Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Should I try to get the MQM/MQD/MQS for the next medallion level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Key benefits of moving up in status level, besides higher upgrade priority and more miles earned per dollar on flights:

Nothing to Silver:
Free access to preferred seats, including exit row on most aircraft types (except on Basic Economy fares)
Free checked bag
Priority check-in
Zone 1 boarding (actually the sixth zone or so to board, but better than regular coach)
Any MQMs over 25K roll over to next year -- if not qualifying for at least Silver, no rollover

Silver to Gold:
SkyPriority security and boarding (including on SkyTeam airlines)
Free same day change and standby
Lounge access when traveling internationally on SkyTeam members and Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Australia
Second free checked bag domestically

Gold to Platinum:
Free Comfort+ at time of booking
Free award redeposit (meaning you can cancel and change award tickets for free, as long as the miles were used from your account. Includes tickets issued for other people or tickets issued before you earned PM.)
Choice benefits -- regional upgrade certificates or $200 gift card or 20K miles
Third free checked bag domestically
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access at LHR

Platinum to Diamond:
Free Clear
More choice benefits -- 3 choices, including things like global upgrades, various Sky Club access options, gifting GM status, 25K miles (up to 3x)
Board with First Class/Delta One
Free same day change to coterminals (i.e. between JFK/LGA or other pairs; this is an official but unpublished benefit)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Should I try to get the MQM/MQD/MQS for the next medallion level?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Silver doesn't get Sky Priority, that starts at Gold (at some airports they can use the priority check-in line)

Silver does get preferred seats at booking (and theoretically C+/F upgrades at T-24) and phone priority over general members.
If you're tall or leggy, preferred seats include the exit row and can make Silver very much worth $150 for some folks over the course of a year.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
At PM you get a $200 choice benefit or 20,000 SM. So now the cost is $1,800. As a PM you get free redeposits for SM award tickets which is normally $150 per ticket. My family of 5 easily has close to 100 redeposits each year with trips we all take together and separately. We often book multiple outbound and return flights and then decide before T-72 hours which ones we will actually take. If you do this on 12 flights next year your $1,800 fee will be paid for. Plus you get automatic DC+ at booking.
this is why we can't have nice things.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: Status... we don't need no stinkin' status
Perhaps you can switch your address on your profile to be a Canadian one. Canadian medallions don't have that silly MQD to deal with... also we get free sky club access when we travel from Canada to anywhere international and back.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GOODFELA
Perhaps you can switch your address on your profile to be a Canadian one. Canadian medallions don't have that silly MQD to deal with... also we get free sky club access when we travel from Canada to anywhere international and back.
That would be fraud if the person doesn't really reside in Canada.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GOODFELA
And people wonder why the airlines keep tightening things and take away benefits. I am pretty sure Delta checks things when you change your home country. This isn't their first rodeo. Geez
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Currently auditing my trips for the year as I’m only 25 MQMs away from the next tier. I did a Hawaiian Airlines interisland hop from HNL-OGG back in February. They credited me with the minimum 500 MQMs but it was ticketed and flown in F. Does anyone know if there should be a 50% (or 100%) MQM bonus or does that not apply in this situation? Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mspdoc
Currently auditing my trips for the year as I’m only 25 MQMs away from the next tier. I did a Hawaiian Airlines interisland hop from HNL-OGG back in February. They credited me with the minimum 500 MQMs but it was ticketed and flown in F. Does anyone know if there should be a 50% (or 100%) MQM bonus or does that not apply in this situation? Thanks!
Was it a codeshare, with a DL flight number for the segment?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was it a codeshare, with a DL flight number for the segment?
Yes it was. It was part of an MSP-OGG trip. MSP-HNL was operated by DL. HNL-OGG was booked through Delta and had a Delta flight number but was operated by Hawaiian.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:38 pm

Reached MQD's, but 85 miles away from minimum MQMs for Medallion Silver

Does Delta ever do exceptions for minor variances such as 85 MQMs?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:40 pm

As a general rule, NO.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted in the other threads on this topic, they will most likely direct you to the Elevate Your Status buy-up offer rather than grant an exception. A mileage run will be your safest bet.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ion-level.html
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:06 pm

So I'm $3 MQD short of silver. (I forgot to account for taxes when I purchased an upgrade that I thought would push me over.)

I haven't had status with Delta before. I work for a large company that lists Delta as its super preferred air carrier. I have no more business travel planned this year.

Any chance I can get a waiver? Or should I just buy Skymiles Select for $59 MQD and be done with it? Seems like such a waste, but so does all the MQMs.

My lowest EYS offer was $299 which is a no-go.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

Pay the $59 and get $64 in drink coupons
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by trentonl
So I'm $3 MQD short of silver. (I forgot to account for taxes when I purchased an upgrade that I thought would push me over.)

I haven't had status with Delta before. I work for a large company that lists Delta as its super preferred air carrier. I have no more business travel planned this year.

Any chance I can get a waiver? Or should I just buy Skymiles Select for $59 MQD and be done with it? Seems like such a waste, but so does all the MQMs.

My lowest EYS offer was $299 which is a no-go.
I’d say with 99.9% certainly a waiver isn’t going to happen. Delta makes it pretty clear that the MQM and MQD cutoffs are what they are. Yes purchasing Skymiles Select isn’t going to get you anything once you’re Silver but you’re not going to get there for less than $59. If Delta is your company’s super preferred carrier and you’ll have business trips in 2020, having status is well worth $59 IMO. You don’t mention how many MQMs you have but keep in mind anything above 25,000 will roll over to next year if you hit Silver. If I were in your situation I’d absolutely go for it.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Thanks. That's what I had gathered. I'd happily donate the $3 (or $30) to get $3 MQDs.

I'm only over the tier requirements by 2k miles. But still, don't want to lose that headstart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.