Search

Earning Status on AF Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Question Earning Status on AF Ticket Help

Hi, tried looking on delta.com, but I couldn't see anything about minimum earnings on Air France.

Itinerary and booking classes are:
  • LHR-CDG (J)
  • CDG-SFO (F)
  • SFO-CDG (F)
  • CDG-LHR (J)
Ticket cost: ~$US 5,500 all in. Purchased through Amex Travel, ticketed on AF stock with AF ticket number.

I think the long-hauls will be 5,583 miles X 200% each, for 22,333 MQM. Is this correct?

Will the J class short-hauls be 1,000 each which is the 500 minimum X 200%, for 2,000 MQM total?

That would be 24,333 MQM total, right?

Lastly, how will the MQD be done? The $5,500 X 60% = 3,300 MQD? Do they include any taxes and fees in that? Will the calculate the short-haul segments separately at 40%, even though this is one ticket booked on "F" fare basis?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-BlooJoo
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MQD's are calculated based on percentage of distance, not ticket cost. Multiply the base distance by 40% on J class flights and 60% on F class flights. It is the actual booking class on the flights that matters (not the fare basis code). Booking class will often differ from fare basis code.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 9, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
MQD's are calculated based on percentage of distance, not ticket cost. Multiply the base distance by 40% on J class flights and 60% on F class flights. It is the actual booking class on the flights that matters (not the fare basis code). Booking class will often differ from fare basis code.
OK thanks! Is there a 500 mile minimum on the LHR-CDG "distances" for calculating MQD?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
OK thanks! Is there a 500 mile minimum on the LHR-CDG "distances" for calculating MQD?
I'm not sure about the MQD calculation. The partner earning page on delta.com for AF does mention a 500 MQM minimum in the footnotes.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
I'm not sure about the MQD calculation. The partner earning page on delta.com for AF does mention a 500 MQM minimum in the footnotes.
Thanks!

So by my math, assuming no 500 minimum for the short-hauls, it's 6,872 MQD for this ticket! Enough for Gold! Does that sound right?

Anyone know about my mileage question, if the 500 minimum MQM for the short-hauls is doubled b/c of J class?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:19 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Thanks!
Anyone know about my mileage question, if the 500 minimum MQM for the short-hauls is doubled b/c of J class?
I had a DL-ticketed, AF/Hop-operated CDG-ZRH segment on a Premium Class ticket, and it earned 150% MQM for 750 total MQM, so presumably you should earn 200% MQM.
Fare class printed on boarding pass was Y/Economy, the overseas flight was W/Premium Economy.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zmb
I had a DL-ticketed, AF/Hop-operated CDG-ZRH segment on a Premium Class ticket, and it earned 150% MQM for 750 total MQM, so presumably you should earn 200% MQM.
Fare class printed on boarding pass was Y/Economy, the overseas flight was W/Premium Economy.
OK thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no minimum for MQDs, but you will get 1000 MQMs on the short haul booked in J class.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There is no minimum for MQDs, but you will get 1000 MQMs on the short haul booked in J class.
Thanks, so this ticket will get me enough for Gold on MQD's and <1,000 MPM short of Silver. Sound right?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hi, tried looking on delta.com, but I couldn't see anything about minimum earnings on Air France.

Itinerary and booking classes are:
  • LHR-CDG (J)
  • CDG-SFO (F)
  • SFO-CDG (F)
  • CDG-LHR (J)
Ticket cost: ~$US 5,500 all in. Purchased through Amex Travel, ticketed on AF stock with AF ticket number.

I think the long-hauls will be 5,583 miles X 200% each, for 22,333 MQM. Is this correct?

Will the J class short-hauls be 1,000 each which is the 500 minimum X 200%, for 2,000 MQM total?

That would be 24,333 MQM total, right?

Lastly, how will the MQD be done? The $5,500 X 60% = 3,300 MQD? Do they include any taxes and fees in that? Will the calculate the short-haul segments separately at 40%, even though this is one ticket booked on "F" fare basis?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-BlooJoo
Are you sure this is a (FULL) J and (FULL) F RT TATL ticket for only $5,500 (even with the IAP discount)? I would expect to see a fare that's three times as much as you paid. OTOH I see that you're starting in Europe and not taking a nonstop, so that could make a difference.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure this is a (FULL) J and (FULL) F RT TATL ticket for only $5,500 (even with the IAP discount)? I would expect to see a fare that's three times as much as you paid. OTOH I see that you're starting in Europe and not taking a nonstop, so that could make a difference.
Where did I say it was "full F"? Of course it's not, since F isn't full fare on AF. P is. It's a discounted First Class fare, which utilizes J booking class on two-class equipment.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, so this ticket will get me enough for Gold on MQD's and <1,000 MPM short of Silver. Sound right?
Yes, I'm also getting ~24,333 MQMs and 6,872 MQDs, although that's based on GCMap.com distances, what DL/AF uses might be slightly different, but probably no more than a 1% variance.

As I'm sure you're aware though, you won't get Gold status until you meet the requirements for both MQDs and MQMs.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, I'm also getting ~24,333 MQMs and 6,872 MQDs, although that's based on GCMap.com distances, what DL/AF uses might be slightly different, but probably no more than a 1% variance.

As I'm sure you're aware though, you won't get Gold status until you meet the requirements for both MQDs and MQMs.
Thanks, yeah. I'd like to shoot for Gold though. So I'll need ANOTHER ~25K+ for Gold by 12/31?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As mentioned, P is the "higher" fare class on Air France, F is more capacity controlled. That said, Skymiles earnings is the same on both.
Mid-$5k is not unusual ex-Europe (non-CDG), but you usually need ~90 days advance purchase and Saturday/7-night stay (and F booking inventory of course). Ex-US is harder to find at that level, I see some ~$6k fares (NY to FCO/MAD/LHR in April 2020), but usually $7-8k r/t. And of course, closer-in, or in P inventory, you're generally looking at $10-15k.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

As mentioned, P is the "higher" fare class on Air France, F is more capacity controlled. That said, Skymiles earnings is the same on both.
Mid-$5k is not unusual ex-Europe (non-CDG), but you usually need ~90 days advance purchase and Saturday/7-night stay (and F booking inventory of course). Ex-US is harder to find at that level, I see some ~$6k fares (NY to FCO/MAD/LHR in April 2020), but usually $7-8k r/t. And of course, closer-in, or in P inventory, you're generally looking at $10-15k.
I'm on an odd ticket. No AP requirement, however ONLY 4 days allowed at destination. Totally bizarre. But a quick turnarounder's dream!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.