Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta hasn't deducted miles for upgrade award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta hasn't deducted miles for upgrade award

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GregInMN
This just happened to me on a trip to ICN. When I went to check in online +24, it failed. I called the help line and they said they needed to reissue and deduct points. All looked good online but when I went to airport kiosk it failed again, had to stand in line to get check in completed. A bit of a hassle but it wasn't too busy so no big deal.
Thisbused to happen all the time with PMUs/GUC’s right after the NWA merger. Seems like this is hitting mileage upgrades now? The GUC upgrade queue has actually worked for me lately and I haven’t had any airport issues in past few years but sad to hear it still occurs. Lesson is if you have a supposed upgrade and no reissue has occurred call day before for a manual reissue.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta PM
I had this same thing happen to me a few weeks ago DTW-ICN. When I went to check in and I was unable to (and, had noticed that the miles weren't deducted from my account). Reached out via Twitter and within a few minutes I had an award redemption email and my ticket was re-issued. Glad I was proactive so as not to lose my seat.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

The knowledge on this forum assounds me. You all knew more than the Delta rep on Twitter. I very nicely asked if they could reissue the ticket and deduct the miles. The rep said it had already been reissued, and yet, also said they were "still working on your reservation," which didn't make sense. I said, no problem, I will just check back before the trip (it isn't until next June). The rep said, sorry you misunderstand, the ticket has been reissued. I said, no worries, we will agree to disagree, because I am confident it has not since the receipt number and class on the receipt has not changed. About twenty minutes later I received an email confirmation and miles redemption email for each passenger. Suddenly, my receipt numbers and class have changed on the receipt. It is one less thing I need to think about as the trip gets closer. Thanks everyone for your help!

I still gave the rep a perfect survey score, because at least he/she took the time to look into it further and resolve it. I don't expect them to know everything, but he/she cared enough to get to the bottom of it.
gooselee and Zorak like this.

Last edited by BradLivermore; Oct 11, 2019 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
This was a super helpful thread, thank you.

I did via twitter, then phone, a switch to K class (via $$$), then an upgrade to D1 to LHR via miles.

After getting my seat in delta one, I noticed the miles weren't deducted. Originally, I wasn't going to do anything, but this thread made me proactive.

My receipt on Delta.com had it as a KU fare and the same ticket number as the coach reservation.

Asked on twitter if everything looked good and they said yes, but waiting for reissue. I asked them to reissue the ticket and the 65k miles were deducted and I got the award redemption email, but no new "Your flight receipt" emails. The redemption is on my account, but it doesn't have a ticket number or destination. Is that ok?

My receipt on Delta.com now says OY and status: open. The ticket number has changed... first number was my old T fare ticket... second was the upgrade to a K fare... then the third number is this new one.

Should I assume I'm good to go? Its on Monday and I'm battling a nasty cold, so having a bed on this flight is going to be crucial...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BradLivermore
The knowledge on this forum assounds me. You all knew more than the Delta rep on Twitter. I very nicely asked if they could reissue the ticket and deduct the miles. The rep said it had already been reissued, and yet, also said they were "still working on your reservation," which didn't make sense. I said, no problem, I will just check back before the trip (it isn't until next June). The rep said, sorry you misunderstand, the ticket has been reissued. I said, no worries, we will agree to disagree, because I am confident it has not since the receipt number and class on the receipt has not changed. About twenty minutes later I received an email confirmation and miles redemption email for each passenger. Suddenly, my receipt numbers and class have changed on the receipt. It is one less thing I need to think about as the trip gets closer. Thanks everyone for your help!

I still gave the rep a perfect survey score, because at least he/she took the time to look into it further and resolve it. I don't expect them to know everything, but he/she cared enough to get to the bottom of it.
All of this seems correct (depending on your date of departure the ticket could easily still be in the reissue queue with no harm done), but I'm puzzled that you didn't request to waitlist the other (at least DL operated) segments in your itinerary for upgrades also as it should be the same price in miles, assuming that you have a true mileage upgrade award and aren't just paying the price difference in miles. You can waitlist up to the day of departure--upgrades with miles officially can't be done at the gate, but some GAs are willing if they know how and if there's time.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
This was a super helpful thread, thank you.

I did via twitter, then phone, a switch to K class (via $$$), then an upgrade to D1 to LHR via miles.

After getting my seat in delta one, I noticed the miles weren't deducted. Originally, I wasn't going to do anything, but this thread made me proactive.

My receipt on Delta.com had it as a KU fare and the same ticket number as the coach reservation.

Asked on twitter if everything looked good and they said yes, but waiting for reissue. I asked them to reissue the ticket and the 65k miles were deducted and I got the award redemption email, but no new "Your flight receipt" emails. The redemption is on my account, but it doesn't have a ticket number or destination. Is that ok?

My receipt on Delta.com now says OY and status: open. The ticket number has changed... first number was my old T fare ticket... second was the upgrade to a K fare... then the third number is this new one.

Should I assume I'm good to go? Its on Monday and I'm battling a nasty cold, so having a bed on this flight is going to be crucial...
Yes you're good to go. No email isnt unusual. The agent has to tell it to send one to you. The ticket has been reissued in business class, which means the process is done.
gooselee and uppereastsider like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by gooselee
<snip>

Just a bit of trivia: All of this is carryover from olden times when you would be issued a paper ticket, and at check-in (physically at the airport, on the day of travel all control of tickets transferred to the airport) you would quite literally redeem a page/coupon from that paper ticket in order to receive your boarding pass. It was a physical trade of ticket coupon for boarding pass.
Yep. Carbon paper for 2nd and later coupons, you held on to them for your life, and if any IRROPS or changes, you could FIM (is that right?) to another airline with a little sticker.

E-tickets were out for 3 to 4 years before I started feeling comfortable NOT having a paper ticket on me.

And to apply for missed mileage, I think most airlines required the original boarding pass stub to be mailed in??

wow, i'm old
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mcjava
Yep. Carbon paper for 2nd and later coupons, you held on to them for your life, and if any IRROPS or changes, you could FIM (is that right?) to another airline with a little sticker.

E-tickets were out for 3 to 4 years before I started feeling comfortable NOT having a paper ticket on me.

And to apply for missed mileage, I think most airlines required the original boarding pass stub to be mailed in??

wow, i'm old
Get this: My parents ran a travel agency when I was a kid, and every so often our dot matrix printers would go down for whatever reason. When that happened, I would be sitting in the back hand writing paper tickets for customers - IIRC there were a bunch of confirmation codes and such you'd get from our Worldspan green screen that had to be transcribed just-so, along with of course the flight/pax info and fare calculation line (which wasn't too different from the fare calcs we still see on e-receipts today).

I still have occasional flashbacks to those shiny, pink ticket books and my hand getting tired from having to write so hard to get through all the carbon copy layers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.