Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LGA to JFK on 2 separate Tix (Question)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA to JFK on 2 separate Tix (Question)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question LGA to JFK on 2 separate Tix (Question)

Hi All,

I'm flying from NC to LGA right around Christmas and then hopping on a flight from JFK to CDG later the same evening. Right now, I've budgeted about a 6-hour buffer time between when I arrive at LGA (5:00 PM) and when my flight to CDG departs. I'm on two separate tickets -- both issued by DL (though the European travel is all on AF) -- so, I don't expect that DL cover transportation cost from LGA to JFK or touch the 2nd itinerary, for example. That said, here are my questions:

1. I've never really braved LGA in the winter time. Accounting for possible delays, is 6 hours enough time to trek from LGA to JFK via one of the airport shuttle services?

2. I'm on a Basic Economy ticket to LGA. In an IROP case, what flexibility, if any, do agents have in getting me to NYC, even if it means JFK? (I'm a DM and realize that agents sometimes exercise a bit more flexibility where possible and when willing.)

Thanks for all your help!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:21 am

SHould be more than enough time. There's a shuttle bus every hour. Delta pays (or used to?) for transfers from LGA-JFK but I would think only if booked as one ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta DM
What day of the week? On the weekend an Uber between LGA and JFK should take like 20 minutes, though a weekday evening could take a bit longer. I've never taken the shuttle so can't attest.

Needless to say, you'd probably be ok with half the time you're budgeting, so you're definitely safe (save for the worst irrops).
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. DL will not pay for ground transportation as this is not a connection.
2. In the event of IRROPS, DL will rebook to LGA and, if you ask, JFK. That has nothing to do with BE.
3. As with all transfers between tickets, the risk drops as the time allowed increases. Only you know your risk tolerance.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All,

I'm flying from NC to LGA right around Christmas and then hopping on a flight from JFK to CDG later the same evening. Right now, I've budgeted about a 6-hour buffer time between when I arrive at LGA (5:00 PM) and when my flight to CDG departs. I'm on two separate tickets -- both issued by DL (though the European travel is all on AF) -- so, I don't expect that DL cover transportation cost from LGA to JFK or touch the 2nd itinerary, for example. That said, here are my questions:

1. I've never really braved LGA in the winter time. Accounting for possible delays, is 6 hours enough time to trek from LGA to JFK via one of the airport shuttle services?

Plenty of time. Ask for a voucher at the LGA Skyclub. Technically should be on one reservation, but I've never had an issue by just saying it couldn't be booked as one reservation.

2. I'm on a Basic Economy ticket to LGA. In an IROP case, what flexibility, if any, do agents have in getting me to NYC, even if it means JFK? (I'm a DM and realize that agents sometimes exercise a bit more flexibility where possible and when willing.)

IRROPS means the fare rules go out the window. Can change connecting city, can change origin/destination, etc... In fact you'll be able to rebook to JFK using the self rebooking tool in app or at delta.com.

DL will protect across these tickets. If you misconnect they will rebook your other ticket for you.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Thanks for everyone's helpful responses!

I'll stop by the LGA SC and see if they'd be willing to offer a voucher for me to get to JFK. I realize that I'm not on one ticket and that they're not obligated to help, but I guess the worst case is that they'll say no.

I arrive around 5:00 PM, so while that's normally rush hour traffic, I'm flying on 12/26. So, I don't think it'll be too hectic in terms of traffic? (I imagine that most folks are either still with loved ones or abroad. Then again, it's NYC, and it's always busy.)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I'll stop by the LGA SC and see if they'd be willing to offer a voucher for me to get to JFK. I realize that I'm not on one ticket and that they're not obligated to help, but I guess the worst case is that they'll say no.

I arrive around 5:00 PM, so while that's normally rush hour traffic, I'm flying on 12/26. So, I don't think it'll be too hectic in terms of traffic? (I imagine that most folks are either still with loved ones or abroad. Then again, it's NYC, and it's always busy.)
26th will be dead. It's the on day you dont have to worry about upgrades.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
26th will be dead. It's the on day you dont have to worry about upgrades.
I have to fly Thanksgiving afternoon this year, I assume it will be similar.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle

I did the LGA-JFK transfer back in April on Good Friday via taxicab (thanks to another epic day of AA IRROPS, part of why I've abandoned them for the moment). Took 30 minutes even with Friday afternoon traffic.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
There is ZERO traffic on Dec 26th. There isn't a mall/shopping center between the airports so should be smooth sailing. If you want to save on taxi fare (or no luggage) you can even perform the transfer via public transportation (just use Google Map) which should take about 1 hr-15 mins.
Weather has been quite favorable in NYC in winter months over the past 3 yrs.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The traffic won't be the issue. It will be reduced schedules. Check specifically for 12/26 when things get closer.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there an airport bus route currently between LGA and JFK, like the ones that go into NYC and stop near Grand Central and the library/park near the Andaz?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
You'll be 100% fine based on all of the above; though, out of curiosity; was there no direct flight from NC to JFK, so that LGA was the only option?

If you would have booked main cabin you could have used SDC to make a co-terminal change even if that NC-JFK flight was more expensive...? But then again MC is more expensive than your BE...
That said; AF is leaving from Terminal 1 so you'd still have had to do a terminal change and re-clear security.

Just curious on how many $ you are saving by flying into LGA assuming you may not get a free transfer.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mayhem
You'll be 100% fine based on all of the above; though, out of curiosity; was there no direct flight from NC to JFK, so that LGA was the only option?

If you would have booked main cabin you could have used SDC to make a co-terminal change even if that NC-JFK flight was more expensive...? But then again MC is more expensive than your BE...
That said; AF is leaving from Terminal 1 so you'd still have had to do a terminal change and re-clear security.

Just curious on how many $ you are saving by flying into LGA assuming you may not get a free transfer.
SDC co-terminal switch is only allowed for Diamonds.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've done the reverse of this when JFK - RDU was crazy expensive and LGA - RDU was cheap (and JFK - LHR - JFK was 30k/person vs. RDU - LHR - RDU which was 75k+).

IRROPs would actually help you here since the app/website/phone will let you book over to JFK without issue (assuming seat availability) -- as noted above has nothing to do with DM, should be an automatic option in the app during IRROPs (scroll to bottom of the screen / page and change destination from LGA to JFK)

6 hours should be fine -- would just Uber/Lyft though and avoid reliance on an airport shuttle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.