DL 92 (JFK-TXL): T2 or T4 at JFK?

Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

DL 92 (JFK-TXL): T2 or T4 at JFK?

Hi all, pardon the super basic question, but I'm on tonight's DL 92 from JFK to Berlin Tegel and in the Delta app and website flight status results, I see it's departing from Terminal 2. No gate number has been posted yet (departure in 11.5 hours).

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I had thought that Terminal 2 didn't handle any international flights. In addition, I see on Flightaware that over the last week this flight has always left from a B-numbered gate (e.g. B35) which I also thought were in Terminal 4.

I'll just sit tight and wait until a gate number gets posted (presumably later today) but I wanted to see if this was in fact possible!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Only international arrivals must land at T4. While not the norm, international flights can an do depart from T2. Looking at the flight, the inbound aircraft is from DUB (which has pre clearance, thus arrives as a domestic flight) and will arrive at T2.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
A few weeks ago I was flying JFK-ATL out of T2. They had the VCE and KEF were both departing at the same time and from adjacent gates. Which seemed like a stupid idea considering most other gates were empty. Why they chose to place those two large boardings right next to each other off anyone's guess...

Does T2 have gates big enough to handle a widebody? Or is it bus boarding?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
A few weeks ago I was flying JFK-ATL out of T2. They had the VCE and KEF were both departing at the same time and from adjacent gates. Which seemed like a stupid idea considering most other gates were empty. Why they chose to place those two large boardings right next to each other off anyone's guess...

Does T2 have gates big enough to handle a widebody? Or is it bus boarding?
They can block a gate if needed, while not the norm, 767s do from time to time depart from it. Bus gate boardings are done from T4.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They can block a gate if needed, while not the norm, 767s do from time to time depart from it. Bus gate boardings are done from T4.
I also don't think it's unheard of for a JFK-LAX 767 to depart from T2, right?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I also don't think it's unheard of for a JFK-LAX 767 to depart from T2, right?
Correct. Although they normally try to keep LAX out of B32 or close to it, due to T4 SC.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Last year I flew out of T2 for JFK-TXL. It was odd. Left from the old RJ megagates at the end of T2.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Plenty of JFK-EU out of T2 - have seen JFK-NCE on a 764 when flying JFK-FRA on a 763 right next to each other at T2, departing at ~8pm and 7.30pm. Probably because of the peak of departures around 7-9pm.
Depending on how early you arrive at the airport you can always go to the T4 skyclub which is a bit nicer and then take the 2' bus ride over.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! Off to T2 it is. Just a lowly no-status passenger, so no lounge access for me (but hey, I'm headed on vacation so it can't be all bad! )
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mayhem
Depending on how early you arrive at the airport you can always go to the T4 skyclub which is a bit nicer and then take the 2' bus ride over.
Unfortunately the bus goes nowhere near the T4 SkyClub! So factor in another 5+ minutes of walking, plus a few minutes waiting time. Not the end of the world, but when you also add on the walking into and through T4 to get to the SkyClub in the first place, I'd personally probably just stick with T2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.