F seats available - but not for sale?

Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mkt80
Follow up question to this thread. I'm on a flight Saturday that shows 2 available FC seats on the upgrade/standby list, which seams to correspond to the 4 available seats shown on the seat map (via dummy booking since my seat map shows all seats blocked). When I called Delta to ask for a price to upgrade for me and my companion, I was told there is only 1 available FC seat left. Anyone know why the other seat would not show up as available for purchase?
The app only shows the number of empty seats, not how many seats are left for sale. It's entirely possible someone has purchased an F seat but doesn't have a seat assigned to them yet.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just curious, I know that it was common in the past that a ticket was purchased and seats were not assigned, especially in economy. However, I have never had a seat unassigned, no matter the booking method (by me through the app or website, through my company Concur or other company portal, through travel agencies such as Amex when trip is paid by someone else, etc). Under which circumstances a seat would not be assigned nowadays?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that many foreigners (or their travel agents) don't bother. It can also be harder to pick a seat online if the flight is a codeshare or was written on a partner's ticket stock.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The app only shows the number of empty seats, not how many seats are left for sale. It's entirely possible someone has purchased an F seat but doesn't have a seat assigned to them yet.
OK this makes sense. In this instance the seat map shows 1 EC seat as available but the app shows 0 remaining seats in EC, so I assumed the app's count took into account unassigned seats but apparently that is not always the case.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that many foreigners (or their travel agents) don't bother. It can also be harder to pick a seat online if the flight is a codeshare or was written on a partner's ticket stock.
Agree that some people won't care and that in the past travel agents didn't bother, however, I was under the impression that DL would assign a seat as soon as the reservation is ticketed.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Agree that some people won't care and that in the past travel agents didn't bother, however, I was under the impression that DL would assign a seat as soon as the reservation is ticketed.
Not if the reservation is originated outside of the Delta system.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:43 pm

I imagine another scenario would be that when upgrades clear they don't always result in a seat selection being made, especially if you opted out of "automatic" seat assignment when your upgrade clears.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I imagine another scenario would be that when upgrades clear they don't always result in a seat selection being made, especially if you opted out of "automatic" seat assignment when your upgrade clears.
Isn't it always better to have a seat assignment and then change it than not to have an assigned seat on the flight?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Back to OPs topic, DL inventory has on rare occasions done very odd things for me regarding not showing any seats for sale on a clearly-not-sold-out flight.

An example, look at DEN-ATL for this Sunday (2/28). Three of the six direct flights show "sold out" in coach. They are most certainly NOT sold out if you look at the seat map. The "seats remaining" in the app for one of those flights which I'm on shows 75 seats available. But DL hasn't released any inventory for sale. It's been this way with this specific day/flight for two weeks now. This isn't my first experience with this phenomenon, but it usually resolves in a day. Not here.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Back to OPs topic, DL inventory has on rare occasions done very odd things for me regarding not showing any seats for sale on a clearly-not-sold-out flight.

An example, look at DEN-ATL for this Sunday (2/28). Three of the six direct flights show "sold out" in coach. They are most certainly NOT sold out if you look at the seat map. The "seats remaining" in the app for one of those flights which I'm on shows 75 seats available. But DL hasn't released any inventory for sale. It's been this way with this specific day/flight for two weeks now. This isn't my first experience with this phenomenon, but it usually resolves in a day. Not here.
DL could be selling a lot of BE tickets. Their "seats" should show as available seats on the app even though you can't yet see their "names" on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 1:31 pm

DL could be selling a lot of BE tickets. Their "seats" should show as available seats on the app even though you can't yet see their "names" on the upgrade list.
I think it is absurdly implausible that DL has sold 75 BE tickets on three separate flights on the same day on planes which, while capacity limited during the pandemic, have ~140 seats for sale. Also, each day for the past two weeks the flights showing as "sold out" have changed (which is how I was ultimately able to buy my preferred flight).
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:55 pm

Isn't it always better to have a seat assignment and then change it than not to have an assigned seat on the flight?
I completely agree with you. I never understood why Delta offered this option.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
BE passengers appear on the "Standby" list, right?

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I think it is absurdly implausible that DL has sold 75 BE tickets on three separate flights on the same day on planes which, while capacity limited during the pandemic, have ~140 seats for sale. Also, each day for the past two weeks the flights showing as "sold out" have changed (which is how I was ultimately able to buy my preferred flight).
Why is it so implausible? DL is charging a hefty premium for main cabin right now, and even BE passengers benefit from the blocked middle seat. If you're not an elite customer, why bother with the upcharge right now?

As far as flight availability shfiting dramatically day to day, predictions about demand are not always easy, and there are glitches (or imperfect programming) that occur from time to time as well.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Why is it so implausible? DL is charging a hefty premium for main cabin right now, and even BE passengers benefit from the blocked middle seat. If you're not an elite customer, why bother with the upcharge right now?

As far as flight availability shfiting dramatically day to day, predictions about demand are not always easy, and there are glitches (or imperfect programming) that occur from time to time as well.
They only show once checked in.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

In the end 14 people cleared off standby into "basic economy" and the flight went out with 33 empty seats (per standby list on app). Was nowhere near full (based on just looking at open seats). Always felt like a programming/RM bug to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.