Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger With No ID Or Boarding Pass Sneaks Onto DL Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger With No ID Or Boarding Pass Sneaks Onto DL Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With CLEAR, the machine recognizes you without a boarding pass and your flight info pops up on the screen now. I'm not sure you would need to have a physical boarding pass to go through security with CLEAR, just a ticket for travel that day at the airport, especially if you weren't claiming to have PreCheck. You definitely do not normally show an ID with CLEAR.

ADDED: Just today the CLEAR machine didn't require a boarding pass barcode scan. I had my boarding pass in hand, but it didn't seem to matter as everything popped up on the CLEAR screen.

The point is that at least some people can get through TSA airport security without having either a (physical) ID or a boarding pass, although presumably the boarding pass (or an electronic version) is needed at the gate to board.
I always have to show the CLEAR rep my boarding pass and he/she stamps it.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
[QUOTE=cmd320;31597575]
My big thing is how on Earth did the gate agents allow the woman to walk onto the aircraft without scanning any BP. Either the GA was just paying absolutely no attention, or the woman somehow snuck around them (which itself would be quite difficult). I mean, every BP is scanned at the podium and quickly verified, I don't understand how someone could have been waved onto the aircraft without this being confirmed.
/QUOTE]

I have seen this happen within the past few months. Very hectic gate scene at ATL as they started boarding first class/Diamond, an elderly woman who I believe meant to preboard just walked around the crowd and down the jetway. The GA was reading off the scanner and never saw her. As I scanned I pointed her out (now most of the way down the jet way) just to let the GA know her numbers were going to be off...she quickly looked at her and said "ok" and went back to work. Sure enough at the end I saw the gate agent and the flt attendant discussing the "one that got away"....
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Huh? Pre 9-11 you could enter the concourse if you weren't traveling. You would just pass through security as if you were a passenger. Used to do it many times picking up/dropping off friends/relatives.
It's 2019. "Years back" doesn't mean "Pre-9/11"
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=justpassinthru;31601682]
Originally Posted by cmd320
My big thing is how on Earth did the gate agents allow the woman to walk onto the aircraft without scanning any BP. Either the GA was just paying absolutely no attention, or the woman somehow snuck around them (which itself would be quite difficult). I mean, every BP is scanned at the podium and quickly verified, I don't understand how someone could have been waved onto the aircraft without this being confirmed.
/QUOTE]

I have seen this happen within the past few months. Very hectic gate scene at ATL as they started boarding first class/Diamond, an elderly woman who I believe meant to preboard just walked around the crowd and down the jetway. The GA was reading off the scanner and never saw her. As I scanned I pointed her out (now most of the way down the jet way) just to let the GA know her numbers were going to be off...she quickly looked at her and said "ok" and went back to work. Sure enough at the end I saw the gate agent and the flt attendant discussing the "one that got away"....
They do passenger counts for international flights but not domestic. Last week our very full flight boarded two people more than seats on the aircraft so they had to disembark before we took off.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=sydneyracquelle;31601936]
Originally Posted by justpassinthru

They do passenger counts for international flights but not domestic. Last week our very full flight boarded two people more than seats on the aircraft so they had to disembark before we took off.
How do they know it wasn't just older lap kids occupying seats that weren't paid for?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;31602301]
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
How do they know it wasn't just older lap kids occupying seats that weren't paid for?
Actually, they had to pay a ticket with infant lap. If they are over 2 years old or older. They must have their own seat. They have pay a ticket for 2 years old or older.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[QUOTE=N830MH;31603386]

Actually, they had to pay a ticket with infant lap. If they are over 2 years old or older. They must have their own seat. They have pay a ticket for 2 years old or older.
The kid ( = lap "infant") could be 23 months old and big, so that he/she looks over two. No ticket would be needed, but probably no one would question whether the parents had paid for the kid to have his/her own seat. By "older" lap kid I meant a child who is close to but under two years old, rather than a newborn or three month old baby.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
How in the world does she get missed twice. Got by TSA then got on plane with no ticket. Just screening the passengers on the one flight is CYA. Could have had a weapon and passed it on to any aircraft in the terminal. Very scary.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Relevant: just boarded a flight at LAX before 530am. At the time of boarding, only one GA was working. My exit row seat beeped and the screen displayed "verify with customer". The lone GA instead was helping with a pax needing to tag a gate checked luggage while everyone boarded in orderly fashion.

In the above scenario, someone could have easily boarded without a ticket.
I’ve done it. DL connection flight in DTW a couple years ago. Rebooked due to weather. Reservation agent told me to “hurry and go to gate XYZ” but somehow the agent goofed and I was never technically ticketed on the flight. Showed up at the gate without a boarding pass and the gate agent basically just said
“whatever” and waived me through and told me to grab an open seat. Called a few weeks later looking for my miles and DL’s system was still showing that I had missed the flight.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Imagine PAX 1 has cheap BE ticket AAA - BBB.
No ID, but passes security with extra screening.
PAX 1 finds PAX 2 AAA - LHR ticket on ground while roaming airport AAA
PAX 1 Thinks, hmmm could be fun to go to London...
PAX 1 Boards AAA - LHR.
PAX 2 boards AAA - LHR,
BP scanner beeps and alerts GA BP already scanned
GA or FA asks PAX 1 for ID
PAX 1 thinks, oh crap, and flips out, "I lost my BP, I dont have ID, ect."
And now you have a newsworthy event!

Many ways this could happen, some nefarious, some innocent mistake. Not sure it really amounts to a massive newsworthy security breach though.

Heck for a new flier, I could even see someone putting thier BP in the TSA bin, and then picking up a BP that was left from the last passenger. They see Gate X, go there, board, and get "caught" when the legitimate BP is scanned after theirs.

Bottom line, not news.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scracer14
Imagine PAX 1 has cheap BE ticket AAA - BBB.
No ID, but passes security with extra screening.
PAX 1 finds PAX 2 AAA - LHR ticket on ground while roaming airport AAA
PAX 1 Thinks, hmmm could be fun to go to London...
PAX 1 Boards AAA - LHR.
PAX 2 boards AAA - LHR,
BP scanner beeps and alerts GA BP already scanned
GA or FA asks PAX 1 for ID
PAX 1 thinks, oh crap, and flips out, "I lost my BP, I dont have ID, ect."
And now you have a newsworthy event!

Many ways this could happen, some nefarious, some innocent mistake. Not sure it really amounts to a massive newsworthy security breach though.

Heck for a new flier, I could even see someone putting thier BP in the TSA bin, and then picking up a BP that was left from the last passenger. They see Gate X, go there, board, and get "caught" when the legitimate BP is scanned after theirs.

Bottom line, not news.
This could possibly happen on a domestic flight but not internationally where they match passport with BP at the gate as you board.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;31603393]
Originally Posted by N830MH
The kid ( = lap "infant") could be 23 months old and big, so that he/she looks over two. No ticket would be needed, but probably no one would question whether the parents had paid for the kid to have his/her own seat. By "older" lap kid I meant a child who is close to but under two years old, rather than a newborn or three month old baby.
International flights any child, including lap must have a ticket.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
How in the world does she get missed twice. Got by TSA then got on plane with no ticket. Just screening the passengers on the one flight is CYA. Could have had a weapon and passed it on to any aircraft in the terminal. Very scary.
Passenger was screened. They only got past the ID checker, they were screened like any passenger.

FWIW, I dont get why she didn't just move. All arguing did was ensure she got caught. If she had moved, no one would have been the wiser.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:27 am

[QUOTE=flyerCO;31604557]

International flights any child, including lap must have a ticket.

Passenger was screened. They only got past the ID checker, they were screened like any passenger.

FWIW, I dont get why she didn't just move. All arguing did was ensure she got caught. If she had moved, no one would have been the wiser.
We were talking about domestic flights until post # 55, which was made after my post about potential lap kid confusion causing numbers to be wrong with a couple extra people being boarded without seats.

Yeah, often the self-upgrades seem to avoid getting caught by pretending to have taken the wrong seat and quietly moving to another seat that hopefully (for the thief) isn't assigned to anyone else.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Has there been a follow-up story to this original?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
The FBI declined to press criminal charges.
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/woman-delta-flight-fbi

I think they didn't want to embarrass the TSA screeners. How did this person get past the TSA checkpoint with neither a BP or ID? Given that she showed the FA a picture of herself from her phone when asked for an ID, I seriously doubt she had any form of an ID to show the TSA screeners. That alone should have stopped her at the checkpoint.

The gate agents boarding a flight aren't responsible for verifying identity. Their job is to get the right passengers on the flight. Having a boarding pass isn't necessarily some legal requirement to get on the plane. Think about jump seat passengers. They don't have boarding passes (there's a different protocol for them of course). The only airline employee who I think really cares about who's on the plane is the pilot-in-command. They kind of like their passenger manifest and the butts-in-seats to match because of various reasons related to flying the plane.

I think actions such as what this woman did are criminal in nature. She attempted to illegally steal a service from the airline. She breached security at an airport and that's a felony. She also caused a great inconvenience for the passengers on that flight. What does she have to do to suffer the appropriate punishment for her actions?

They finally charged the Chicago stowaway with a felony.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/serial-sto...opstories.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.