Wiki Posts
Search

Twitter messaging ramping up security?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Twitter messaging ramping up security?

I sent a message in today to the Twitter team who are usually pretty good. I asked them about GUC availability on a flight 4 months out. They tell me:

Hello X, to protect the security of your account we require manual verification on each interaction, please verify your SkyMiles account number, full name, date of birth, and e-mail or mailing address. HBB

Mind you I'm not asking them to do anything with my account. Seems odd they need this info. And a waste of time.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM
I think that is just a standard security thing they do. I always have a canned message with all my information that I just copy paste to twitter before I start my conversation.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta PM
Yep. Have seen this same thing in recent months.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good practice by DL. You can create a saved message with that data and simply include it with anything you send to DL.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You already could "link" you account in your DL profile. I can get asking when what something done, but it serves no purpose when just asking a question. I wanted to know the menu for D1 for SEA-PVG, and still got the request.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Easier & much, much more efficient to simply require it of everyone.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
They ask me nearly every time. I either copy a canned message like mentioned above, or even have sent a screenshot of the profile section of the delta app which seemed to work fine.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
My most recent Twitter interactions asked for my full name, PNR, and ticket number. I don't ever recall having to verify my DoB or email on twitter, but usually have to on the phone.

Edit to add: Of course, both of those instances I was asking for a specific request or change for a specific flight. Not just a general inquiry.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As others say, it has become the norm. What I do is to copy the details I provided on a previous conversation and immediately paste them after my initial message.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Good points here. Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:38 am
Formerly known as scootr29

They have been doing this for a while....I actually pre type the answers and guess what they will ask!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:42 am

My guess is that this is the result of the UK GDPR (general data protection regulation). Even though a UK regulation, it applies more broadly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.