Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the point of Premium Select if you can book Delta One?

What's the point of Premium Select if you can book Delta One?

Old Oct 9, 19, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL AMEX Plat
Question What's the point of Premium Select if you can book Delta One?

Question. I'm looking at JFK-BRU next February and see the direct flight is on a refurbished 767-400 planes with Delta One, Premium Select, Comfort Plus and Main Cabin classes. I wonder though what the point is of booking a Premium Select seat for about $4K round trip when you can be in a Delta One flat bed seat for about $5.2K? I mean, if you are willing to shell out $4K for a ticket, then it wouldn't be so hard any more to pay only an extra $1K for much more comfort? And that would go for business as well as leisure travelers.

Speaking for myself, for international leisure trips I don't want to spend too much money so I would book a main cabin fare, hoping to upgrade to C+ (and the rare op-up to D1). And for work I can book straight D1.

I really fail to see the point of having PS on a plane that also has D1. What am I missing? Delta really thinks otherwise I guess, otherwise they wouldn't have added PS. They know how to make money.

Note that I'm not talking about planes that have PS but no D1. If PS is the highest class there will be people booking that.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
All planes with PS also have D1.

Unlike your situation, many corporate flyers cannot book D1 for relatively short international flights like this, but they would be allowed to book a premium economy product like PS.

>$1000 isn't nothing and I'm sure many people (and companies) might prefer to save >25% while still having a reasonably comfortable experience (especially on a flight of less than 4000 miles).

If D1 pricing is close to PS, that probably means that Delta wants to encourage people to spend that extra $$ because PS is fairly full and/or D1 is fairly empty. Just because you see that pricing in one instance doesn't mean it is normal or widespread.

The 'I am looking at one particular flight & date and wish to apply that to the entire worldwide product' scenario just doesn't work in the airline industry.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Even people with money dont like to depart with it. Also lots of business passengers dont get J cabin for anything going to/from Europe.

However with that said PS is normally only that price at full fare for PS. If this is far in advance, they've likely not decided on inventory/pricing for PS. They might also want to hedge their bets in case they can't get enough 764s into service.
boss315 and gooselee like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:56 pm

Programs: Yes
PS fare filings are relatively new on this route. It might take some time to get the fares right as they guage demand. There's currently Z fares from $2097 roundtrip on this route while the cheapest G fares are $2660 roundtrip. There are some dates where you can get the $2097 Z fare and the cheapest PS fare available is in the $4K region. PS flights don't actually begin until late March.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
All planes with PS also have D1.

Unlike your situation, many corporate flyers cannot book D1 for relatively short international flights like this, but they would be allowed to book a premium economy product like PS.

>$1000 isn't nothing and I'm sure many people (and companies) might prefer to save >25% while still having a reasonably comfortable experience (especially on a flight of less than 4000 miles).

If D1 pricing is close to PS, that probably means that Delta wants to encourage people to spend that extra $$ because PS is fairly full and/or D1 is fairly empty. Just because you see that pricing in one instance doesn't mean it is normal or widespread.

The 'I am looking at one particular flight & date and wish to apply that to the entire worldwide product' scenario just doesn't work in the airline industry.
I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K? And for the particular flights I'm looking at the whole plane is empty still (hardly any seats assigned). So it's not the case that PS is getting full and D1 is empty. I think the D1 price that far out is reasonable, but PS is not.

But I take the point that I'm just looking at one set of flights as opposite to comparing all flights with a D1 and PS product. Also I thought there were planes where PS is the highest class, but checking SeatGuru I'm wrong on that as well. If there is PS there is also D1. Then again I thought the premium economy product was C+? Most planes with PS also have C+ (but not all).

Anyway, hoping for more opinions.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by robert4travels View Post
I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K? And for the particular flights I'm looking at the whole plane is empty still (hardly any seats assigned). So it's not the case that PS is getting full and D1 is empty. I think the D1 price that far out is reasonable, but PS is not.

But I take the point that I'm just looking at one set of flights as opposite to comparing all flights with a D1 and PS product. Also I thought there were planes where PS is the highest class, but checking SeatGuru I'm wrong on that as well. If there is PS there is also D1. Then again I thought the premium economy product was C+? Most planes with PS also have C+ (but not all).

There are a few routes operated by domestic configured 757s where the domestic F cabin is called PS and is the highest class of service.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K? ...
it’s not the raw number so much as it’s “Business Class”; many corporate travel policies are structured by the name of the cabin as to what’s allowable or reimbursable ... and in many cases (especially where Govt contracts are involved) it’s the optics of the nomenclature
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K?
Then we canít help you.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Because thatís $1,200 less profit for the owners or able to be spent on pay and benefits or on the new coffee machine or printer or scanner or copier that everyone in the office has been hankering for or less money in the travel budget so your next trip has to be in economy instead of premium or even cancelled.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Not to sound flippant, but as a business owner why would I want to routinely pay $1K more on a ticket when I can put that money towards activities that have a higher ROI or distribute bonuses? I'm always looking for ways to reduce my expenses.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: Yes
A more interesting example. I noticed that Google Flights automatically switches you to the lower D1 fare when you specify Premium Economy flights.

altabello likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 19 at 8:44 am
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:08 pm

Um... tldr but regarding OP . PS is less money. Not everyone is rolling with a topless budget. Itís a better experience over economy and c+ period. Whatís the point of this post?
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you believe that a business owner doesn't care about the difference between $4000 and $5200 when they spend their money... well all I can say is you must not be a business owner.

It's a 7 hour flight; most people would be completely comfortable in PS and that $$ could be better spent even if it is still spent on the employee.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Oct 9, 19 at 9:36 pm
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

Based on my experience, that is an exceptionally high price for PE. I have booked through Delta at least a dozen flights in PE, mostly on VS, occasionally on AF (but was always able to get either a mileage upgrade award or an inexpensive cash upgrade, so haven’t actually flown in AF PE), and once last year on Delta RT MSP-HND, and never paid more than $1700. The HND itinerary was under $1500 RT.

C+ is not the premium economy product. It is an economy seat with a little more legroom and a bit more recline on international flights. PE is more like domestic first class. The seat is more comfortable, with more recline and a footrest.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Oct 9, 19 at 11:43 pm
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Question. I'm looking at JFK-BRU next February and see the direct flight is on a refurbished 767-400 planes with Delta One, Premium Select, Comfort Plus and Main Cabin classes. I wonder though what the point is of booking a Premium Select seat for about $4K round trip when you can be in a Delta One flat bed seat for about $5.2K? I mean, if you are willing to shell out $4K for a ticket, then it wouldn't be so hard any more to pay only an extra $1K for much more comfort?
It isn't $1k more, its $1200 more. I applaud you for finding that much money insignificant because I could probably book 4-6 nights of a decent hotel in Brussels for that money. For folks traveling as a couple, it's a $2400 jump for the pair of seats.

The better question is why PS and D1 are so overpriced (especially D1 on a 767, which is the worst even if retrofitted it still is narrow). Maybe the dates are full or you're flying from a captive city? I typically fly business class for $3000 - $3500 /pp, using positioning flights, flexible dates, and OTAs deals when available. And when I do that, I have friends asking why I'd spend so much when economy is 1/2 that price. So we all have a value in our heads.

Search this Thread