D1 “Sale” PHL-LON - sigh....

Old Oct 9, 19, 6:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,865
D1 “Sale” PHL-LON - sigh....

Just got an email from delta about a special “flash” sale on D1 to enjoy “luxury to LON, CDG, and AMS this winter”.

Apparently, Delta is of the opinion that over $5K and a connection in DTW or ATL constitutes a “sale”

oh Brave New World
boss315 likes this.
jimrpa is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,968
I was equally unimpressed by the "Deals" advertised ex-ATL.

Yay, MUC for just over $3k. That's literally just the normal advance purchase Z fare on that route.
boss315 likes this.
gooselee is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MKE
Programs: DL DM, 1.907 MM; HH Diamond
Posts: 645
I got MKE to various cities (CDG/MUC/AMS/LHR) for between $3200 and $3900.

Gonna wait until the next 98K D1 deal - probably won't see that one again.
TommyD2 is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 783
There's some heavily seasonal ZL3XU6D2 fares from various cities that are pretty cheap (these don't look to be part of the fare sale). There's a 60-day advance purchase requirement, so time is running out on early December dates. Some examples -

PHL-CDG - $1982 roundtrip
PHL-AMS - $1907 roundtrip
PHL-FCO - $2212 roundtrip
MKE-LHR - $2281 roundtrip
MKE-PRG - $2178 roundtrip

Day/time application
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED TUE THROUGH FRI ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED SUN THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Seasonality
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED 09DEC 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 03JAN 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED 09DEC 19 THROUGH 14DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 27DEC 19 OR 08JAN 20 THROUGH 10JAN 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Min Stay
TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND OR - TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.


There are also similarly priced ZK3XU6D2 fares which have availability in early April and late-July to mid-August if you are looking for times with better weather --

Seasonality
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED 13DEC 19 THROUGH 16DEC 19 OR 06APR 20 THROUGH 08APR 20 OR 11APR 20 THROUGH 16APR 20 OR 19JUL 20 THROUGH 18AUG 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED 15DEC 19 THROUGH 23DEC 19 OR 07APR 20 THROUGH 18APR 20 OR 21AUG 20 THROUGH 03SEP 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 9, 19 at 7:48 pm
xliioper is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:28 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,618
DL published sales are generally a waste of time.
fotographer and IndyHoosier like this.
steveholt is offline  
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PNS
Programs: DL GM, UA, AA
Posts: 217
My offer from PNS to either CDG/AMS/LHR were from over $4050 to $4600
AeRoSpaceman is online now  
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:21 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Posts: 272
$4k STL-AMS in January. What a steal!

The funny thing is when I followed the link in the email, DL.dumb search automatically picked a week in January but with flexible dates. The pricing calendar was showing fares of ~$3,000 for date combinations that DL.dumb did not pick. Apparently DL is not informed about how to advertise a sale .
woodenshoe101 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,876
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Day/time application
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED TUE THROUGH FRI ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED SUN THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Seasonality
OUTBOUND - PERMITTED 09DEC 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 03JAN 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR. INBOUND - PERMITTED 09DEC 19 THROUGH 14DEC 19 OR 24DEC 19 THROUGH 27DEC 19 OR 08JAN 20 THROUGH 10JAN 20 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Min Stay
TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND OR - TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
That's not even.. possible without staying through 24-Dec-19, is it? I hate the fares which pick and choose two days here and there for seasonality.
findark is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNS
Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Posts: 1,302
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman View Post
My offer from PNS to either CDG/AMS/LHR were from over $4050 to $4600
Try VPS.

We booked VPS-ATL-LHR inside of a 60-day window for Thanksgiving (main cabin) for under $750 pp for 5 folks.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
aww3583 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by findark View Post
That's not even.. possible without staying through 24-Dec-19, is it? I hate the fares which pick and choose two days here and there for seasonality.
There's also the ZK3XU6D2 fare (listed further down) which is sort of a companion and allows inbound 12/15 - 12/23. So you can depart 12/09 - 12/12 and return 12/15 - 12/23 and still get a good deal.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 19 at 7:56 am
xliioper is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:45 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Try VPS.

We booked VPS-ATL-LHR inside of a 60-day window for Thanksgiving (main cabin) for under $750 pp for 5 folks.
There are good D1 deals from PNS to LHR (the ZK3XU6D2 and ZL3XU6D2 fares), you just have to meet their seasonality and min stay requirements.


AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 10, 19 at 8:01 am
xliioper is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Just got an email from delta about a special “flash” sale on D1 to enjoy “luxury to LON, CDG, and AMS this winter”.

Apparently, Delta is of the opinion that over $5K and a connection in DTW or ATL constitutes a “sale”

oh Brave New World
I guess I shouldn't complain that mine are just over $4k then! Not sure how this counts as a "sale" when I could buy business on many other quality carriers on those dates for just over half that cost.

Zeeb is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 8:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Tahoe
Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Plat.
Posts: 246
Didn't see the email about the flash sale, but it took me less than 5 minutes to find multiple PHL-LHR round trip 1 week itineraries under $2.5K. Holidays are pretty cheap obviously due to the low business travel demand. Otherwise, lots of options from April onward it seems.
TuxTom is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 9:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Posts: 449
Interesting - this is a very targeted advertising. I got one from JFK and saw some Z fares in the $2,xxx range, which are very good deals, knowing some of them end up at $8k later.
Even more interesting; when I got it this morning on my phone the email had a BRU fare for $2,100 but now the email on my laptop no longer has that fare. So the email is dynamic. Double checked and on my phone i still had a tab open with the NYC-BRU fares, so not going mental here.

I think this is quite a solid campaign but it's probably selling very fast?
mayhem is offline  
Old Oct 10, 19, 9:35 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver
Posts: 1,431
With few exceptions, Delta is by far the most overpriced of any US carrier for the premium cabins. I frequently get "flash sale" announcements from Tampa that are more expensive than the normal advance purchase fares. I hardly consider a $4k+ fare to Europe any deal considering you can routinely fly to Asia on a DL partner for between $1,500 and $2k. Roughly twice the distance at half the price.
divrdrew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread