification - I know it impacts my behavior at the margins.

That said, I fully expect the MQD requirements to rise next year (probably $18K for Diamond).
puntamita likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
I wonder that too. They just announced the new Amex deal/requirements, i don't think they just can "do away" with the Amex waiver so DL has to come up with some kind of solution for card holders. And keep in mind that Diamond already is harder to get then MP 1k status.
puntamita likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:31 am

I would love this type of change. Assuming similar spend requirements I'd hit DM most if not every year rather than generally just sneaking over the line to PM.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Originally Posted by BER Flyer View Post
I wonder that too. They just announced the new Amex deal/requirements, i don't think they just can "do away" with the Amex waiver so DL has to come up with some kind of solution for card holders. And keep in mind that Diamond already is harder to get then MP 1k status.
As I understand the UA change, they allow you to earn up to 3,000 "MQD equivalents" on $72,000 credit card spend (500 PQP per $12,000 CC spend). Between that and DL's current AMEX system there's probably room to work to keep waivers somewhat intact and yet go to fully spend based system.

The one group of (long-neglected) FF this type of system will be an absolute boon for is segment qualifiers.

FWIW, i'd love for DL to make a change like this. The last few years I've been FO with PM spend, and this year scraped myself back to GM but with MQD to easily be DM. MQM have always been the Achilles heel of my travel pattern.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:47 am

What's so special? Southwest already counts flights.

Why would Delta follow?
So what will UA do with "million miler"? I guess it will no longer exist. Just like how they discontinued lifetime lounge access?
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:52 am

I don't see them taking away the MQM qualification option due to rollover and Amex relationship. However, they could simply match UA's requirements with DL's MQD/MQS requirements (probably with higher levels for DM) and add a MQD boost option for AMEX spend (in addition to MQM boost). At those kind of spend levels, I don't think DL will really take a hit by leaving MQM qualification as an option in addition to MQS.
Old Oct 11, 19, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I mean at least the airlines are admitting what matters the most for "loyalty" and its not the amount of times you fly but the money you spend
olegator, GRALISTAIR, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
I mean at least the airlines are admitting what matters the most for "loyalty" and its not the amount of times you fly but the money you spend
How many times you fly can still be a factor. It's how far you fly that they removed as a factor from both mileage earning (a few years ago) and now status earning. It's conceptually similar to WN's program for status earn which also does not use mileage flown as a factor and buying pricier fares will allow you to earn status with fewer flights (due to higher points multipliers). WN does have a flights-only qualification option, but their definition of a "flight" is quite different (each one-way trip counts as a single flight regardless of the number of segments) making it more difficult to earn status on the cheap.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 11, 19 at 9:12 am
Old Oct 11, 19, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Which is exactly as it ought to be.

This would all be a lot easier if they eliminated everything other than a point per dollar spend and perhaps a small multiplier for the very top tiers. Inflating "miles" is what has led to what people here call devaluation. The same number of seats are being chased by more miles so the seats cost more. But, people like to log on and see a huge balance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: