Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles search clears if not enough miles in account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I've noticed recently on DL.com that if you search for award travel, but don't have enough miles in the account (for example, you plan on transferring miles from AMEX to DL), you can't complete the search. You get 99% of the way there (you can choose both the outbound and return segments), but when you try to go to the next page to see clearly both the proposed itinerary and number of miles, the system tells you that you don't have enough miles and clears the search. Very frustrating....

Last edited by flyerwma; Oct 7, 2019 at 12:54 pm Reason: (removed note to mods. Thanks for fixing!)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do award searches while logged out all the time and never have a problem with getting a total amount. It will have no idea whether of not I have enough miles in these cases. Care to demonstrate?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:13 am

I don’t get it either... you always have the option to purchase miles to make up the shortfall, so how else would you know how much you need. Do I misunderstand?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Trying to replicate but can't paste screen shots well.

After I choose my flights, I get this pop-up:

Insufficient Miles

We’re sorry, your balance of x,xxx Miles is not enough to redeem this Award Ticket. Start a new search or return to your search results to make a different selection.

With choices below of "Start New Search" or "Return to Results" (or x-ing out of the pop-up in the upper right corner).

X-ing out brings me back to book a flight.
Return to Results brings me back to choosing an outbound flight
Start New Search does what it says.

Thanks for the suggestion to try this when not logged in. Counter-intuitive, but that solves the problem..... (Odd).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there still any cases where DL/SkyTeam status results in different award availability or different prices?

You certainly need to log in to see upgrade availability, such as for C+ seats or even upgrades to domestic FC if you're booking very late.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Hopefully this new "enhancement" doesn't mean that DL will soon do what many other airlines do and require you to log-in to search for awards, apparently planning to do what a few others do and not even display results for which you don't have enough miles (to have the hamster-like customers running forever in the wheel of accumulating more SlyMiles, where you just never know how much you really need until you have too much).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Trying to replicate but can't paste screen shots well.

After I choose my flights, I get this pop-up:

Insufficient Miles

We’re sorry, your balance of x,xxx Miles is not enough to redeem this Award Ticket. Start a new search or return to your search results to make a different selection.

With choices below of "Start New Search" or "Return to Results" (or x-ing out of the pop-up in the upper right corner).

X-ing out brings me back to book a flight.
Return to Results brings me back to choosing an outbound flight
Start New Search does what it says.

Thanks for the suggestion to try this when not logged in. Counter-intuitive, but that solves the problem..... (Odd).
So they don't show any flight options at all? Or do they show flights with mileage amounts and then you get the message after selecting them?

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 7, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

You see amounts. But two things:
1. I'm always waiting to see the final result, because it's never totally clear if the amount shown at each stage is (a) the full round trip price or the one way price (and these days, with sky high redemptions, it's even harder to tell) or (b) the price for one passenger or all passengers (same comment). So yes, you have a sense, but it's nice to see the final "recap" screen.

2. The "Insufficient Miles" pop-up screen blocks the "recap" results. So if you want to take a closer look at routing, or equipment, or timing, or mileage, etc., you can't.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

1. I'm always waiting to see the final result, because it's never totally clear if the amount shown at each stage is (a) the full round trip price or the one way price (and these days, with sky high redemptions, it's even harder to tell) or (b) the price for one passenger or all passengers (same comment). So yes, you have a sense, but it's nice to see the final "recap" screen.

2. The "Insufficient Miles" pop-up screen blocks the "recap" results. So if you want to take a closer look at routing, or equipment, or timing, or mileage, etc., you can't.
I tried . I see the full recap . Not enough miles is listed at top totals plus cash listed at bottom like always. Using app FYI.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

I'm getting the same thing when logged in. The X in the pop-up box redirects to start a new search.

I was about 400,000 miles short. I wonder if the magnitude of the shortfall is driving the pop-up (IIRC, there is a max number of miles that can be purchased in any given year).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I have less than 10,000 miles (but many, many more in AMEX). My test search was for a 25K-is domestic flight. So difference in miles doesn't seem to be relevant.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
I tried . I see the full recap . Not enough miles is listed at top totals plus cash listed at bottom like always. Using app FYI.
Notice Tine Rod used the the app. It is a good idea to try different browsers or toolsets when the applications behave in a strange manner. Coders don't always accommodate the nuances of each platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.