Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the point of Premium Select if you can book Delta One?

What's the point of Premium Select if you can book Delta One?

Old Oct 9, 19, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
I still think they are feeling their way with PE pricing. For one thing, it simply isn't widespread enough for non-FT people to look for it.

Not sure this is any different than a domestic discount F fare being less than a coach Y/B/M fare.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Tine Rod View Post
Um... tldr but regarding OP . PS is less money. Not everyone is rolling with a topless budget. Itís a better experience over economy and c+ period. Whatís the point of this post?
That in this specific case (JFK-BRU 2/14, BRU-JFK 2/25) the price difference between C+ and PS is very large, while between PS and D1 it's small. And I was wondering if that is the case in general for PS fares, and if yes, if it would make sense to book such a PS fare, and what the economics are for Delta.

IMHO: no. And I'm not a business owner but at that price I would just stick it out in Y and save much more money for my business. Which I do when flying on my own dime.

Points taken for businesses that don't allow to fly J (I'm truly lucky I'm not working for such a business), that this PS fare might be to try out price points and the market (compared to Z and G fares) and might still change down the road, that this fare might actually be the PS full fare and lower fares still need to be set for PS (proof can be that in April the PS fare is higher than the D1 fare, as shown by xliioper) and that a lot of PS fares / PE class tickets are priced a lot lower than J. That are answers I was looking for, thanks for that.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:58 pm

PE isnít always that expensive. On routes to Asia, PE is often $300-500 more than econ, vs $4000-8000 D1 tickets.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:05 pm

I can book PVG-LAX RT for about $800 in PS or $5000 in Biz. There is definitely a point. Not everyoneís travel situation is the same.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by robert4travels View Post
I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K? And for the particular flights I'm looking at the whole plane is empty still (hardly any seats assigned). So it's not the case that PS is getting full and D1 is empty. I think the D1 price that far out is reasonable, but PS is not.

But I take the point that I'm just looking at one set of flights as opposite to comparing all flights with a D1 and PS product. Also I thought there were planes where PS is the highest class, but checking SeatGuru I'm wrong on that as well. If there is PS there is also D1. Then again I thought the premium economy product was C+? Most planes with PS also have C+ (but not all).

Anyway, hoping for more opinions.
There are a surprising number of policies which attach to the cabin and not the price. For example, State Department policies restrict booking into Business Class for flights under a given trip time.

Edit: And as someone else noted, PS seems to definitely be overpriced by comparison.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
There are a surprising number of policies which attach to the cabin and not the price. For example, State Department policies restrict booking into Business Class for flights under a given trip time. ...
... as mentioned in Post # 7 above ...
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Even people with money dont like to depart with it.
Yes, and those people do not book PS. They book the cheapest fare, period.
Old Oct 10, 19, 1:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
It's super weird. Especially because they serve bread in PS but brioche in D1.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:15 am

I still fail to see that a company will allow $4K but not $5.2K? And for the particular flights I'm looking at the whole plane is empty still (hardly any seats assigned). So it's not the case that PS is getting full and D1 is empty. I think the D1 price that far out is reasonable, but PS is not.

But I take the point that I'm just looking at one set of flights as opposite to comparing all flights with a D1 and PS product. Also I thought there were planes where PS is the highest class, but checking SeatGuru I'm wrong on that as well. If there is PS there is also D1. Then again I thought the premium economy product was C+? Most planes with PS also have C+ (but not all).

I don't understand how you cannot understand that a 20% price differential is meaningful.
CPMaverick and Beltway2A like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

If you "fail to see" then you simply do not understand how business operates in a competetive environment.

Perhaps $1,200 is nothing to you, but I can assure you that it is a lot of money to the CFO of any significant operating business and those large customers are the ones which support international premium class travel.

This is not to suggest that your personal situation is not different. If you are offered a seat in PS for $4,000 and D1 for $5,200 for a short-hop over the Atlantic and believe that there is better value in the D1 seat, then you should absolutely purchase it,. It is your money. The issue arises when it is not your money, but someone else's. They ten have a say in the issue.

That is, after all, why there is a market for 4 different classes of service on the same aircraft traveling between the same two places at the same time.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I see you've never worked at a company where Economy for $5k is no problem, but Business for $4k would get you fired

Most corporate travel policies (at large companies especially) are adversarial and rarely make sense for every specific case.
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); AS MVP Gold; DL Plat
Then you ainít worked for my employers, past and present!
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look, nobody's going to argue that on a relative value basis, the $5k business fare is not a better deal than the $4k PE fare. Some leisure travelers will take that into consideration and spend the extra $1k. Some will not. Some business travelers may have the flexibility to do that, many will not.

But the other important point, which I think has been addressed, is that this fare structure is not very typical, especially for advance purchase fares. Someone pointed out that the lower inventory classes don't even have PE fares filed (yet) on this route.

At the end of the day, DL's goal is to maximize revenues, and the fare differentials between Y-C+-PE-J (vis-a-vis the product offered) are one important driver of that, but those differentials can be quite different for far-out advance purchase/Sat night stay fares, and close-in mid-week fares.
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
When company's travelling poilcy requires westbound day-time flight to be booked highest Premium Economy or similar, you will have no choice but to pick PS / PE. Even J is less expensive than PS, we cannot is we cannot...
Old Oct 10, 19, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
Yeah, it seems OP has found an anomalously high PS fare. On all of my upcoming travel economy was around $1500, PS was $1800, and D1 was around $3800. On that basis, I went with PS.

Search this Thread